The Aett: Vith Legion Tactica

Slips

6 hours ago, MichaelCarmine said:

Usually i also play a Cataphractii Great Frostblade Jarl with a squad of hammer-Varagyr and the Howl of Morkai WL-trait.

Right now i'm building a Tartaros Commandsquad for Redmane and a Spatha Jarl with full 9man Spatha Commandsquad and spatha-priest - 14" move, plus 3" (5" with Bloody Claw/Pale Hunter bonuses) on the charge, not pinnable, +1 WS on Charge *maniacalgiggle*

What do you use as Spatha?

3 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

What do you use as Spatha?

The OG Spathas actually grew on me, so i'll actually use them now.

Played with the thought of kitbashin with the primaris bikes, cause they look dope, but they are much bigger and i don't think, they would fit on the same bases. ^^

The Spathas also have better surfaces for decals in my eyes. =]

On 5/24/2023 at 4:09 AM, MichaelCarmine said:

Right now i'm building a Tartaros Command Squad for Redmane and a Spatha Jarl with full 9man Spatha Commandsquad and spatha-priest - 14" move, plus 3" (5" with Bloody Claw/Pale Hunter bonuses) on the charge, not pinnable, +1 WS on Charge *maniacalgiggle*

Sounds like you’ve got some great options going there! How are you kitting out the Tartaros and the Spatha Command Squad?

I've got 9 dudes left that I could make into 9 plasma gunners for a Tactical Support Squad or 9 Seekers w the kraken bolters.  Which should I make? 

My Rout has a big Despoiler and Grey Slayer squad, and then 2 Tartaros units, plus a jump Praetor and jumpy Command Squad, and I just made 2x5 shotgun/melta bomb Scout units, plus a couple Speakers of the Dead and Apothecaries.

I'm leaning Seekers but wondering what other opinions are.

I'd err on the side of TSS Plasma squad, simply as you don't seem to have an answer to Dreads from what you've listed there. (Tartaros would be a good, but expensive Tarpit, but WS4 vs WS5 is an uphill battle and the scout squad are better suited to blowing Tanks or transports with their Melta bombs), also makes a nice counter to Terminators (4+ breaching) which removes some of the road blocks you could face while charging down field as looking at it you can probably take most other infantry based threats pretty handily with the slayers and despoilers, depending on what you're facing.

Excellent points!  I went with the plasma, but I just did 7, as I realized during my game last night I should be using more MSU Despoilers to mitigate getting Swept in combat, which happened twice at least.

I used my run n charge, forget the shooting phase Rout.  Was going decently but I made some blunders big time.  It was Hammer n Anvil with Tide of Carnage (I think that was the mission).  My buddy had Thousand Sons and took Pyromancy across every dude he could take it....and laid down countless amounts of large blast Str6 hit templates that were also difficult terrain and did hits walking through it.  Reminded me of that Death Guard Rite of war with all the dangerous terrain kinda.  That ended up killing my jump Praetor from Dangerous Terrain (LAME).

It was zone scoring, so I wanted to use my 5 Line units to get up close fast and pin him down early.  Kinda worked.  But turn 2 I made the mistake of charging a Rhino with my claw Termies and it exploded and pinned them (ALSO LAME), and turn 3 I made the mistake of charging a tac squad with a long strung out Despoiler Squad, so the choppy guys couldn't really take care of things like they should.  Instead they should have charged the enemy Praetor floating in the wind.  Also, apparently the TSons have WS5 fancy pants Terminators, didn't realize that!  So after exploding his Land Raider and taking a few of every unit around it with that, his Achaen Termies charged my Fisty Termies and that didn't last long.  Grey Slayers charged those termies and ended up falling back.....and then got charged.....and failed their Ld check and POOF, gone for good.  WOW, that sucked.  Meanwhile my Command Squad was killing things all over the place, but then charged the Achaens and lasted a while but just couldn't finish them off before dying after tanking many tabar breaching rolls.  

The game came down to my claw Termies failing a charge, then the game ending after turn 5, so they couldn't catch the last scoring unit, and thus I couldn't catch up on points.  Ended 3 to 1 point since we were both contesting his own zone, but he got Warlord, the most surviving units, and killing a Pride of the Legion termie unit.  Great learning match.  I like MSU Slayers and Despoilers I think but bigger Termie units (6 was about right).  I really like the Speakers of the Dead, but his Chaplains provided him with much better Ld rolls and still gave Hatred, so I might dub my Speakers Chaplains next time to see how they fare.  FNP is great but gets flubbed a bunch.  Getting Pinned and Falling Back assaulted is terrible.

