++ Tactica Thread - Iron Warriors ++

Now on Wednesday I am going to try my first game with the new Codex and I am going with Iron Warriors. My opposition is DG, and I know it will be a hard list to face, it is my DG army so I know it kinda well.   :) Most of the DG list is built around Blightlords and large groups of Poxwalkers, My foe has not decided yet if it will be a psyker heavy HQ list or if he is going with some beatstick characters, I know I will not face Morty. 

I know that I need to bring either as much high damage, higher ap value ranged weapons, because Blightlords in cc is not something I want to face, but I am also pondering if I should instead bring loads and loads of small arms fire and hope he fails the wound and armour rolls. I am thinking going with Mark of Nurgle, as I am a sucker for Nurgle. Some people say that the DG rule "Contagions of Nurgle" don't affect MoN, but I can't find anywhere that say it does not affect MoN models.

This will be a trial game, so I am not that bothered if I loose or win, but I would love some advice of building a list. This is what I have at the moment.

MoP, Daemon prince, Sorcerer, Warpsmith, DA, Lords in several variants, both in TDA and PA, 10 Rubrics with flamers, I can probably get hold of some Plague Marines, Terminators, Chosen, Hellbrute, 40-50 cultists So many PA marines (Most of them are Proxies) I don't even going to bother to count them. Venom crawler, 2 obliterators, Maulerfiend, 2 A-preds, 2 squads of Havocs. As it is a trial game I can proxy a little, I don't have to care about wysiwyg, and much of it will be unpainted. 

Any feedback or advice will be very appreciated.

Cpt Danjou

iw group.jpg

9 hours ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

MoP, Daemon prince, Sorcerer, Warpsmith, DA, Lords in several variants, both in TDA and PA, 10 Rubrics with flamers, I can probably get hold of some Plague Marines, Terminators, Chosen, Hellbrute, 40-50 cultists So many PA marines (Most of them are Proxies) I don't even going to bother to count them. Venom crawler, 2 obliterators, Maulerfiend, 2 A-preds, 2 squads of Havocs. As it is a trial game I can proxy a little, I don't have to care about wysiwyg, and much of it will be unpainted. 

General advice would be that:

• For HQs - MOP with Pact of Flesh+your pick of another power, Dark Apostle and either a Daemon Prince or Warpsmith with his relic (read last page, good for healing and dishing out half a dozen mortal wounds in close combat). 
  • For troops - some mix of bare bone cultist squads and maybe a legionnaire squad if you don't have enough core infantry to just use 3x10 cultists. Troops have a role, but I don't think you build around them. 
  • A brick unit of terminators with the black rune is a good anchor of a list. 
  • Fill in the rest as you like, plague marines with free wargear, chosen, venom crawler all likely to be solid picks. 
  • Havocs and Obliterators have not lit up my world so far, but others seem impressed with them. 

Hope that helps! 

My 2K list so far is built around close combat, durability and playing the missions. Bit strange ditching most of the guns, but i'm just going with the flow of the codex I think. We are a good legion for taking and holding objectives, raising banners and refusing to die easily. Save CP for using dour duty every turn and you won't go too far wrong! 

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few games I have really struggled with our secondary. It’s hard to get that one where the opponent puts it in their zone (even within 6” it can be pretty hard for us to reach). In part I don’t think our legion traits really are geared for digging out a placed objective by our opponents. I could see this being a great secondary for something like Red Corsairs, but not only does it require strong, fast aggressive units, but requires a playstyle that doesn’t seem too inherent to the IW.  Honestly this is one area I do struggle with using the IW. 

Anyone having a similar issue or some ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I saw a Youtube 'guru' who said the only reason no one is playing the IW secondary is they aren't building for it. I had to take that as a challenge and I gave it a real good try. I did see that combining it with another actionable secondary (if possible) could be better, but the fact the action for the IW starts late makes it super hard to complete. It was a disaster choice.  In fact it was so much more difficult that I feel it should be, I wouldn't advise taking it unless you're experimenting like I was.

On 8/22/2022 at 5:19 PM, Prot said:

Well I saw a Youtube 'guru' who said the only reason no one is playing the IW secondary is they aren't building for it. I had to take that as a challenge and I gave it a real good try. I did see that combining it with another actionable secondary (if possible) could be better, but the fact the action for the IW starts late makes it super hard to complete. It was a disaster choice.  In fact it was so much more difficult that I feel it should be, I wouldn't advise taking it unless you're experimenting like I was.

I'd be interested in watching that video - have a link handy?

But yes, i'd never use it. Falls into the fluffy but horrible in a matched play game camp for me. 

19 hours ago, BrainFireBob said:

IW Terminator Lord with cfist with U'l'occa the Black- replacement for Daemon Prince or no? 

Mmmm I don't think so to be honest. That Lord is quite good in combat, but does not jump off the screen for me. Also the D/Prince can move much faster/cast a psychic power. 

A good smash lord build I have heard about is Terminator Lord with Flames of Spite, Powerfist, Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh and the Slaanesh Daemon Weapon pair for extra attacks on both weapons. Again though, he will be a counter attack unit to hide in your ranks as does not have speed or tricks to reliably assault from Deep Strike. 

Edited by Relic

On 7/26/2022 at 11:56 AM, Kythnos said:

Fellow warsmiths,

I finally got around to building my first list with the new codex to try in a game soonish, probably against a loyalist chapter.

The idea is to have the Warpsmith buffing the Predator and Forgefiend, while Legionnairies, Chosen and Cultists push ahead, depending on the mission.

Important to note is that we play in narrative mode and missions with PL and mostly WYSIWYG. So no secondary objectives to keep in mind.

What do you think about the unit selection? Anything else you would recommend trying? I wanted to keep things relatively simple for the first game with the new codex.

