Initial 1st April 2022 reveal, new lore & articles discussion

Joe

If existing Squat collectors are pissed off that their models will be invalidated then they have absolutely no right to be, and I would imagine a 'fair few' is more likely to be an infinitesimally small % of the current, active player base. 

If you want to use your current squat collection to play 1st and 2nd edition then you needn't buy anything new at all, but accusing GW of bleeding you because they create new models after more than 30 years is quite unfair, IMO

My bleeding comment was aimed at another faction that they have got us buying into again, but we have already had a mod warning about primaris today Im not going over that again, and yes a fair few is a small % of the current player base when most of the player base were born after the Squats were squatted, but they have every right to be pissed off, when minis they have bought have been replaced. 

As a customer and long time player who has thrown thousands of pounds at them over 30 years, Ill voice my opinion about the company, its not the fact they are releasing new minis, its the aesthetic of said new minis I am worried about, I dont want them to release more AoS style dwarves with bolters, I would prefer them to look at least similar to the Squats of old. 

I knew there was a reason I gave 20 Arkanaut Company  Admech weapons... Been using them as Lucius Vanguard, fluff-wise a 'salvage and recovery' mercenary company. Have a frigate in box for them too to turn into a... flyer?

Squats have been telegraphed for sure, so colour me excited, even if the 'thin edge of the wedge' is 'only' a kill team this year or somesuch.

Seems like baseline profile of T4 1W or T3 2W with 3+ armour will make them distinct enough from other factions? With Orks at T5 and Marines all at 2W soon enough, there's some good 'more than normal human but less than Ork/Marine' design space that's been opened up. Funny to think that Squats could basically pick up the torch from chaos marines as 'the 1W T4 power armour faction', but I could see them doing hardened vac-suits on everyone for basically 'an army of Sororitas terminators' at 2W T3.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Squats were also in the rumor dump that's been 100% correct so far so I don't think this is a joke.

Dont forget that bit of colour text in one of the books last edition saying a Squat ship has returned. 

Think these will be Squats that were elsewhere in the galaxy when the Nids ate their homes? 

'Have I missed anything?'

'You may wanna sit down Grymm'

'After I have been home'

'About that...'

They captured some kind of Mechanicus explorator vessel near the outer part of the galactic core using a gravity-based tractor beam.

Would imply that Squats are still alive and well somewhere around their original empire.

Or that there's only a few of them left after some kind of cataclysm and those who remained spend their lives as intergalactic scrap dealers? 

That would still be "Squats are still alive and well somewhere around their original empire."

No "or" needed.

We will have to wait and see what GW wants to do with them. All we have so far is a blurb from a book saying they have ships using tractor beams to capture Mechanicus vessels, and a shot from this latest teaser showing a Squat with an exo-suit and grav-gun.

It's wise for companies to actually follow through on their jokes about stuff - remember pokemon go started as an April 1st gag?

This is definitely an april fools message, however GW *have* to be working on Squats. Remember the plastic Thunderhawk in the april video that came true...

If existing Squat collectors are pissed off that their models will be invalidated then they have absolutely no right to be, and I would imagine a 'fair few' is more likely to be an infinitesimally small % of the current, active player base.

If you want to use your current squat collection to play 1st and 2nd edition then you needn't buy anything new at all, but accusing GW of bleeding you because they create new models after more than 30 years is quite unfair, IMO.

My bleeding comment was aimed at another faction that they have got us buying into again, but we have already had a mod warning about primaris today Im not going over that again, and yes a fair few is a small % of the current player base when most of the player base were born after the Squats were squatted, but they have every right to be pissed off, when minis they have bought have been replaced.

As a customer and long time player who has thrown thousands of pounds at them over 30 years, Ill voice my opinion about the company, its not the fact they are releasing new minis, its the aesthetic of said new minis I am worried about, I dont want them to release more AoS style dwarves with bolters, I would prefer them to look at least similar to the Squats of old.

I feel you, but for a faction that is the Trope Maker of 'Squated' that they dumped near 30 years ago....

Almost certainly it's getting a DE style refresh.

If you want to use your current squat collection to play 1st and 2nd edition then you needn't buy anything new at all, but accusing GW of bleeding you because they create new models after more than 30 years is quite unfair, IMO.

I feel you, but for a faction that is the Trope Maker of 'Squated' that they dumped near 30 years ago....

Almost certainly it's getting a DE style refresh.

A simple refresh and building on what has come before like the Dark Eldar would be fine, you can mix in the 3rd ed sculpts and the new stuff and it doesnt look that bad, I just want old and new Squats to be useable together, as I have said before, if they still have trikes and thud guns (two things that scream Squats imho) then all is cool, the basics are still there, Im just worried GW will give them all mech suits or something stupid like the primaris Mario kart. 

Just had a thought, technically Squats never went away, the home worlds were nommed by nids,  but what happened to all the Chaos Squats? Hope we get those later down the line as well at some point. 

The Dark Elder had plastic models.

In all likelihood, GSC are the more apt comparison. They'll echo the general vibe, but I wouldn't expect 1-for-1 model replacements. 

Same as Harlequins, they came back without being changed that much. 

Just had a thought, technically Squats never went away, the home worlds were nommed by nids,  but what happened to all the Chaos Squats? Hope we get those later down the line as well at some point. 

Chaos Squats with that same ancient Mesopotamian vibe from Chaos Dwarves would be rad.

If you want to use your current squat collection to play 1st and 2nd edition then you needn't buy anything new at all, but accusing GW of bleeding you because they create new models after more than 30 years is quite unfair, IMO

Well wait until tomorrow... If you look real hard you might see one...

Well wait until tomorrow... If you look real hard you might see one...

Something you want to share with the class?

I mean... Sure, you can still use 1st edition Marines and Orks if you like, but they look badly outdated and out of scale these days and i would imagine any new squats will be the same. Things have moved on and as i may have mentioned in the Amicus thread a few times, remember that the original squat line failed to capture enough imaginations to continue, im sure they wont be looking to burn money on behalf of the minority who bought them, and i count myself amongst them, hell, i had a bag of bikes and trikes in my hands this morning considering stripping them for our Gorkamorka redux weekend in the Summer :D 

The Eldar of course are still using models from the old days but thats finally changing! 

I might get lynched for this, but squatting the Squats was a good move imho.

Bringing them back for Necromunda is one thing cuz Necromunda is whacky first and grim second, but making them their own faction is a mistake.

April's Fools I hope.

Give some context please.  Why do you feel its a mistake?  The idea of a new non-imperium faction is very appealing to me.  

Edited by Theduke08

Bringing them back for Necromunda is one thing cuz Necromunda is whacky first and grim second, but making them their own faction is a mistake.

April's Fools I hope.

Give some context please.  Why do you feel its a mistake?  The idea of a new non-imperium faction is very appealing to me.  

Are Squats not Imperium?

I imagine Squats would be somewhat more serious if they returned now. I don’t think Space dwarves are inherently wacky. 

April's Fools I hope.

Are Squats not Imperium?

I imagine Squats would be somewhat more serious if they returned now. I don’t think Space dwarves are inherently wacky. 

No they are not Imperium.  They are not even really friendly with them.  

April's Fools I hope.

Are Squats not Imperium?

No more wacky that space elves IMHO

Squats were also in the rumor dump that's been 100% correct so far so I don't think this is a joke.

This. That rumor dump has been 100% accurate about everything.

I think the April fool's "prank" was that this was a real teaser for Squats coming back and people will think it is fake because it was on April Fool's day.

I think Squats are coming back, when is the better question. I would kill to play Squats again.