Divine the Future and Rerolls?! (Thousand Sons and Cheating Fate)

Lucky_Lee
Go to solution Solved by Lucky_Lee,

• Solution

Hello, so I know that you can't reroll a reroll * and I've also taken a peek at the rules for making attacks**, but RAW can I reroll a dice replacement?

The Thousand Son's Cult of Prophecy spell Divine the Future *** allows you to "... replace a single dice rolled for a hit roll, wound roll..." 

So, for example: I roll a 1 on my "prophecy dice," could I then replace a 2 on a BS3+ ranged attack with a 1 to trigger the reroll from Lord of the Thousand Sons aura?

Thought I'd ask before I try it with a few multi-meltas on Helbrutes. 

Big Core Rulebook: *200 **203 
Codex Thousand Sons 9th: ***46

Daily rules brain teaser, love it.

So laying it out - rules are:
Cult of Prophecy

Blessing: Divine the Future has a warp charge value of 6. If manifested, roll one D6 and set it to one side. Until the start of your next Psychic phase, you can use that dice roll to replace a single dice rolled for a hit rollwound rollAdvance rollcharge rollPsychic testDeny the Witch test or Morale test for a CULT OF PROPHECY unit from your army.

The re-roll extract

You can never re-roll a dice more than once, and re-rolls happen before modifiers (if any) are applied. Rules that refer to the value of an ‘unmodified’ dice roll are referring to the dice result after any re-rolls, but before any modifiers are applied.

I would say you're good to go with replacing it.

1. Roll a dice for cult of prophecy

2. That dice is now static with X

3. The dice X is "replaced" and is now the ranged attacks result.

4. As it hasn't been rerolled, it can be the 1 required to trigger a re-roll.

What was the situation that got you there? Replacing a 2 with a 1 to get the reroll?

I was playing around with list ideas so I can play less Duplicity. Yeah, it's our most competitive cult but it gets boring.

I was looking at cult of prophecy as a fun and challenging alternative. While looking at ways to utilize the extra die the thought occurred to me "what if it's a 1?"

That would be lame since I don't really take morale with ANY cult units.  So I was trying to find ways to use each possible roll and this question hit me. 

Edited by Xenoscry

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, Xenoscry said:

Hello, so I know that you can't reroll a reroll * and I've also taken a peek at the rules for making attacks**, but RAW can I reroll a dice replacement?

The Thousand Son's Cult of Prophecy spell Divine the Future *** allows you to "... replace a single dice rolled for a hit roll, wound roll..." 

So, for example: I roll a 1 on my "prophecy dice," could I then replace a 2 on a BS3+ ranged attack with a 1 to trigger the reroll from Lord of the Thousand Sons aura?

As above, you're not rerolling a reroll, so that's fine. As an order of operations, if you replace a dice, e.g. in a charge roll, then choose to reroll that, you also have to reroll the 'fate dice' (eldar codex FAQ), so do any rerolling (on multiple dice rolls) before you fate dice.