Imperial Fist Newbie

• 3 months later...

Another long pause on my other army, but I’ve finally gotten round to painting a second Tactical squad for my Fists!

M7xx6g2.jpg

I decided to differentiate the second squad by painting the left shoulder pad black, which then meant the three older marks of armour in the squad would have silver shoulder pad trim rather than black. It’s nice that the Heresy almost encourages you to put some different variations on the core colour scheme in your army.

LxZ3ANt.jpg

Here’s a closer look at some of the grunts.

TozLrOu.jpg

And here’s the command staff. Obviously the sergeant gets a tactical rock, but so do the older marks of armour, to help hide the fact their Mk VI comrades are all a bit taller than they are! The sergeant has one of the “Sunblaze Gauntlets” from BattleBling, which are modelled on the single solitary Solarite Power Gauntlet that FW have bothered to furnish us with!

If anyone is following my Sons of Horus progress, you’ll know I swapped the MkIII crew from a Rapier Laser Destroyer for MkIV for the XVI, so that I could have my preferred marks of armour on the relevant legion. Here’s the other side of the swap!

uk7Yb6f.jpg

bbr5wtN.jpg

gmAcQy8.jpg

Now I’m having a crisis of faith about whether to base the Rapiers or not! Any thoughts?

I don't own any rapiers but I have put bases on eldar grav platforms (the little metal ones from 1st and 2nd ed) and WHFB artillery. I prefer them to be at the same height as the crew, especially if the crew are posed as if interacting with the big guns.

These are lesser considerations with rapiers as one is riding the gun and the other is just pointing at a target.

• 1 month later...

I have a confession to make, I have become part of the problem! I finally got round to painting up a HSS unit of Lascannons… I’m sorry…

hMLf6eW.jpg

Here’s a close up of a couple of MkIII bods I chucked in for variation, as well. Took a bit of repositioning on the arms, but it’s doable. I also gave one of them the Augury Scanner hand from the heavy weapons kit, only a minor adjustment to make it work.

0dbEfdq.jpg

Next up on the painting list is a Castellan I converted from the obligatory Axe Praetor. It’s become traditional I think. Plus an apothecary I converted out of various bits. Hoping to share them in the next week or two!

• 3 weeks later...

Right, finally managed to finish the Castellan I converted a while ago, along with a second Apothecary;

Lm03E4x.jpg

The Castellan is based off the now-almost-obligatory Axe Praetor from the AoD boxed set, with a smattering of SM Vets components and the new FW hero head.

DJhVkBT.jpg

The Apothecary is based off the SM Vets set, with some apothecary components bought off eBay.

fv1XQo9.jpg

My old 40k Marine army was the Brazen Fists, so I decided to give the Castellan a brass bionic arm. In my head canon he’ll survive the Heresy and eventually become the first Chapter Master and inspiration for the name as the Brazen Fist!

69h6zSu.jpg

Converted up a HSS squid with Assault Cannons, seeing as I can! Finished painting them today;

ae6VGyc.jpg

The assault cannon are simply the HSS Autocannons with the barrel and bottom magazine snipped off, replaced by the barrel and ammo feed from the classic Terminator AC arm which I managed to find ten of on eBay.

UgVVL74.jpg

And here’s some Mk III and a Mk IV sergeant to go with them.

QB25mDL.jpg

That’s 3000 points finished now, not including the initial Chaplain, who didn’t make the cut for an upcoming event. Once they’re all out for that, I’ll get a group photo! Otherwise, I’m going to concentrate on my Sons of Horus for a bit, just in case I need to swap sides for this event. So I expect the Fists will be a bit quiet for a while as a result, but I’m sure there’s more I’ll want to do with them soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, as promised, here’s a group shot of the whole collection so far! I had the house to myself this weekend, so thought I’d take the opportunity to get all the toys out…

yqvBDAR.jpg

Here’s a closer view of the Castellan and the ‘support’ units;

wQuPI7B.jpg

Here’s Fafnir, the Huscarls and the rest of the shield-wielding units;

Ivbxyjn.jpg

And finally, the Chaplain, Apothecaries and the rest of the force;

5u69k37.jpg

Next up is a couple of Scorpiuses, then I think I’ll finally reward myself with Dorn!

And, just in time to make my recent family photo shoot out of date, here’s the Whirlwind Scorpiuseseses I’ve been working on for the last week or so!

qYIeR0b.jpg

I was hesitant to apply my yellow method to the sorts of large flat area you find on a tank, but I’m pretty happy with the result now I’ve taken the plunge!

ilciA98.jpg

Having said that, I’m not totally happy with the black panels. I’ve stippled on some silver, but my method for the yellow is brown, silver and then bright yellow underneath to give it a bit of 3D pop, but I’ve yet to find a decent way of doing something similar with the black. If any I, X or XIX fraters (or anyone, really) out there have any tips, I’m all ears!

OlXXwwm.jpg

50 minutes ago, Pearson73 said:

Solid work, the yellow has definitely scaled up well. Perhaps stippling some greys and dark browns could add some more texture to the black?

I’ll have to give it a try, I just find there isn’t a huge tonal difference with the black to notice it unless you go quite pale, then it looks a bit odd. But maybe subtle is okay?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I’ve been neglecting my fists a little recently, as there are so many Fist players in the local area I’ve been far more inclined to bring my Sons of Horus to battle. But, I’m committed to using a less common Rite of War to differentiate my fists from the yellow masses and do a Templar Assault army. Yes, I know Templars aren’t brilliant for their points, and the RoW isn’t that good compared to others but they look cool, and that’s enough.

So, as the main benefit is derived from deploying from another unit, I need some assault transports, cue two Land Raiders!

FV4gLd1.jpg

I never thought I’d ever batch paint land raiders, but that’s Heresy for you…!

xwAxpjJ.jpg

Now I have these two and twenty Templar Bros, I can field the army, but I really want Sigismund to lead them, so he’s up next. In the meantime, here’s a slightly different view of the front of the tanks!

0ELB5cR.jpg

Sigi should probably warrant a Spartan, but in the meantime he’ll have to stick with sharing this LR with one of his squads.

pyM7CKS.jpg

I decided to try using Corax Black as the base, drybrushing up from there, and using Black Templar to bring the shadows back down again. Gives me a slightly lighter base to weather up from but still not as happy as I am with the yellow. But I’ll keep trying!

On 4/2/2023 at 11:57 PM, General Zodd said:

Right, finally managed to finish the Castellan I converted a while ago, along with a second Apothecary;

Lm03E4x.jpg

The Castellan is based off the now-almost-obligatory Axe Praetor from the AoD boxed set, with a smattering of SM Vets components and the new FW hero head.

DJhVkBT.jpg

The Apothecary is based off the SM Vets set, with some apothecary components bought off eBay.

fv1XQo9.jpg

My old 40k Marine army was the Brazen Fists, so I decided to give the Castellan a brass bionic arm. In my head canon he’ll survive the Heresy and eventually become the first Chapter Master and inspiration for the name as the Brazen Fist!

69h6zSu.jpg

Late to this, but absolutely love this conversion work. 

On 10/15/2022 at 10:49 AM, Brother Kraskor said:

Everything in this thread is beautiful! Really authentic, cohesive look, tastefully applied, well done I'm jealous!

I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave some moments ago.

Lovely stuff, you've really made the black on the LRs work.