[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (RPG IC)

Mazer Rackham

Nicios

Nicios nods to Falk and sends out his mind, searching for any trace of psychic activity.

Spoiler

Psyniscience Test

Roll- 25

Target- 31

Result- Pass, no DoS

His mind flashes through the room, like an invisible bloodhound. 

Sanctum Interior:

Falk:

Your precautions are wise, but not needed, the door of the safe, heavy as it is swings open. Within can be seen:

• 1 small palm sized cylindrical, armoured glass vial marked with biohazard warnings (sealed thrice over).
  • 3 very large shells for a substantial firearm (not a bolter)
  • 1 holoSLICE,

You know what this last item is by reputation, but not by experience. This pale blue, flat square of crystal is an encoded device equipped with rare and powerful machine spirits. Not quite scrapcode, the engrammics function as an electoo/multikey, which is designed to fit a specific digital lock, and overwhelm it in an instant.

It is an exceptionally difficult item to acquire, never mind craft, and is illegal for even for a Proctor-level Judge to possess, under penalty of a regiment of indictments.

Reynard:

Your rummaging delivers little in the first cabinet you rifle through, save for flasks, burners and spectroscopes. Sample vials and petri dishes are the staple of the medicae's trade. In the last cabinet, you discern a small catch that looks at first glance to merely be part of the hinge, but is not present on the others.

Nicios ONLY:

Spoiler

Interesting - yes. Yes, you feel it now. There was a trap here, a psychoreactive snare that just might have been left for one like you, but it is gone, sprung. Now you understand the cleanliness of the spirit of this place. Something came here, something with power enough to set off a Hexagrammic Reflector. A land-mine for unguarded witches...

Reynard:

Dull. One of the handheld spectroscopes went into a pocket, as did a small sample flask with a sealable lid, but there was nothing of real value or interest here. Reynard was about to give up and go see what Falk had discovered in the safe, when something half-seen out of the corner of his eye stopped him. That hinge. Something about the shape of it. The ones in the other cupboards had not been quite the same, surely?

Quickly he examined the storage units again, focusing on their construction - and the hinges in particular - as opposed to the contents. Each was seemingly identical, a standard design repeated exactly.

Then he went back to the last one. No different to any of the others… except that one hinge. A catch of some sort, but to what purpose? Perhaps to open a hidden compartment, or another means of ingress and egress into the room…?

Nicios made his report.

…or another trap? But if the latter, why go to such lengths to hide it away? Still…

Reynard stopped dead for several long minutes. He did his best to examine the catch from every possible angle, looking for signs - even just a sense - that it might trigger something dangerous. Finally he rested his finger against it, not hard enough to activate it, just the gentlest pressure to get a feel of its weight. As he did, he spoke quietly to the rest of the team.

"Found a catch here. Hidden in a hinge. Can't tell what it does… Is it worth moving everyone back past the airlock before I trigger it?"

Falk:

Falk held up a hand to indicate Reynard should pause, "Sitches, I need to know what this is." The vial might prove to be important, but he had grave misgivings about removing such a thing from its secure environment particularly considering the hands it might fall into should they be attacked.

The shells and key however he took, making sure not to touch the vial in the process.

Stitches crouches by the [RED TRIANGLE] organic mess on the floor, eying it suspiciously as he tries to figure out what it is, or was. At Falk's query he glances up.

"What do you want me to do, open it and have a taste? Field-medic, remember?" 

He shakes his head.

"I'll take a look at it in a moment, but we'd best get everything we can out of this room before Reynard triggers whatever it is."

Edited by Beren

Reynard:

At Falk's gesture, Reynard stepped away from the cupboard. He had to suppress a snigger at Stitches' sarcastic response to the Arbitrator's request. Both men were being smart, though. Best to check everything in the room thoroughly first…

…plus it let him put off triggering the damn catch for a few moments longer. Why in the Emperor's name had he just volunteered to do it himself…?

Stupid!

