Imperial Fist Newbie

I managed to resist painting my Huscarl conversions, and stayed on target for my first 1000 point list, with a Contemptor.

vjrSwnp.jpg
XPaTZ1O.jpg

Plus the obligatory magnetised weapon options!

qPB7qpl.jpg

And here’s my first 1k in a family shot!

oHiAFJU.jpg
(Fafnir Rann waiting just off screen for a bigger game to come along!)

On 7/13/2022 at 3:37 PM, General Zodd said:

P8Iik4t.jpg
And here he is finished, with the rest of his TSS unit!

I see you have an MKIII marine with the new rotor cannon. I had heard that the new weapon packs are not compatible with older marine marks; good to see that it is possible. I’ll have to give it a try. 

1 hour ago, Torbenos said:

Now that is a great looking force, one you should be proud of! I especially like the brethren with the black accents.

As someone who's working on their own breachers, any tips on how to align up the bolters to the shields?

Thanks! The Breachers are just a matter of slow and steady. I wanted to paint the shields and bolters separately, so I used blue tac to put the shield on the left arm and keep the gun and right arm in position while I glued the left arm on, then once that was secure I glued the right arm on. It takes a bit of patience, and you’ll need to dry fit it several times to be happy, but it shouldn’t be too difficult if you don’t rush it.

1 hour ago, Brother Dallo said:

That’s an impressive force. 

What’s next for the Sons of Dorn?

Dallo

Next up is painting the Huscarls I’ve converted, finally! Then maybe some Phalanx Warders, because I’ve clearly not got quite enough models with shields.

1 hour ago, Shovellovin said:

I see you have an MKIII marine with the new rotor cannon. I had heard that the new weapon packs are not compatible with older marine marks; good to see that it is possible. I’ll have to give it a try. 

Thanks! You can make them work, but it takes a bit of trial and error. Even then I had to trim the wrist connection a bit to get it to sit properly. As long as you’re a moderately confident modeller, you shouldn’t have any insurmountable issues. Good luck if you give it a go, and share the results!

16 hours ago, Shovellovin said:

They don't fall into place like they do with mk6 arms, but with some trimming and angling they can be given to mk3 & mk4 easily. Just need to carefully chop off the left hand and tease everything into alignment.

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of a break on here, but I’ve managed to paint my Huscarls, finally, as well as building some more models for the next wave!

GkORxvE.jpg

noyKHjI.jpg

I found a great video tutorial for red cloaks, which helped me make up my mind. Torn between black, cream or red, but decided the Huscarls could do with a bit of a visual lift to make them stand out on the field.

m1KvTLL.jpg

And here’s my champion and his mate.

43Bx7mH.jpg

av1vRAp.jpg

4 hours ago, lost_angel said:

Chaos warrior cloaks by any chance? Good shout and nice attention to detail. 

Thanks! Actually, there’s a real mix. One Chaos Warrior, one Terminator Chaos Lord, one Custodes Warden, one Praetor from the new box and a Wolf Guard Terminator cloak.

If I ever fill out the unit, I’ll probably plunder the Chaos Warriors a bit more, but I’ve tried to make each one as unique as I can whilst using basically the exact same underlying models! I might also occasionally field them as a traditional command squad, and have one with a banner, in which case he’d definitely be getting a proper fancy cloak.

5 hours ago, DeadDave said:

These look great, I’m starting Imperial Fists myself, it’s good to look through this thread for inspiration.

How did you do the assault cannon in the contemptor dreadnought’s fist please?

Thanks! And welcome on board the Phalanx!

The assault cannon is super easy to do with the right tools. I started with one of the existing fist weapon components, and used a modelling saw to cut it down to just the plastic disc that locates it in the wrist. You can’t use clippers as they will squash the shape of the disc you’re aiming to keep.

Then I grabbed a terminator assault cannon off eBay, mine was a Dark Angel one with a sword strapped to the bottom brace bar thingy, removed that, then cut off about 15-20mm from the barrel end and glued it on in place of the original weapon. It’s very straightforward if you’re comfortable with cutting bits off models, and easy enough to have a go at if you’re not so confident.

2 hours ago, GodEmperorOfMankind said:

Didn’t spot this when I was looking for options, but happy enough with what I ended up with!

1 hour ago, General Zodd said:

Thanks! And welcome on board the Phalanx!

The assault cannon is super easy to do with the right tools. I started with one of the existing fist weapon components, and used a modelling saw to cut it down to just the plastic disc that locates it in the wrist. You can’t use clippers as they will squash the shape of the disc you’re aiming to keep.

Then I grabbed a terminator assault cannon off eBay, mine was a Dark Angel one with a sword strapped to the bottom brace bar thingy, removed that, then cut off about 15-20mm from the barrel end and glued it on in place of the original weapon. It’s very straightforward if you’re comfortable with cutting bits off models, and easy enough to have a go at if you’re not so confident.

Didn’t spot this when I was looking for options, but happy enough with what I ended up with!

Damn you went about it the hard way! :D amazing job you did on it

• 1 month later...

I’m back! Been doing a spot of building and priming, plus a weeks holiday, so a bit of a hiatus, but I managed to get another unit finished. This time, the mighty Phalanx Warders, which is halfway to being able to field a Stone Gauntlet force. Not that I plan to do that every game (I gather it’s a bit OP?) but it’s nice to have the option!

A6DoFhN.jpg

Here are the boss, vexilla and the special weapons;

bPguiIT.jpg

Some regular axe dudes;

MJNDnRn.jpg

And, just so I don’t forget they’re equipped with bolters as well, some guys in standard Breacher pose;

JxkA1uC.jpg