[DH1e] The Damocles Contingency (RPG IC)

Mazer Rackham

The Free Market:

Helene reaction: (Parry Feint)

WS: PASS, 2 DoS, Falk Wins

The heavy calibre shell slams into Helene's left arm, catapulting her back against the wall and making her arm momentarily limp.

Damage: +1 Level Fatigue, -2 Wounds

Nicios [ ]

Drexler's Lair:

She shakes her head as she lounges, arms over the back of the seat, well away from her sidearm. Her eyebrows shrug before she swirls the brandy in the glass, watching the liquid shimmer. "I don't know what answers I can give. Besides, don't lie." She fires a rueful smile across the short space. "Of course you want it this way, otherwise why would you do it?"

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Nicios

Good, that blast moved her back.

"Feel the pain that He Who Suffers for all does."

Spoiler

Half Action Manifest Psychic Power (Inflict Pain)

Threshold - 8

Roll - 5(WPB) + 5 + 6 = 16

Overbleed x 0

Result - On a failed WP test, the target suffers a -10 to all Tests as they try to control the wracking pain. No Psychic Phenomena (no 9s rolled). Sustained power (if target WP fails Test).

Sweeping up his pistol, thanking the Emperor that Falk's shot pushed the witch far enough away so that he wasn't going to hit one of his companions, Nicios fired at Helene's twisted face.

Spoiler

Half Action Standard Attack (Called Shot - Head)

Target - 36 + 10 (Red-Dot) + 30 (Point Blank) - 20 (Called Shot) = 56

Roll - 47

Result = Hit, head

Damage - 7 + 3 = 10, Pen 3 (manstopper rounds)

The Free Market:

Helene:

WP: Fail

Seizures wrack Helene as she falls to the ground. As she sees Nicios' gun come up, she hisses at him.

Reaction: Dodge

AG: Fail

As he blows her head off.

Her body slumps against the wall, before dissolving into red and black slurry. The puppets drop like sacks of meat.

++ STRUCTURED TIME ENDS ++

++ NARRATIVE TIME BEGINS ++

Bardas - and Kerr Restal 

Standing at the marked junction Bardas turned each way and considered the way. They had been lucky to get into what was essentially an intact section untouched by the scavengers so quickly, but it did leave him wondering if it was chance that had preserved this part of the ship from the attention of the shipminers, or if something had enforced this security. The Golem after all would want to be safe if indeed part of it was here.

+Voidsman, where would you start your search?+ He asked Kerr Kestal.

The other first shrugged, whether to convey indecision or simple lack of knowledge on the matter Bardas could not tell, but he stepped aside to let the Voidsman wander a short distance down each path, looking for clues no doubt. A few times he thought the other had addressed him, but he had not, instead quietly talking to himself, a barely audible mutter, voicing out an internal strain of thought, perhaps.

Would an observation room on a voidship be direct observation of the outside, or was it the heart of a sensor web. Either way he reasoned that it dealt with the outside and they were interested in the inside. A thought arose from his dealing with the Arbites, perhaps it was observation room to keep tap on the prisoners, but if that was the case they could just go to the holding cells directly if the direction at the junction where to be believed. Something to keep in mind if their way becomes blocked or the other proved fruitless, but for now Bardas concluded it was not their path.

The holding cells where a secured area, and therefore where anything of value might also have been held, but if you escaped from here would you go back there to make a home? While he considered that Kerr Restal appears to have come to a decisions of sorts, he stood facing the path to the command deck, though angled ever so slightly to also head towards the holding cells.

“If the Golem broke out and sought to wrest control of the ship it would have sought out the Command deck, we should start there.”

+I concur,+ Bardas replied, his thought had also turned in that direction, if perhaps on more practical reasoning. +If not then we might other useful information, such as a ship schematic to aid our passage or a data log of the events.+

The emergency glowstrips helped a little, but really just outlined the corridor rather than illuminated it. Picking up the glowglobe again Bardas secured it once more to the end of his staff with a little net harness, letting it dangle like a lantern ahead of them.   

