Space Marines need help…

CCE1981

Honest question to loyalist players- do you really want a new 9th ed codex you will be lucky to see 12 months of use from before 10th ed releases and will be likely a launch edition army anyway? I think you all should be asking for the missing chapter supplements at this point in time instead of a new base codex.

Not really because like you said it's only going to be good for a year tops and it's not going to fix marines problems. I think it's going to be like the chaos version 2 book so not many changes just the rules for new models.

Honestly an edition change scares me enough as it is because I'm not having enough fun to justify a rulebook, index, marine codex, and supplement. That's with me skipping the chapter approved lol.

Honest question to loyalist players- do you really want a new 9th ed codex you will be lucky to see 12 months of use from before 10th ed releases and will be likely a launch edition army anyway? I think you all should be asking for the missing chapter supplements at this point in time instead of a new base codex.

Absolutely not, for the reasons you mentioned. I'm not willing to pay for two codices in a three year edition, when the main reason we'd need one is intentional, over the top power creep.

Seriously, there's absolutely no way I'm going to pay for using a second codex for 9th.

For what it is worth, a friend of a friend of a friend told me you can get the rules from an encyclopedia website without buying a book. A friend, not me.

BattleScribe will also have updated rules/stats/points shortly after any codex releases.

Absolutely not, for the reasons you mentioned. I'm not willing to pay for two codices in a three year edition, when the main reason we'd need one is intentional, over the top power creep.

But why? It's a codex book. You don't have to buy new models. If you chose to chase the Meta hard, and re-purpose your army that's entirely on you.

A new codex would breathe a new lease of life into a faction that is struggling. But there's something worse than the lack of power - the rules are simply boring.

The new books aren't just powerful, the rules are also interesting and dynamic.

Edited by Orange Knight

a FAQ and Errata would be better than a full blown codex redux. adding <CORE> to every vehicle except FLYERS, TRANSPORTS and FORTIFICATIONS would be simple and fix alot.

a FAQ and Errata would be better than a full blown codex redux. adding <CORE> to every vehicle except FLYERS, TRANSPORTS and FORTIFICATIONS would be simple and fix alot.

That isn't going to fix the army. A Repulsor with re-rolls is still grossly over-costed, underpowered and lacks durability, for example.

I was very much on board with a book that did some minor updates, to be released alongside supplement books for the current edition, but the other factions that have recently been updated have left Marines far behind. Some units require significant ammendments, re-writes and changes to their profiles.

That isn't going to fix the army. A Repulsor with re-rolls is still grossly over-costed, underpowered and lacks durability, for example.

I was very much on board with a book that did some minor updates, to be released alongside supplement books for the current edition, but the other factions that have recently been updated have left Marines far behind. Some units require significant ammendments, re-writes and changes to their profiles.

I agree that vehicles are overcosted, but that can be fixed in a munitorum field manual, which would totally align with GW's desire to nickel and dime every last cent.

The rules can be fixed in an Errata. Remember, the Doctrines and Hatefull Assault were initially deployed in an FAQ and Errata in 8th Ed, so something like a Data Slate fix is totally plausible.

Edited by Djangomatic82

GW will never do that.

They have shown one thing consistently over the last few years, in 8th and 9th edition.

Those manuals are good at nerfing units, but they have never given anything a significant boost. Look at comically over-costed units that have struggles since the start of 9th. They give them a 2-5% point drop here and there, and nothing ever changes.

They only take a serious look at rules when they update a codex.

Edited by Orange Knight

beyond all that, I think if GW just put on their big boy pants and scrapped the Primaris/First born discrimination, it would make the game and community better.

+1 attack to all F.B infantry and I'd reduce the following units to the following base costs, no touching upgrades, other than M.L's on Tacs, those I'd make free.

