Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

I wonder if they will be akin to the fantasy dwarves of 8th edition. Amazing shooting / artillery, with strong melee Comp, with the ability to completely shutdown a psychic phase / spell for a CP or a once per game type thing.

Or they may push them into the realm of steam punk stunties, giving them great movement and mediocre to good mid range shooting, with anvil units that make them hard to shift off objectives.

I could also see them getting some secondaries revolving around mid board, opponent's objectives or some such thing.

Yeah there was absolutely no chance they were going to be officially called Squats, for oh so many reasons.

I mean, just google clarity if nothing else, but it was absolutely a slur in universe from the beginning even if it was their irl faction name.

To clarify the squatting, Andy Chambers said in a recent interview that essentially noone in studio had much interest in them and nobody seeeemed to care* they never got a 2nd ed codex or attention past their black book entries so by third edition they soft "squatted" em.

*I mean people did, but pre internet it as actual work to tell GW that! 

Much as I love the original chaps, I agree squats needed to go as a title. Along with space dwarves. Leagues of votann isn’t terrible but the title is a bit odd compared to the other factions out there. As a faction, space marines aren’t referred to as chapters, nor Astra miliatarum regiments nor necrons as dynasties. I guess the closest comparator would be genestealer cults. Including one of the old terminologies (leagues, brotherhoods etc) is a fair shout, and I can understand then not wanting to go down the demiurg route so as not to tie them into tau, though I’d be interested to see if they get a mention as a subfaction who have allied with tau in the past.

It’d be cool if the Leagues of Votann were a faction within the race of the little guys, and perhaps the Demiurge were another faction released down the track. They could ally with each other, the Demiurge could possible Tau aligned, and the LoV aligned to the Imperium of Man. Could even open the door to having ‘Chaos Squats’.

It’d be cool if the Leagues of Votann were a faction within the race of the little guys, and perhaps the Demiurge were another faction released down the track. They could ally with each other, the Demiurge could possible Tau aligned, and the LoV aligned to the Imperium of Man. Could even open the door to having ‘Chaos Squats’.

I’m pretty sure the Demiurg are an unrelated but superficially similar Xenos race and actually nothing to do with Squats?

Do we think the Leagues will show up in the Heresy? Plenty of other Humans kicking about, and if they were nommed by the Tyranids, doesn't that mean they were around for most of M30-M40?

In the Lore? High chance of them showing up, references for the Mk3 armour was changed from Squats to  wars waged close to the galactic core.

In the table top game? If the Provinces survive into 30k 2.0 then Imperial Militia with abhuman helots and survivors of the dark age can give you squats that way, since I doubt they'll get their own army listing if GW are cutting a lot of stuff out of the current Legions army list.

so when something gets 'squated' in the setting, what do we call it now? everything is back! Getting AoSed?

Tombkinged.

:cry:

Had the very same convo with a friend. We went for Brettowned.

Slanned, they never made it out of the 1st ed rulebook. 

"Firstborned":teehee:

Anyway, bringing things back on... do we think Squats will be mining based in theme? The armour certainly doesn't seem that concerned with that particular aesthetic. The promotional reveal video implies they board space hulks and drifting wreckage for salvage, which would bring them into conflict with more races, included the Imperium, from a theme based idea so this could definitely be a positive revision.

Anyway, bringing things back on... do we think Squats will be mining based in theme? The armour certainly doesn't seem that concerned with that particular aesthetic. The promotional reveal video implies they board space hulks and drifting wreckage for salvage, which would bring them into conflict with more races, included the Imperium, from a theme based idea so this could definitely be a positive revision.

I think any mining in their new theme will be more on the "asteroid mining" scale, so it'll be implied that it's done by mining ships rather than individuals with tools. 

Then individuals will be more focussed along the lines of Salvagers and Wreckers and there may even be some suggested crossover into "pre-emptive salvaging"*.

Both of these let them be a more nomadic, space-faring race so not completely undermining the previous "Homeworlds eaten by 'Nids" fluff.

Rik

*Nice ship you have there, it'd be a shame if someone were to *salvage* it :wink.:

Renaming the 700 Leagues to the Leagues of Votann is fine. 

The same way Space Marines are Adeptus Astartes and Imperial Guard is Astra Militarum. Squats is too generic.

Besides, Votann is a bit similar to Wotan (or Wuotan or Wutan) which is another name for Odin...

I'm sure there will be some sub-faction that seeks out space hulks for the sole purpose of eradicating Gene stealers.

It'll be like the grudge bearers or something. They are on some vengeance crusade. There will probably be a pirate/corsair factions, and then the general traders, mercenaries, and then weaponsmiths or technosmiths.

My initial thoughts on the reveal prompted me to think in those terms.

Although, having space beserkers/space troll slayers thene would be absolutely amazing.

I'm sure there will be some sub-faction that seeks out space hulks for the sole purpose of eradicating Gene stealers.

It'll be like the grudge bearers or something. They are on some vengeance crusade. There will probably be a pirate/corsair factions, and then the general traders, mercenaries, and then weaponsmiths or technosmiths.

My initial thoughts on the reveal prompted me to think in those terms.

Although, having space beserkers/space troll slayers thene would be absolutely amazing.

Do you remember the Fantasy Mercenary Unit "Long Drong's Slayer Pirates"? 

Now a 40k version of those guys would be AMAZING!

Rik