They had passed some minor corridors, the markings for them just numeric codes he had yet to assign meaning, store rooms perhaps, or crew quarters.  A set of stairs proved a temporary delay, the steps themselves twisted out of shape by the impact, but with some carful footwork they found enough stable points to ascend, the Voidsman seem to know where it was safe to tread and where not, so he let him lead the way. All the way he had been unspooling the rope, tying it off on occasions when an opportunity presented itself.

The damage was steadily visually worsening, from having been almost intact at the point where they entered over half the wall panels he estimated now showed damage, stress distortion, tears, scorching. At one point a pipe must have burst, as one section was overrun with rust.

Now cables hung haphazardly across their path. The first few they had been able to just manoeuvre past, but this cluster took up much space in the corridor, and when they moved one out of their way its motion propagated and set some other cables swinging.  Sparks erupted in little showers as some of the swinging damaged cables connected with metal for a moment.

+This might get a bit tricky to get trough.+

“Only if we have to contend with the power flow, individual sections often have their own kill switches.”

+I can see why in a structure this large that would be sensible, what should we be looking for?+

Kerr Kestal described several common ship access panel designs and markers he knew from his childhood, for all the diversity of humanity certain things where reliably standard.  

Spoiler

Perception Test to spot circuit breakers

Per:34 +10 (Assistance) = 44

D100: 22, Pass, 2 DoS

It took a few minutes, a loose panel had fallen in front of it, but they did find a little recessed latch. Getting it open was trivial, the cover swinging aside. Inside was a diagnostic interface, scorged from a power surge by the look of it, as well as a complicated cable junction, some were power, some communication or other systems. Several switches and leavers where also assessable, but a closer examination showed that they were not the power breakers the Voidsman had thought there would be. Instead they merely diverted connections.

+Blessed Redundancy, in case one section is damaged, but which one will divert the leaking power ahead of us.+ Bardas mussed. Without a better understanding of the ship they would have to resort to trial and error.

The Voidsman reached in, guided by experience, intuition or his developing blessing, Bardas was not sure which, and moved two leavers and flicked several switches. No shower of sparks greeted them this time, and while the cables where still a nuisance with patient carful work they made their way through.

A rhythmic cyclical noise, metal hitting metal, a scrape and then the hit again. At first they had frozen, had they been discovered and some threat was coming for them, but the noise continued unchanged. It was defiantly coming from ahead.

The source of the noise, while not treating itself, was not a comfort either. A door caught in a loop, trying to close, opening and trying to close again, over and over. The remains of an armoured guard was obstructing the door, the chest armour wedged in such a way that despite the years of pounding by the door it would not move. The body inside however had been reduced to dust by the endless pounding. The rest of guard was more intact, the flesh mummified by time.

Beyond the door was the remains of the bridge, mummified servitors still at their station, and the remains of a few other personal. However they bore signs of battle, whether before or after the crush he could not tell.

“There are not enough.” Kerr Restal indicated the remains. “At most this was a Skelton crew.”

Reynard:

Reynard almost put his pistol down in surprise.

"Seriously? You've never had to do things you would've preferred not to, because circumstances forced you? I wasn't sure if you were actually highborn or not... now I'm convinced."

He waved his free hand to dismiss that particular issue.

"But that is not important right now. My Lady, allow me to lay out some facts. Firstly, you use many servo-skulls. Perhaps that is a pure coincidence… or in the current situation, perhaps not. Perhaps it shows who your friends are? More importantly, you had access to the picter footage that shortly afterwards was used against my team. You're also heavily involved with the criminal elements of Primus, from which the majority of the cults now plaguing the Hive have since arisen - for example, Tarkan Pirentus and his hedonistic little coven. You must be able to see that these facts suggest that you might be involved?"

"However… I also noticed that you have cut yourself off from all data connections to the Hive, which to my mind might be suggestive to the contrary? The fact that Greyson... or perhaps his employers... want you killed might also imply that you are not our enemy."