Next time I use the Wolves I'll try Pale Hunters with that plasma unit, and 2x5 melta bomb/shotgun scouts, maybe ally in some snipers and las-Castras.

IMG20230531181510.jpg

IMG20230531181527.jpg

IMG20230531183223.jpg

IMG20230531191507.jpg

IMG20230531192915.jpg

Need some advice, I have been collecting horus heresy models but never played a game.

I am not looking to be competitive, but if I  ever played I do not want to get wiped out  in turn 2 either, s most of my collection is just stuff I like.

Actually, jut looking to make what I have actually relevant to the Vlka Fenryka, not wanting to chase the meta (considering I do not/ have not played)

Plus much of what I have I started working on before book 7, so was put together before knowing what the Wolves units would be.

So question 1, are tactical squads any good?

I have a 20 man squad, which I could split to be 2 x 10 man squads.

6ADR7KP.jpg

Is it worth keeping tacticals in a Wolves list would they be better as something else like stalkers or veterans?

JKcxA8F.jpg

mwIxsMh.jpg

This is one of 3 of my veteran squads, do I keep as is, or are stalkers a more viable option?

These were done around 4 years ago, so before stalkers were even a thing

Also can grey stalkers be armed the same as veterans, or would I be ripping arms off all over the show to change them?

I have 25 mark 6 marines in a box, , so would I be better making them up as stalkers?

vNaqOD3.jpg

fuDEAeR.jpg

These are 10 of my 20 man breacher unit that I made in 2016-2017.

Loved the idea of a shield wall for my viking marines and thought it would be cool.

Should I consider making them into a unit of grey slayers, maybe switch the spears for axes?

Amazing work!  The breacher shields...are those stencils or decals or freehand?

I think the Wolves' infantry need to be running and charging, so yes I'd switch all bolter/combi-weapon holders to Grey Stalkers.  The shield holders w spears could be a Despoiler squad to some extent, or Grey Slayers I think.  The spears could be power lances, which are pretty awesome actually vs 3+ saves or worse as they grant +1 initiative with Reach (1), and they're +1 strength/AP3.  

For your Contemptors I would probably put the right lascannon arm of the dual las one onto the other, and then a claw/fist onto there instead.  Then you'll have 2 combat capable ones (which will get +1 WS on the charge).  

Fenrisian axes are okay, not super great since they lose the Shred of chainswords.  But they sure look good and with Reaping Blow/Str5, can help make up for that.

Hi. The shields are decals.

The shields are 1p coins which I used putty to flatten out the detail.

Found some designs I liked online and printed to decal paper.

Power Lance's? Not heard of those before.

As for the contemporary, the arms have magnets, so I can swap loadouts.

I have assault cannons meltas and autocannons.

Looking at my current slayer squad

A7gMauY.jpg

There are 10. Shields, 9 have fenrisian axes, 2 have heavy chain blades, 3 big axes, thunder hammer, power sword, power lance & thunder hammer.

Not sure if this is good or even legal.

Going to run these veterans as stalkers.

GrAOj9m.jpg

23 hours ago, Dantay VI said:

Is the Jorlund hunter pack from the exemplary battles downloads any good?

Seems a bit weird having a u it of hand flamers...

WS4, 1W, 1A, no real options for PowerWeapons, no Line, no heart of the legion, no idea what that unit is supposed to be... 

I think, a FlamerSupportSquad with a rhino does the same job better and for the same amount of points.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

how is everyone faring against custodes? Lost a 2000 points game yesterday.

- 10 Deathsworn with Hvarl did a poor job, did some damage but got wrecked. Forgot deathsworn can only be joined by speaker and caster of runes. Oh well.

- 15 Grey stalkers with speaker of the dead, too, FNP and rerolls seemed a good idea

What worked:

- 10 lascannons, always good altough no ID on their troops :O

- Axes and Thammer with rerolls from speaker and hvarl

- Interception with our advanced reaction on their bikes that was targetting the proteus transport

What didnt work or would not work

- contemptor or leviathan gets wrecked in melee thanks to nemesis and I5

- proteus transport got wrecked by melta bombs badly

- any melee seems a bad idea

What could work:

- varagyr with WS5 and 4++? But hits after.

