Imperial Fist Newbie

Hi all,

I’ve been sharing a lot of my stuff over in the Titanicus pages, but the new edition has finally got me to take the dive into the wider Heresy…

I’ve always been tempted, but with a not particularly irrational aversion to large resin kits, I resisted, but in my imagination I was always a Fists and Sons of Horus player. So imagine my delight when I found out my two favourite legions were  getting front and centre for the new range, and an associated bonanza of transfers!

Here’s what I managed to cobble together prior to the new box set landing;

Fafnir Rann, a chaplain and a five man tester Tactical Squad;

IRB529z.jpg

SJ2Zghf.jpg

Qk6yDGP.jpg

After this lot, I went a bit mad on Forgeworld and got myself some Breachers. Now I’ve got them painted, I’m expecting GW to announce plastic ones any day now…

6NgAN1f.jpg

InXdEcv.jpg
I magnetised the fists of the two special weapon guys, and stuck bits of paperclip underneath their bolters, Graviton Guns and Lascutters. Now I’ve seen the rules, I may have to do the same with some Meltaguns… The sergeant has what I now realise is a controversial front to back crest, but maybe he’s formally a legion officer who was wounded to the point of not being able to resume his duties, and took voluntary demotion to a line sgt position, or something, I just thought he looked cool!

OaylgVm.jpg

And a group shot;

lU5gUxe.jpg

5 hours ago, Shovellovin said:

Excellent work on your Imperial Fists. I especially like your yellow recipe. 

Thanks! I appreciate it, the yellow isn’t super quick, but it’s not too bad. Undercoat is Wraithbone rattle can, then it’s 2:1 mix of Iyanden to Nazdreg Yellow contrast. Highlight with Flash Gitz Yellow, at which point I do any transfers, (gloss varnish, Microset/Microsoft and matt varnish) and all my chipping with Rhinox Hide and occasional Leadbelcher, then highlight everything including chips with 3:1 approx mix of Screaming Skull to Flash Gitz Yellow. Final thing to do is little streaks of dirt with Dark Oath Flesh. I’ll try to remember to take WIP shots on the next unit to illustrate.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback! This is the last of my retrospective updates for stuff I’ve already painted, so I’ll be slowing down on updates after this, with posts as I paint up more stuff!

So, first of the new wave models painted;

zoaHmr7.jpg

And here they are mixed in with the rest of their squad;

vqjA7J8.jpg

Next up, I’m debating between a small unit of Templar Brethren or some Tactical Support marines with Rotor Cannons, I’ll see how I feel. However, I’m also doing some Sons of Horus, so I may do some of them next as a break from painting yellow… Watch out for another thread for the boys in sea green!

On 7/8/2022 at 12:57 AM, Shovellovin said:

Excellent work on your Imperial Fists. I especially like your yellow recipe. 

Hey! As promised, here are some illustrative WIP shots;

b1tKsuD.jpg
First up, 2:1 Iyanden to Nazdreg Yellow Contrasts over Wraithbone rattle can.

IrFCO4f.jpg
Same yellow, just with other details painted in.

UIit8u6.jpg
Highlighted with Flash Gitz Yellow, then transfers added.

EORez40.jpg
Weathering done, and final highlight of 3:1 Screaming Skull to Flash Gitz.

P8Iik4t.jpg
And here he is finished, with the rest of his TSS unit!

6 hours ago, Altis said:

Those look great! What's up next? 

Thanks! Up next are some Sons of Horus Tactical marines, so my two forces don’t get too out of whack with each other.

For the IFs, I’ve got five Templar Brethren ready to paint, just debating how to do the black armour, and an Apothecary. However I’ve just started converting up some Huscarl Terminators from the Exemplary Battles PDF, so I might fast track those if I can get them built to my satisfaction!

On 7/14/2022 at 8:37 AM, Altis said:

Looking forward to seeing more! Especially those huscarls. 

What else have you got planned for the SoH? 

I’ll let you know how I get on! I’ve got a vague plan for the Huscarls, but we’ll see if my modelling skills can translate it into reality… As for the SoH, I’ve got a second Tactical squad on the go currently, then maybe some Caraphractii, or Maloghurst, depending on how much I fancy painting a hero rather than another unit. Beyond the first 1000 point ZM list, I’ve not planned ahead much!

On 7/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, Beerhammer said:

I agree and would like to know what you have plan for the SoH and how you did the magnets for your breacher squad.

As for the magnets, it was a simple 2mm drill bit to make space for a 2x1mm magnet in the fist;

SqK61mK.jpg

Then I made a gouge in the bottom of the weapon and glued a bit of paperclip in. You can just about see it here;

kCn9kxj.jpg

9 minutes ago, General Zodd said:

I’ll let you know how I get on! I’ve got a vague plan for the Huscarls, but we’ll see if my modelling skills can translate it into reality… As for the SoH, I’ve got a second Tactical squad on the go currently, then maybe some Caraphractii, or Maloghurst, depending on how much I fancy painting a hero rather than another unit. Beyond the first 1000 point ZM list, I’ve not planned ahead much!

Have you posted your ZM lists? 

1 minute ago, Altis said:

Have you posted your ZM lists? 

No, they’re bound to not be very effective, so I didn’t think it would be worth it! I just based round what I have, and what I fancied painting. Once I’ve finally gotten a couple of games in, I’ll have a better idea where I want to go next. Though predictably enough, a couple of units of Phalanx Warders will be on the cards when I go past 1k!

Tbf I rarely go to my local GW, I prefer hitting up my lgs for my hobby needs.

I was hoping to see if I could get a game against some folk though. Whilst I have 3 friends interested in heresy, only 1 of them I can actually play against. 

When you guys play make sure you take pictures and do a batrep! Please. 

10 minutes ago, Altis said:

Tbf I rarely go to my local GW, I prefer hitting up my lgs for my hobby needs.

I was hoping to see if I could get a game against some folk though. Whilst I have 3 friends interested in heresy, only 1 of them I can actually play against. 

When you guys play make sure you take pictures and do a batrep! Please. 

Yeah, we’re in Northern Ireland, but I get back to England when I can to play Titanicus, but we have a thriving community for Titanicus, and it seems Heresy as well!

We’ll certainly aim to take some pics, though I often get carried away with the game and forget!

• 2 weeks later...

Next up, I managed to resist the urge to immediately paint the Huscarls I converted, and stuck with painting up my original 1k list and did some Templar Brethren! The black took longer than the photo would suggest, so I might have to take a better photo soon, maybe when I get round to sharing my Sons of Horus as well;

iy2LZMB.jpg

While he’s not in the original 1k, I thought I’d get an apothecary done alongside them, too;

9tijczO.jpg

Next up will be my Contemptor Dreadnought, bringing me up to 1000 points painted! Then I’ll reward myself with painting my Huscarl unit!