Trying not to think about it, Reynard looked around for anything else they might have missed. Moving around the central examination table, he knelt and looked more closely at the metallic puddle that had been left on the floor.

Spoiler

Awareness(?) Test: Per 28 +Awareness+10 = 38, Roll: 35, 0DoS.

Edited by Lysimachus

Santum Interior:

Reynard:

The metallic blob represents a composition not unlike the work of Remembrancer Jakubus Pollico of your home-hive of Cal-Ferrina. Plenty of colour and strange flamboyance, held quite equivocally to be as remarkable as this puddle of dissolved metal slop. Nevertheless, your brain works out the dimensions, and bits of what used to be a mechanism. A firearm of some description. Heat-flash has caused the metal to run and discolour as alloys parted and reforged in almost petrochemical sheen.

Regardless, whatever this weapon was, it is now destroyed, and part of the floor.

Stitches:

The contents of the vial are clear, but its viscosity is easy enough to see - the fluid id held in the centre of the vial, a centimetre in diameter, the meniscus is deep, showing fluid pressure is forcing it up the inside of the glass. The vial walls are thick, and the thing itself is suspended in tube cradle within the safe.

The deadly markings of toxin hazards are emblazoned upon it, as Falk reveals.

The material you are studying appears to be some kind of organ, but what, cannot be ascertained. The material has been flash-fried and shrunk, crisped to a lump of charred resin, but metallic glints reveal what could possibly be several inlet ports you may find on bionics.

Closer inspection reveals more. The floor around the 'object' was saturated with blood, the purple tincture to the plasteel floor suggests quite a lot. The autoclaving destroyed any biological remains, destroying the microbes, cells and tissue, but leaving the discolouration as reminder.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

As Stitches moved to access the terminal and begin searching the data files, Reynard stepped up beside him and activated the comm. An opportunity to report their progress. He used the hard-wire to extend the range of the microbead he had been given by the Inquisition pilot waiting at the spaceport several miles above them.

+++Voyager, Virtue. Is this channel secure? Can you connect us with the Vault?+++

The picture resolves into a pilot's helmet, with Voyager's face behind it.

++Voyager, receiving. No way this line is secure enough for Vault. Potential for compromise is high. I can act as relay by blurt cipher. What do you need?++

At this point you can assume you have updated him, by electoo transmission, data-packet, really quick talking, whatever. This saves you telling me stuff we all already know to get to the meat of what you need. You can wax lyrical if you feel the need though - I will play along. Bardas et al can patch in from their terminal, as can everyone in the room via commbeads now the channel is established.

Reynard:

+++Fine.+++

The lack of a secure connection irked him, but nevertheless Reynard quickly and efficiently relayed where the team was and everything that had happened so far - all while avoiding any overly specific terms. Just in case someone else was listening.

More importantly, in his opinion, he also had questions to ask.

+++Has anything else happened that we need to know about? Any more messages received from... the competition? Did… our master… uncover any more background information regarding… the package our competitors were looking for? Were the reports of its... departure... exaggerated in any way? Did they find any prior connection between it and Damocles? Also…+++

He explained briefly about the catch he had found in the cupboard.

+++ What will it do if I trigger it? I assume it's some kind of trick set up by… our current employer? If not, no offence, but how in hell did your people miss it when they set the… researcher… up in this facility?+++

Edited by Lysimachus

Voyager's face contorts into something resembling admiration.

++Apart from the occasional chaser, our Buyer hasn't altered his offer. To my knowledge our current position stands, but trading is still open. The Buyer's package was certainly destroyed by a courier from a different office, but as per my last note from head office, we're getting a lot of run-around on why. Package certainly out of warranty, with no obvious stop in the Damocles depot.++

He considers your other query, absorbing your information as best as he can via the double-speak you're both using.

