[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (RPG IC)

Mazer Rackham

Kerr Restal:

The Weasel adopted another persona, an archetypical bodyguard showing off his weapons. The cross me and find out type.

Niciois walked steadily in the middle in his grey courier's cloak, on an assignment.

Kerr Restal strode after them, the unremarkable tough. He'd never needed to do anything or overtly show off his trade, death preceded him with a warning. People instinctively got out of his way, their unconscious minds alerted to him and their conscious mind forgetting that he had passed them or ever been there.

Sector 12b:

Bardas and Falk experience a relatively uneventful trip across the hive sector to find the machine shop, both keenly aware of the presence of the odd servo-skull as it floats past, undertaking whatever silent assignment given. Despite bobbing out of your way, they pay you no heed.

Following rudimentary signs brings you closer to your mechanical quarry, and you can hear drills and wrenches being applied to recalcitrant machinery. As you enter, you can see two tech menials busy with a drill press and lathe. The latter machine is operated by a Mechanicus Adept obvious by his deep crimson robe, the other by an engineer in technical overalls. An oil-stained human with an augmetic arm approaches the newcomers to this small domain. He quickly directs his attention to Bardas.

"Greeting strangers. Broken tech, spare parts, or a sticky piston?" he asks. His face is set into neutral repose, but his tone is fair.

Bardas

+Greetings, may the Omnissiah’s blessing be upon you.+

Holding up the captured skull Bardas made a warding sign.

+This fellow was behaving erratically, I fear scrap code has been eating at its circuits. Do you possess a cage of St Faraday, I dare not examine it more closely without such sanctified protection+  

Edited by Trokair

Machine Shop:

The shop owner, or perhaps more accurately, Ordinator offers a shallow bow in return to the blessing, offering his own guild sign so that the Opus Mechanicum is not offended by his lesser status.

"Scrap code? An affront to a loyal servant like that. I regret such a device is not within our possession, yet the understanding is. Adept Xerxia?" he bellows the last to the robed acolyte.

The Mechanicus Adept stops work and approaches, long dark hair spilling from her hood. Her face is mostly augmetic, blue-green optical implants and vox grille replacing the weak flesh before. She quickly folds hands augmented with brass rods into her robe sleeves as she glides across the floor smoothly by ferric repulsion. It is obvious that this example of a Mechanicum Adept comes from a larger forge, one blessed with much knowledge of the Omnissiah's ways.

When she speaks, the vox grille distortion only serves to enhance her mellow voice, adding the mystery of the cog to mundane words. The Ordinator quickly relates your request. +A Sheild of St Faraday? We have the tools to manufacture segments, but it will not be as robust as one blessed with the Opus.+

It is odd she chooses to speak Gothic. Perhaps she simply prefers it, or it is for the Ordinator's benefit. Small actuators on her facial construction replicate the features of a face, lifting and flexing as eyebrows and cheekbones would. It is easy to read this face for those not of the Machine.

As a Tech Sentinel, you are aware of Adepts such as this - similar to those frequenting rivet city, here is another Adept Mechanicum Errantor, a wandering Adept serving the machine wherever she finds it, and a staple of the Explorator Clades.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

As they waited for the car to arrive, Reynard considered how his character would interact with the lift attendant. Friendly? Suspicious? Then he realised. To an experienced traveller, she would be just another part of the furniture, ignored unless she became a threat or a hindrance.

When the doors opened and several people - some similarly clad to Nicios - exited, Reynard stalked aboard. He looked around, checking the security of the small plasteel box, then waved for the psyker to follow. Then he took a seat and stretched his legs across to another empty pew on the opposite side.

"Few hours, I'm guessing?" he grunted at Una. "We'll rest while we can. Wake us when we're near the terminus?"

Then he tipped his hat forward, further covering his face. A good way to hide from further scrutiny… and to be honest he really could use the rest. Had it really only been a few hours since he'd slept at the Imperial Knights?