Reynard shrugged.

"My employer's questions are fairly simple. What is your relationship with the Golem? I don't believe you don't know about its presence here on Damocles, so please don't waste both our time pretending otherwise. What do you know about where it is hiding, what it is planning? What about the uprisings that are taking place across the Hive? Are they being coordinated, and by whom?"

Edited by Lysimachus

Falk

And like that it was done, no unstoppable monster but a simple human woman who had caused countless deaths and untold destruction through nothing more than the fear of those that could have stopped her.

"We will take a blood sample for confirmation and cremate the body, Scourge free the civilian from her bindings", he looked up to see the armoured warrior still and gripping his bolter tightly and stood cautiously with pistol held ready awaiting a reply.

Drexler's Lair:

"You misunderstand me, but as you say, never mind. To business, then."

"I am attended by only two servo skulls, Bentley and Florence. They weren't gifts. I had them adapted by a sympathetic Magos Errantor. Their data and noospheric loops are quite advanced, A necessity for my line of work. It is there my links with the Mechanicum end."

At the sound of their names, the servo skulls bob at roughly head height. Florence does so whilst one of its tiny manipulators holds Alyce's hand, leading her into the room. The small girl sits on a box. Alyce picks up a cushion and hugs it to her chest. She looks especially nervous. Bentley returns to mending Seb.

"Of course, you're right. I'm involved with every gang, criminal and lawman - but not exclusively, and they want me dead for it. None would dare, normally. All it would take is the upending of this hive to stir them to action. Very convenient, don't you think?" She fires another rueful smile. Drexler regards the screens, now covered in static, or flickering on and off. "The images were bought. I buy and sell. What the gangers or spire-dwellers do with it, is not my concern. I deal in chess pieces, Reynard, but I don't move them. Besides, Pirentus was a slug, and quite the contrary to dirty holocom vids, not all girls like armpit tentacles."

She chuckles.

"The golem - yes. I am aware of what you speak. I had thought it some rogue element of the Coggers, but thankfully I was insulated by a suitable level of paranoia." She goes to sip the brandy, but instead dips the index finger of her opposite hand into the liquid, running it around the rim to to elicit a gentle ring. "As to where it is, or what it is thinking, how would I know? I'm hoping I'm as blind to it, as it is to me."

Drexler eases back, taking a long drink of the liquor before sighing, satisfied. She stares over your shoulder.

"I know the Arbites are co-ordinating something. Yet with all the upheaval, and the compartmentalisation of the hive, a lot of my sources are silenced. I suppose you'll just have to cut the cancer out with a...Scalpel, Reynard."

There is the sound of displaced air behind you, and Bentley is gone.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

Reynard grinned and rolled his eyes theatrically.

"I assume that means reinforcements are now on their way? Or did my name just get added to a hit list of some sort? I haven't met 'Scalpel' yet, but with a name like that I can make a fair guess at what she does."

He shook his head, holstering his pistol to show his intent.

"It's not necessary. If what you've just told me is the truth, we don't have any problem with each other. I'm not working for the Arbitrators. My employer doesn't have any interest in local criminal activities, or your own business. His focus is on… on a much bigger picture, shall we say? As long as you don't lie to us or hinder us, he's happy for us to be friends. I know I'd prefer that. I think we could work well together."

Reynard offered a genuine, charming smile.

"Unfortunately, I'm afraid I simply don't believe all of what you just said. You've been in a position to observe everything that has happened on this world in recent times. Patterns in criminal activity, changes in gang territory boundaries, tremblings in the heartbeat of the underhive itself. You must have some idea of where the Golem has set up its power base?"

Edited by Lysimachus

Scourge:

Breathe in, breathe out. The other presence vanished from his mind, and the imaginary shackles binding his limbs were released. He felt drained, and violated. Powerless. He shuddered and became dimly aware that Falk was speaking to him. He canted his helm up to look at the arbites officer through the viewing slit and forced his hands open, releasing the boltgun which thudded against his cuirass. He nodded at the other man and dropped to one knee to collect his discarded arms.