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [49 PL, 2CP, 990pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [3CP]: 1. Combat Patrol (0-50 Total PL / 0-500 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: Narrative (Non Crusade)

Legion: Iron Warriors

+ HQ +

Warpsmith [6 PL, 95pts]: 2. Daemonsmith, Exalted power axe, Fleshmetal Exoskeleton, Mark of Tzeentch, Warlord

+ Troops +

Accursed Cultists [6 PL, 150pts]

. 10x Mutant: 10x Blasphemous appendages

. 6x Torment: 6x Hideous mutations

Legionaries [13 PL, 230pts]: Chaos Icon, Mark of Tzeentch

. Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Power fist

. 7x Marine w/ boltgun: 7x Bolt pistol, 7x Boltgun, 7x Frag & Krak grenades

. Marine w/ heavy weapon: Havoc autocannon

. Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

+ Elites +

Chosen [8 PL, -1CP, 145pts]: Chaos Icon, Mark of Khorne

Chosen: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. Chosen: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. Chosen Champion: Black Rune of Damnation, Bolt pistol, Boltgun, Trophies of the Long War

+ Heavy Support +

Chaos Predator Annihilator [8 PL, 175pts]: Combi-bolter

. Two lascannons: 2x Lascannon

Forgefiend [8 PL, 175pts]: 2x Heavy hades autocannons, Ectoplasma cannon

++ Total: [49 PL, 2CP, 970pts] ++

Had my game with this list this week and it was a lot of fun to play. My opponent was using a Ravenguard Successor Vanguard list with lots of setup shenanigans.

He focussed too much on killing the Predator in T1, which he failed to achieve due to smoke launchers and the new T8. This left him exposed to me charging my accursed cultists (quite liking these so far!) into his forward infiltrating dreadnought and my shooting units were able to start killing his MSU troops.

We called it after T3 as he had lost most of his units, while I still had my Warpsmith, Forgefiend, CSM, four Chosen and three Torments.

I still need to get familiar with our new stratagems and remember our doctrines, but it was a lot of fun using the new IW Rules :-)

Shooting felt a bit mediocre, with much of my shots being effected by AoC. Especially the Forgefiend suffered from this. 

Good job. Glad you had fun with it. I'd agree most of the Chaos shooting can be a little lethargic. I think that's why it puts IW in a bit of a predicament especially in a more competitive situation, but for every day play it's fine.  The biggest issue being the amount of AP-1 or even AP-2 we have. It's just very hard for us to get massed 24" Melta into play. Until then, a marine is getting a 5+ save on our most potent shooting from Las at range.

Personally I'm not having great success with my Forgefiend, but I only play it as triple Plasma.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:58 PM, Prot said:

The biggest issue being the amount of AP-1 or even AP-2 we have.

Yes, especially against Marines that is a noticable problem. My next match will likely be against Craftworld Eldar. I will see if the shooting impact is better against their comparably more squishy units.

On 8/28/2022 at 2:42 AM, Kythnos said:

Yes, especially against Marines that is a noticable problem. My next match will likely be against Craftworld Eldar. I will see if the shooting impact is better against their comparably more squishy units.

Haha, yeah I played against Night Lords my last game, I wont say it was a rough game, but AoC made all of my firepower, and his for that matter, pure weight of fire. Might as well have been using lasguns., they at least auto wound on 6s. I went to use Daemon Shells for my combi-bolters and my opponent nicely reminded me it only turns them to -1 ap which then gets ignored. It wasnt until we got into close combat that some Ap modifiers actually came into play.

• 2 months later...

Honestly, I love the IWs in 9th and I'm glad they've been my army for a decade. I haven't gotten to play with the new codex yet, I just bought it last week. Me and my dad have a 2,500pt game coming up soon when I get the Chaos Knights codex, my Chaos army vs his Nids. My list, for the time being is as follows:

Chaos Lord in terminator armor

2 sorcerers in terminator armor

2 terminator squads

1 Helbrute

4 legionary squads, 10 legionnaires per squad

1 Chaos Knight Desecrator

1 Land Raider

1 Annihilator Predator

I'm rather content with this list so I can't say I would change anything but the unit I'm most looking forward to is that sexy tough 9 Land Raider!! Soul Harvester is gonna be crushing countless Tyranids under its treads, with ichor dripping off as it rumbles ever onwards!! Also, there is a strategym combo that I would like to point out if someone hasn't done so already. You guys already know about Smokescreen, the Land Raider can use this strategym once its targeted in the shooting phase, incurring a -1 to any attacks for the rest of the phase. Then you can activate the IW strategym Unholy Vigor and incur a -1 penalty to any wounds against it during the same phase. So a squad of devastators with Lascannons will be hitting the raider on 4s and wounding on 5s!! Then I still get a 4+ armor save assuming the opponent can get any wounds through. It seems that alot of people still don't want to take a LR because of how expensive it is but I feel it's now at least very justified in 9th.

Oh and, I read somewhere that...wounds against a Land Raider can't be rerolled? What is this, and where can I find it in the codex? I can't find anything to back it up so maybe I'm missing something.

30 minutes ago, Lord Tarkin said:

Oh and, I read somewhere that...wounds against a Land Raider can't be rerolled? What is this, and where can I find it in the codex? I can't find anything to back it up so maybe I'm missing something.

It's not specific to the Land Raider, but the IW legion trait has been updated to disallow wound rerolls instead of the decrease to AP in the Balance Dataslate. You can find that in the download section of the Warhammer Community page.

1 hour ago, Kythnos said:

It's not specific to the Land Raider, but the IW legion trait has been updated to disallow wound rerolls instead of the decrease to AP in the Balance Dataslate. You can find that in the download section of the Warhammer Community page.

Yes!! Thanks brother I'll check it out