Spoiler

OOC: As this is a new session, I am assuming we will need to have another rest period at some point? This seems like a good opportunity. Will find somewhere to grab food when we reach the Terminus.

Edited by Lysimachus

Lift Car 013:

"Ah, you're no fun," Una throws at Reynard whilst holding the call button to keep the doors open for your colleagues. "About 4 hours give or take."

Once everyone is inside, she waves to the overseer and the doors close, sealing with a hiss of pressure to secure the car from any gases or hazards on its journey uphive.

You don't need to eat or rest per se, this session - as it's once every 24 hours., but feel free to narrate if you'd like. There will indeed be a few stalls up and around your floor.

Kerr Restal:

Nicios and then Kerr Restal entered the lift car. Nicios took a seat and Reynard took a seat too. The Weasel dipped his hat over his eyes and caught some zed's.

Kerr Restal propped himself next to the door so that he could watch the door, his colleagues and the car attendant.

"Hey, good looking! 333rd, I heard of them. You must be something to have retired from them with your looks," said Kerr Restal. "What do you do on these long hauls for kicks to relieve the boredom?"

Lift Car 013:

Una offers a sly grin. "Generally? I wait until the passengers are asleep before robbing them, slitting their throats, and dumping them in the shaft."

She offers a humour-filled wink to Nicios before her manner sobers. "I keep my ears open, watch the escape hatch."

Looking at where she is standing, she is wedged into the front, portside corner of the lift car, feet braced in a space between the seats and the control panel, where the emergency stop and vox are located. She is directly opposite the escape hatch in the roof, a 1 x 1 metre square plate, bolted down through an intumescent gasket. Her lascarbine sits on a sling to hang straight down, muzzle menacing the floor. It's the comfortable, supportive stance of an experienced security guard.

"Other than that, I play a mean game of eye-spy."

The car lurches into motion, impelling a stutter of vertigo in the brisk, spireward ascent.

The Machine Shop:

The Ordinator regards Falk. "This endeavour could be costly, ser. Parts, tools, fabrication unguents...as well as the time spent by the noble Adept not attending to her other labours."

He indicates a bench, which is mostly covered by a cloth. Beside the bench is a standing censer, decanting the acrid scent and holy mysticism of the hallowed Mechanicus incense of concentration. Peeking out from below the cloth appears to be segments of a weapon stripped into components.

"Although, a functioning Faraday device would add much to our capabilities...say 500 Thrones for the work, parts and labour?"

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Nicios

Nicios closes his eyes, attempting to sink into a meditative state while still remaining fairly alert. 

Spoiler

Willpower Test

Target- 53

Roll- 98

Result= Failure, with 4 DoF

Unable to meditate, possibly due to the noise of the lift, Nicios decides to just relax and keep a low-vigilant state. 

Lift Car 013:

"A cluster of Tunnelwebs got in through the air filter once. Bit off a guy's leg before we could kill 'em all," she replies. She glances at Nicios briefly as he shifts uneasily, unaware of his true motivation.

Still, you all realise you have just discovered how Una amuses herself on the long trips.

Falk

"Such questions should be directed to the adept", Falk indicated while motioning towards Bardas. The suggestion that they pay such a sum for a device the mechanicus would retain seemed absurd on its face but Falk did not wish to inadvertantly offend the scions of Mars though improper response or misunderstanding.

Reynard:

Reynard grinned under his hat. He hadn't fallen asleep yet and was listening to the conversation.

"Spiders? Still sounds more fun than dealing with damn Nobles."

Maybe if the guard had heard anything they might need to know about the current situation in the Spire, he could get her talking about it?

The Machine Shop:

"My apologies. Learned Adept Xerxia, perhaps we could discuss the funds required by our honoured Mechanicus guest?"

It is clear that the Ordinator is the type of entrepreneur that likes to suck in air through his teeth after being informed something is broken on a motor vehicle.

Just to belabour the point, this is a narrative Barter encounter. I won't be asking for tests, just a bit of back and forth.

Lift Car 013:

"Deal with Bluebloods? In this hive?" Una chuckles, mirthless. "Why do you think I'm in the car with you?"