"Urgh… we shouldst burn her remains, whatever we canst. Burn it all, if we hath the means." 

His weapons were returned to their various holsters, straps and hooks, and he rose to his feet and tramped over to the bound woman, drawing his dagger along the way. He knelt beside her, the servos in his armour groaning slightly, and with a few quick slices her bindings fell away. He helped her to a sitting position and offered her a drink from his hip flask. 

"Drink slowly, good woman."

He permitted her a few nervous sips before taking the flask back. 

"Art thou able to walk? Thou shouldst take thyself to safety with all due haste, if thou canst manage it. Evil stalks these halls." 

Edited by Necronaut

Drexler's Lair:

"Not terribly subtle, I'll grant you, but circumstances..." replies the information broker, with a gentle flourish of her free hand. Drexler folds one knee over the other, bounces her foot. "Scalpel will only act on it if I have an unfortunate accident. She prefers to work cold."

She looks across to Alyce. Florence has produced a small comb and is tending to the girl's hair.

"Whether you believe me or not is irrelevant," Drexler continues. "I can't give you what I don't have. I envy this 'Golem'. The bastard is everywhere, my main competitor in some circumstances. Information is useless second hand. He's gazumped me a few times."

She takes another draught, relaxes, considers you for a long moment before looking away.

"If I were you, I'd be digging into the Coggers. It's the only place I don't - didn't - have eyes. Elimination of where he isn't, proves where he is. As Seraph once said: look not for the noise, but the silence. Now, are we going to let your friend tell his story?"

The Free Market:

The woman looks up at Scourge. "Thank you. I'll light a candle at the shrine for you all."

She gets to her feet, and staggering at first, catches her breath and hurries away.

Helene's body is rapidly decomposing. Carrying away her body without a bucket would be difficult, but a sample is probably the easier option.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Nicios

"Let me see if we are truly done." Nicios didn't trust the death of Helene, she had already come back once...

Spoiler

Manifest Pyschic Power (Sense Presence)

Threshold - 7

Roll - 5(WPB) + 7 = 12

Overbleed x 1 (5 over threshold) - +10m range

Result = 60m range, sense presence of living creatures. No Psychic Phenomenon occur (no 9s rolled).

Falk:

Another sister, another vial. He hoped that Gwynne would fair better.

The rest he would burn with what rags and alcohol he could find along with those animated by her power lest they still carry the taint. No doubt this whole area would need to be sterilised in flame when matters were ended.

"Far from done, whatever her sins Helene was a sympton not the cause that we seek. But she is one less ally that might be called upon by the golem and the more directly it must act the closer we will come to finding it.".

Reynard:

It sounded like Seraph - whoever that was - would get on well with Vigilance. Good logic, in spite of the hokey mysticism.

"That matches with what we already know, independent corroboration is always useful. I wouldn't envy the Golem too much though, I know the old bastard who's coming after them."

He took another sniff of the brandy, and a tiny sip.

"Actually, you might want to keep that thought in mind, that aiding me will lead to taking out your 'main competitor'. Might encourage you to be… helpful?"

He grinned, his icy blue eyes meeting and holding the deeper sapphire of hers for a long moment.

"Fine, fine!" he snorted finally, "it might mean the death of me yet, but I believe you, my beautiful and dangerous Lady. May the Emperor have mercy on my foolish soul!"

He turned to look at the young data-crypter, who seemed in much better health than when Reynard had first arrived.

"Well Seb, last I saw you, you were going looking for Tracer. I know you found him. What has happened since then?"

Nicios ONLY:

Spoiler

The cloying, clogging presence is gone, replaced only with the strange footfall of souls released to the aether. Apart from your comrades, and the rapidly vanishing trail of the rescued woman, you detect nothing bar the grey, blank walls.

Reynard:

Seb peers at you, circles the room before returning your gaze. "Tracer knew da wasn't held by the cops. I started poking around, and soon they found me. Canthus has da, locked away tight in their holdings uphive. Tracer helped build me a card, I got in. That was when I was caught."