14 PPM: Tacticals, Assault Intercessors, Assault Squad (+1 for J.P.), Reivers (Make all their upgrades free), Devastators

15 PPM: Intercessors

16 PPM: Sternguard

18 PPM: Incursors, Veteran Intercessors

19 PPM: Vanguard Veterans, Company Vets (1 PPM for JP's)

20 PPM: Infiltrators

24 PPM: Heavy Intercessors

25 PPM: Bike Squad

30 PPM: Drop Pods (and friendly units can fire at enemies in engagment range of the drop pod, to fix exploits)

31 PPM: Assault Terminatorors

34 PPM : Relic Terminators

35 PPM : Terminators

60 PPM: Landspeeders, L.S. Tornadoes, Rhino's

70 PPM: Dreadnaughts, Predator Anhilator

80 PPM: Venerable Dreads, L.S. Typhoon, Predator Destructor, Razerback (Not CORE)

100 PPM: Contemptor Dreads, Storm Talon Gunship (not CORE)

110 PPM: Stormhawk Interceptor (not CORE)

165 PPM: Landraiders (All Variants)

190 PPM: Storm Raven Gunship (not CORE)

But why? It's a codex book. You don't have to buy new models. If you chose to chase the Meta hard, and re-purpose your army that's entirely on you.

A new codex would breathe a new lease of life into a faction that is struggling. But there's something worse than the lack of power - the rules are simply boring.

The new books aren't just powerful, the rules are also interesting and dynamic.

I absolutely understand, that you'd like to have more interesting rules for Marines and an army that can compete - so do I. But am not willing to be milked for a codex twice an edition when they could re-establish balance and fix a lot of units by simply appropriately pricing units, and breathe some fresh air into a few others by releasing updated data sheets and updated points for free. All point updates for all factions should be free btw, but that's another topic.

I'm not giving them money only to fuel the power creep driven sales.

I think a new codex I'd likely as we have HH coming out, and they likely want 40k players to buy a lot of the stuff, so it will probably include the Spartan and such, and also there are the rumored new dread, missile troops, and more which are supposed to be out over the summer, maybe in a box against chaos. People want the units they buy to be in the book and not a pdf. I think we will see a 2.0 space marine codex over the summer or early fall because of those reasons.

That and they are the poster boys, and power creep this edition has been real.

There's a lot of stuff coming in plastic for 30k, so I wouldn't necessarily hedge bets on it making it directly into Codex: Space Marines. That's a lot of datasheets, which is going to increase over time, and I'm not certain if there's like a Deimos predator, they'll expand the 40k datasheet to give you volkite guns, etc.

They did drop all pretext of needing the tactical kit for example to conform to 40k loadouts, as there's no special or heavy weapons, at least as far as what has been said.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

There's a lot of stuff coming in plastic for 30k, so I wouldn't necessarily hedge bets on it making it directly into Codex: Space Marines. That's a lot of datasheets, which is going to increase over time, and I'm not certain if there's like a Deimos predator, they'll expand the 40k datasheet to give you volkite guns, etc.

People often say things like "of course Firstborn are here to stay, just look at everything coming out for 30k."

Or "no way GW is going to not double dip on selling these models in both settings."

The assumption being that whatever is made for 30k will have rules created for 40k as well.

Often 30k units do though.

They often do, but the recent ones haven't, so we need to consider when they were released. Those are the two most recent tank/vehicle releases for Space Marines, and those did not receive them.

I really hope the plan isnt to Legends the First Born eventually.

How terrible will ALL the upcomming SM codex's be if our excuse for GW not putting the effort in to make over 1/2 of our units fun to play is just a big "Meh, there gonna legends them anyways, so why bother."

I still think the Primaris and Principia Marines will eventually be split into separate codices. The latter just have an enormous number of units and could have all bases covered with tweaking to those. Plus the potential for incorporating any new Heresy units that roll out.

Meanwhile, expecting GW to actually combine their brand-spanking-new models into common datasheets and thus give players less reason to buy all the new flavors is somewhere between "Dreadnought yells at cloud" and "you Primaris get off my lawn."

I still think the Primaris and Principia Marines will eventually be split into separate codices.

Not going to happen. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

GW has gone out of their way to have both flavors of Space Marine fighting as single units in lore and artwork.

Primaris-only will not happen unless GW phases OG Marines out of the game entirely.