“I am sure you could craft a shield of sufficient purity to be up to the task Errantor Xerxia,” Bardas replies.

“If we where to double layer the protection, and have it in a secure location then that should compensate for the lesser blessing. I was thinking that if you had a side or storage room away from any delicate machine spirits that would also help.”

“As for the cage itself a box of say 0.4 meters squared to hold the skull initially, and a larger 2 meters squared or thereabout would give sufficient space for a small work station while the shield is up so as to safeguard you all from whatever the skull has contracted. I would not ask for any of you to put yourself in harm’s way and will take the risk with working on the skull.”

Turning to the Ordinator.

“Honoured Sir, we do not possess that many Thrones, but I can provide assistance in its construction, or in other parts of your workshop to help cover your outlay for its construction. As you say a shield of St Faraday would be a boon to your and the Lady Errantors future endeavours, it would be an investment for the future.”

After a moments consideration Bardas added.

“I may also have some information that could be of use to you, though I do not know its value in thrones, I suspect  Errantor Xerxia would find it of value.”

Edited by Trokair

Reynard:

Reynard snorted in comradely amusement.

"Not been on this world long, but figured as much. 'Ristos are the same all over, ain't they! What's the skinny on your Governor? Aldario, weren't it? Saw her on the picters, seems a bit young fer it?"

Lift Car 013:

"Daggy Maggy? I don't know. Them lot are as different as grox to grits. Seems like she's been stuck on the spire forever."

She takes her poinard and starts clumsily cleaning her nails with the tip, trying to anticipate the sway and bump of the carriage. "Your fella there looks a little wobbly." Her brows flex towards Nicios. "Not going to throw up are you?"

Reynard:

Reynard lifted his hat fractionally to check on Nicios. He was supposed to be playing the 'courier's' guard anyway, but primarily he wanted to make sure the psyker's head wasn't about to explode.

He looked well enough - meditating or something? - so Reynard sat back again and replaced his hat. Let him answer for himself.

What had he been thinking about? Oh, yes. Magda Aldario. Much older than she looked, then? The longer you kept the Governor's throne, the more formidable you must be. Concerning. Perhaps his plan to investigate from the top down was even more risky than he had thought? He wondered if he should find another line of enquiry. Or just get the hell out…?

No, not viable with Verdict's crew waiting and watching.

Hmm. That was a valid point. They hadn't been in contact with their Inquisitorial handlers for the best part of a day. By the time they arrived at the Terminus, they should be high enough for his second microbead to connect with the lander at the spaceport. Maybe the pilot or his master might be able to connect together some of the facts they had gathered, and that would send them in a completely different direction?

Edited by Lysimachus

Lift Car 013:

Una grins.

The guessing game goes on for a while until everyone is either mutually worn out from it, or asleep, and by the third hour, the air and motion of the carriage is warm and gentle enough that everyone has dozed off, or languishes on the threshold of comfortable relaxation.

A thump hits the roof of the car. Then another. Metallic, solid. The car sways from alignment a little more than simple Newtonian motion from being wound up the long shaft.

Una snaps from her staring stupor and readies her equipment. "Doesn't sound like spiders...looks like we might have real guests..."

Reynard:

Reynard's response was immediate, instinctive, all his own. He wasn't thinking about what Von Graen or the as yet unnamed courier guard would do. He stood up, both hands suddenly filled with guns that tracked the noises from above. Anything coming through that hatch would be met by a point-blank blast of shotgun pellets.

The question was, who or what was up there and were they here specifically for the three Acolytes?

"This a common problem on this run?"

Lift car 013:

She's all business now. Eyes roaming the roof.

"Common got nothing to do with it. If we're lucky, it's just some poor bastard what's come off the cable further up."

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

...come off the…?

Reynard barely stopped himself from staring incredulously at the guard. Was she still trying to wind them up? He was suddenly very glad they had chosen to take the lift.

"And if we're not lucky?" he asked gruffly. "What are we looking at?"