He gently lifts his robe to show the bruising.

"They had a word with me. Made me a deal. My da in exchange for some chemical brewed up by Dreyfuss. I told them he was dead, and the big guy, Greyson, went nuts. Said they needed it before anyone else. He let me see da. He was alive - just like you said."

He sighs, looks at the floor.

"I followed whispers, got a tip off about this place. I'm sorry about the mess."

Drexler's mouth forms a tight line, remains silent.

Nicios

"There is no more pyschic activity here." 

Nicios looks at Falk collecting the sample of the dead witch. He reloads his pistol with one of his ready magazines and speaks again.

"We should look for Reynard after you are done. He may need assistance and the golem may have more minions nearby."

Reynard:

Reynard frowned thoughtfully. Why did Greyson want the cure? Was he still operating under old orders from Kraevus and Helene?

Hopefully both dead by now…

But why would they have wanted it? Maybe just to destroy it, deny its use?

Or had Greyson's leash now changed hands? Reynard knew De Grassi wanted the cure, presumably to try and revive the real Magda Aldario… and he certainly had the funds to pay for a mercenary.

More information needed.

"Slow it down a beat, kid. How did we go from them wanting Dreyfuss' gear to wanting my friend here killed? Where in Canthus' territory were they holed up? Did you see anyone else there? Was House Canthus itself involved, or was Greyson working on his own?"

Reynard:

Seb spreads his hands, offers them in apology. "Miss...Drexler?"

She nods.

"Came in whilst I was...searching. I know where people hide things, even careful people." He shrugs. "I bought the gun from a dealer. I didn't mean to kill anyone - I'll just do...anything for da. I panicked."

"Well, thankfully you're not much of a marksman," she says.

"I got as far as the medical wing," Seb continues, colouring a little. "They were expecting me, I think. When I got in they were all over me. I got marched down some corridors, blindfolded, until they put me in a cell with da. They'd treated his wounds. Course he can only scratch his balls one-handed, like-"

Drexler bursts out laughing, and Seb goes even redder, shutting up, before pulling out a commbead.

"Greyson only said he wanted Dreyfuss' serum. Nothing else, he kept tight-lipped," Seb finished.

Alyce, her hair nicely combed begins wringing her hands. When she speaks, her voice is small. "There were spiders in the tunnel outside."

"I know, honey," Drexler replies, "they won't come in here."

"Even the big one?"

Edited by Mazer Rackham
Clarity

Reynard:

So, Greyson didn't want Drexler dead at all. And the merc was based in the Canthus medical wing, presumably the same place to which Stitches had been given a key, which now rested in one of Reynard's pockets. But what did Greyson want?

"Who does the microbead connect to? Are they listening now? Why did Greyson think you'd find the serum here... or was that your own bright idea?"

Before Seb could answer, something about Alyce's words sent a sudden stab of paranoia through him. He waved the room to silence and moved quickly towards the door, pulling his laspistol back out.

Hadn't the servitor-thing that attacked Bardas earlier looked a bit like a big spider?

Edited by Lysimachus

Reynard:

"One of Greyson's men, a voxbreaker," Seb replies. "Greyson told me to try and find Ms Drexler. Said I had the smarts and motivation. He suggested she'd know where the serum was - if she didn't have it already."

"I got the impression I wasn't alone, so I tracked the frequency back - I'm on a relay with five others, but I don't know where they are."

Drexler looks up, guarded. "I don't have this...serum. I helped Dreyfuss for fair exchange, that was it."

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

Reynard looked quickly out of the door and along the service tunnel. A few tunnelwebs, but nothing else visible. After checking that the door was securely closed behind him, he returned to the study.

"It's fine. I'm not worried about who has the serum. Seb, five others? You're connected to them right now? What's the range on a microbead like that inside a Hive?"

It sounded a lot like Greyson had believed the kid would be able to find Drexler for him, but when it came to actually dealing with her, he might have put other plans in place? He looked back at her.