++Previous tenant only had permission to rent and we were agents for the landlord in case of trouble. He's been there for a long time. Whatever fixtures and fittings he may have modified, could possibly violate warranty. Which half of the rental area is this modification in?++

Reynard:

Reynard frowned. So, no change to the current threat. Locke was definitely dead, but the reasons weren't clear? And no apparent connection between him and Damocles…? Why did they want him dead, then? Was it just a ruse, like he had thought earlier, a means to throw the Inquisition off track?

Voyager continued, obliquely explaining why they hadn't known about the catch. Not much of an excuse, to Reynard's mind.

So much for the vaunted Inquisition knowing everything!

Good. Worth remembering.

He didn't say that, of course, instead answering the pilot's question.

+++Rear left, storage area. An unauthorised conversion… perhaps an extension? Any suggestions?+++

Edited by Lysimachus

Sanctum Exterior:

All players outside the Sanctum, please make a DIfficult (-10) Awareness (Smell) check, or a Challenging (+0) Awareness (Sight/Hearing) check.

Bardas: Pass

Scourge: Fail

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Stitches carefully sets the vial down. 

"Be bloody careful with that. Don't lose it, don't break it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure that's our dead inquisitor smeared across the floor over there. Looks like there might be some interface ports left if Bardas wants to take a look."

To be honest, Stitches had been astounded to see the machine-man again. After he'd seen him loose his grip at the train... well, those kinds built themselves tough didn't they? Inhuman freaks,

Oh, yeah, the terminal.

Medicae = Int+10 = 50: d100 = 12

Stitches:

The layout of the reports, drop-down menu strands and nomenclature guides your hands. There are thousands of reports, each a list of numbers and ident codes, but only one catches your eye. In another screen, there are functions.

Spoiler

Research Data: (CONFIDENTIAL PURGED - ALEPH PRIMUS)

Spoiler

ID:04345 UCC-UHA-UAA-UGG-AUG-AGG

ID: 04357 UHA-UHH-UAA-UGA-AAH-GGA

ID: 04389 GGH-UAA-AAH-UCC-UGG-GHU - RHESUS:patt-match//: IDENT//COLLECT.BANCell-cysto/Primus.

ID: 05406 UCC-UCU-CUU-AAH-AGU-HGH

Data Files: Personal:

Spoiler

Datum 1: Date [REDACTED]

• I have been given this lab for my experiments. I am but one man, but the task is colossal. Monitoring a hive of this scale is too much for a lone Sepulturis. However, as it is in the line of attack from those blue [PROFANITY IS UNBECOMING] Xenos [REDACTED] and a route of supply, the Lords cannot take risks. I will begin sampling immediately. The down-and-outs are taking the basic treatments and providing health samples. Duty is all

Datum 2: Date [REDACTED]

• I have been approached by one of the Ecclesiarchs [REDACTED] who pleads with me for the good of the people. He wishes all to partake of the waters of life, and has secured more funding and help for me in the services of the Adepta Hospitaller. The Emperor provides! His work will endure.

[DATUM 2- 14 CORRUPTED]

Datum 15: Date [REDACTED]

• I forgot I had this journal. It has been years. I have been so busy. With the help of the Sisters, I have neutralised 1,294 moral and viral threats to this stratum alone. Even the Heads of the Trading Houses have supported my work. The will of our Golden Master meets the pleasure of the Hive Lords. Auspicious.

[DATUM 16- 33 CORRUPTED]

Datum 34: Date [REDACTED]

• I am being watched, followed. I had a third tun in with those thugs from [REDACTED]. Animals. I think it is something to do with my visits uphive, possibly gang jealousy or some foolish thing. I have spurned all 'protection' or 'tribute' nonsense. They turn back at the Sanctum. Good. My work will not be prevented, not interrupted!

ERROR-ERROR-ERROR-ERROR

• I cannot leave this place! The Mother Superior knows only that I am consumed by work, I dare tell her naught else. What if she is one of them? What I have discovered here is as marvellous as it is blasphemous! I must seek out the magisters, get some protection in here!