- 10 vulkite support squad?

- scorpius

- plasma?

Well, yes, that seems the best choice, since everything gets destroyed in melee. 

My list is melee foot-slogging oriented, and I think most people play SW that way, I already have the mandatory 10 lascannon squad that did a great job shooting in shooting phase, counter-shooting and shooting in counter-charge,

Custo move+run 13'', with night fighting T1 shooting doesnt do much, They can charge T2 unless I move my shooting elements and leave him the whole board. They are not IDable with shooting and still can tank with invuls.

They are just too powerful, either bring a shooting-heavy list, (I have my Alpha legion list with fulmentarus, I could try that :/), play them with ultra-optimized list (lascannon, scorpius, deathsworn, fast units, volkite) in an uphill battle or dont play them.

• 5 months later...

Since it's been awfully quiet in the fang - what do you guys think about the Erratas? 

I'm really Stoked, that my(our) Assault Ram got a big buff. Charging after entering from Reserves is a huge plus for wolves, especially when paired with our range/WS bonus. :D

Combined with the big weapon upgrade and the capacity-buff, this thing is now in my eyes a powerhouse for Melee delivery. =]

Now, that the Moritat is "officially" able to join units that do not have Bitter Duty themselves, it's a reall potent upgrade for units like a pure heavy Chainsword wielding Despoiler Squad, or Powermaul Vets, who are now "officially" able to deliver Instant Death on initiative.

...or, when combined with Russ/Howl of Morkai WL Trait and/or Bloodied Claw RoW, pretty much every unit on the charge - atleast once per game. especially Deathsworn and every IC with a Great Frostblade (the Moritat himself) =]

The thing is, that i tend to fill my HQ-Slots with Praetor/Jarl and 2 Priests... so i would have to drop a priest for a moritat, since i usually don't play allies...

Just a shame, that they didn't touch the fenrisian wolves...

Glad to see the Ram get some love. I have one and wanted a Full TDA Command Squad with Praetor in it. In ridiculous points games I could also throw in one of each TDA Priest (back when it could take 10 Terminators it would have had the rest of my Praetor's Council, a Forge Lord and a Champion :laugh:).

Regarding the Moritat, I plan on having mine stick with Destroyers. Then again mine will also have a Hand Flamer for rule of cool, despite there being no way to use it in a Chain Fire Attack (even one template per shooting phase would have been fun). It'll be an Arsonist and his Vandals.

2 hours ago, Hfran Morkai said:

Glad to see the Ram get some love. I have one and wanted a Full TDA Command Squad with Praetor in it. In ridiculous points games I could also throw in one of each TDA Priest (back when it could take 10 Terminators it would have had the rest of my Praetor's Council, a Forge Lord and a Champion :laugh:).

Regarding the Moritat, I plan on having mine stick with Destroyers. Then again mine will also have a Hand Flamer for rule of cool, despite there being no way to use it in a Chain Fire Attack (even one template per shooting phase would have been fun). It'll be an Arsonist and his Vandals.

Yeah, thank god, they atleast bumped the capacity up to 16, so we can deliver a Terminator CommanSquad + 3 Terminator ICs xD

Also - I'll take 8 Terminators that can charge from turn 2 onward, over 10 Terminators that can't charge before turn 3... ^^

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2024 at 9:38 AM, Razorblade said:

What kind of troops are you guys running? 

I really tried to like Grey Stalkers/Slayers but Despoilers just feel leagues ahead in terms of efficiency and synergy with the legion trait.

What troops? The answer is Yes!

Stalkers/slayers get Powerweapons for 5pts/model, are skirmishers, have relentless, counter attack(1) and can have a land raider as a  dedicated transport - awesome!

Despoilers cost 50pts less stock, but don't get an assault vehicle as dedicated transport.

They work really good with Heavy Chainswords (2pts/model) and  the now officially FAQd Moritat. 

Still i'd stick to Slayers/Stalkers, they're really good for a troops Choice, a bit expensive, but really good!

Just be carefull not to go overboard with their upgrades!