"Please let me be right in thinking that you're smart enough to have more than one way in and out of here?"

Reynard:

Drexler looks at you, eyes narrowing. "That's an interesting choice of words."

Seb ignores her. "It's on a relay, so it's patchy and takes a few moments, but it should go back to Greyson's HQ."

The Hidden Library:

Falk, Nicios and Scourge proceed mainly from memory, with Nicios' agile sight steering. As you reach the door you are familiar with, the ice and chill has gone, but a corpse remains. The two lawmen will recognise Geist - or what's left of him, plastered and torn all over the walls and floor. As you approach the door it opens, acolytes of the blind Seer within, hurrying you inside.

This time the library has a bit more activity, with civilians moving about, placing books into haversacks for transport. It appears the Magisters are about to move.

The older male Magister greets you all with a shallow bow. "She is expecting you."

He ushers you through the stacks to a small shrine, tucked away down a short corridor. Candles light the way, main power long having gone or never exiting. Humanity living in the old places, the cracks of a broken glass castle. Lady Gwynne kneels before an altar to the Emperor, grasping her staff.

"Thank you, please leave our guests with me," she whispers. The man retreats, bowing, leaving you alone with her in the shrine.

"Speak freely," she tells you, "for truth abides in the Emperor's sight."

The Wreck:

The command and control deck still has a working cogitator. After some appeasement, and the presentation of your electoo, it yields up the secrets. Within inventory in the holding cells there is a strongbox like the one you seek. Alongside it are entries for several seized and stored items, one under Locke's own hand and seal.

It appears your quarry is located there.

A grainy signal comes down. +S...face con...s now ET. ten min...es. C...?+

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Reynard:

"Sorry darling," Reynard drawled, "no offence intended. It's just not the first time someone has led me into the bottom of a sack and Greyson and his boys arrived to pull the drawstrings shut. I got us out, of course - the house burning I mentioned earlier? - but it wasn't fun. Not a situation I ever want to get stuck in again."

He winked at Seb.

"So they aren't close, kid? Hmm, maybe while we've got a decent amount of Hive between us and them, it might be worth trying to talk to Greyson, find out what he actually wants? Maybe we can work out a solution that doesn't involve gunplay? What do you think, my Lady?"

Reynard:

"Again, I'm not sure you follow me, Reynard," Drexler replies, calm, deliberate. "You said you weren't 'worried' who had this...serum. Rather cavalier about something someone wants so badly, don't you think? Very interesting - from a man like you."

Seb's earpiece crackles. "X-ray, Brutus. Sitrep, over?"

Reynard:

Interesting that you notice that, darling.

"To be honest, it's more that I don't think anyone is getting it, so I'm not wasting my time?"

Reynard shrugged, ignoring the vox for now. They could wait.

"We took a vial of serum from Dreyfuss' lab before we came to see you the first time. Didn't know what it was. Some of my team were carrying it away for analysis, almost made it out of the Hive too, but they were attacked by Tarkan Pirentus' gang. Oh, you'll be happy to know the slug is dead, by the way. You're welcome."

He softly tapped the stock of his shotgun.

"I found out later that he was paid by (OOC: can't remember his first name!) De Grassi to steal the vial. But when De Grassi came to collect it, Pirentus fobbed him off. You don't do that to someone that high up the food chain, not without good reason. Only thing I can think of is that his goons accidentally torched the vial when they attacked our shuttle. They certainly made a big enough mess of it, killed at least one of my colleagues in the blast."

"So, if I'm right, the serum is gone. If Greyson doesn't know that, though, I'm not going to tell him. Apparently he was working for Kraevus and Helene Aldario. Maybe he moved on to working for De Grassi after they were pushed out of the Spire?"

He paused, thinking whether or not to say anything else. He still didn't know for sure that Drexler wasn't playing him... maybe she was even working with Greyson - and/or De Grassi - and this whole thing was just a set up?

Hang on… a big spider…