Err-date//corrupt//order//976.Op:endof.Txt??/

• The Magisters have come and gone - the traps are set for the foolish and unwary. My subjects have proven to give me the serum. Yet I am afraid. Tomorrow I will go with Drexler, and he will be able to provide what I need.

DATUM LOST: Recov-Interrupt//>incipe/Correc-err.close.dot//fwd>>>>

• It cost a fortune, but I had [REDACTED] secure a copy of the [REDACTED] schematics. By the Throne it cost a fortune! But I am ready. This ends tonight. The serum will put an end to them all, and as none will help me, I will take measures myself. By the will of the Emperor, I will finish this entry when the deed is done. If not - w-what was that? No! No, don't let it get me! [GUNFIRE] [GUNFIRE] [GUNFIRE]
  • __________________________________________________________________________________________________

VOICE LOG COMPLETE.

NO FURTHER ENTRIES.

Function Menu:

Spoiler

In Vivem Veritas, In Mortitem, Gloriam: Welcome, Biologis Dreyfuss

• Sanctum
    • Cycle airlock
    • Adjust ambient
    • Open safe
    • Open Hardline (IN USE)
    • Access Picters (Internal - INOPERABLE)
    • Access Picters (Triage - WORKING)
  • Cloister
    • Adjust parallax
    • Cycle airlock
    • Adjust ambient
  • Emergency functions
    • Salve Beacon (Active)
    • Purge Sanctum (Completed)
    • Purge Cloister (Aborted)

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

Reynard frowned in momentary confusion at Voyager's question. Which half of…? He had been quite specific, why would the pilot need more clarification?

Unless… unless in Voyager's mind, the lab was… bigger…? than what the team saw with their own eyes?

Suddenly it felt as if his previous suspicion had been confirmed. The hidden catch made perfect sense! Without stopping to wait for the rest of the team to retreat to the airlock, Reynard confidently turned and hurried back to the last cupboard. He took a deep breath, placed his finger against the catch and gently pressed it downwards.

Click.

Edited by Lysimachus

Sanctum Interior:

At the flick of the switch, a grinding noise begins from behind the cabinet wall.

TickTickTickTickTickTickTickTickTickTickTickTickTick...CLUNK. CLANK. HISSSSSSS.

There is the odd feeling nothing has changed, but cool air wafts up into the room, brushing over Reynard's right shoulder.

Yet there is no fan in the wall, and nothing seems to have changed.

Stirred dust flickers as it strikes the wall between the worktops.

Edited by Mazer Rackham
Clarity

Reynard:

Moving towards the source of the breeze, Reynard moved to stand between the two storage units and ran his fingers carefully all across the flat surface of the wall, searching for cracks or gaps through which the air might be passing. After a moment he pushed against the wall, hoping that he was right and that there was some sort of hidden compartment or accessway in front of him.

Sanctum Interior:

Reynard: You bump the cabinet to your right, and realise it is suspended on the wall, by some kind of counterweight. It silently moves out of the way to give you a space some two metres across.

As your questing hands pass over the wall, solid, dead plasteel gives way to a strange tingling sensation. The firmness of the wall gives way to sudden, empty space, and your arms pass through the wall entirely, swallowing them up to your elbows. Yet the wall is still there!

Just an electrical buzz across your arms is the only sensation from what common sense tells you is an illusion. A very good one!

Beyond feels colder than the Sanctum, a damp coolness that makes your hairs stand on end.

And yes, everyone saw that.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

Reynard pulled his hand back sharply, fingers still tingling. He slowly shook the feeling off and looked around the lab, offering a wry grin to the others.

"Knew it."

Then he spoke into his microbead, still connected to the hardline.

+++Voyager, Virtue. Looks like the tenant put in a room divider. Impressive job, too - you'd think the place was half the size. Going to check out the back room.+++

Reynard nodded to Falk and Nicios, leaving Stitches to continue his reading.

"Coming, gentlemen?"

Before either lawman could answer, he stepped forward into the seemingly solid wall, loosening his laspistol in its holster as he went.