The Argent Forge: Brother Argent does Imperium

INTRODUCTION

So, its that time again.  A time veterans of this esteemed forum will know.  A time full of promise and, ultimately, disappointment.  Its that time when Brother Argent reawakens the Argent Forge and starts another WIP blog.  One that will, if past experiences are anything to go off, will likely fizzle out after a few weeks as I am far too much a procrastinator to not give in to hobby butterfly and then stare at models for weeks on end making up constant excuses in my head as to why I can't post something rather then just taking the damned photo, posting the pic and a few words of blurb and just bloody moving on... :facepalm:

Anyway... In an attempt to share my works with you all outside of The 12 Months of Hobby 2022 thread, run by the amazing Grotsmasha, I have decided to start this little project to chronicle my (likely vain) attempts to keep up with the newly arrived in Australia Imperium magazine by Hachette Partworks.  I wont teach people to suck eggs here but for those not aware Imperium is a (technically) weekly magazine full of Necrons and a various Imperial forces that drip feeds you two forces over the course of a lot of issues.  It it my intention with this new blog to keep pace with this and attempt to paint the models etc as they come.

But those whom know me know my first and forever home on this forum is The Liber.  Although I haven't ventured there as much as I would like these past years (something I promise to try and rectify... again...) as the Unofficial Reclusiarch of the Liber I could never paint established armies or even complete any sort of challenge or project without also adding reams of useless and overly verbose fluff :sweat:.  So as I complete these logs I intend on fluffing out a full conflict through the battle reports etc of the magazine.

In the interest of keeping myself accountable I have decided to lay down some rules for this challenge.  Indeed if there were any other people starting the magazine now then they would be more then welcome to try there own version of this challenge.  So:

THE RULES

1.  Models must be completed one issue at a time, and one issue per week.
  2. Models must be completed in the order they arrive (ie, Issue 1, 2, 3 etc)
  3. Paint issues are considered "BYE ISSUES" and can be used to either catch up on missed models, skipped to get ahead, or paint models of my choice from my enormous Pile O' Shame 
  4. All models must be completely painted before moving on. Basing may be included within the next two issues to save on time and paint.
  5. All models must be accompanied by fluff
  6. All armies must be DIY and will be detailed in the Liber
  7. Battles/Scenarios from the magazines will be played and the results will develop the fluff of the course of the narrative.
  8. Present before and after images of each model
  9. Weekly updates on progress, most likely on a Sunday.
  10. Have fun.

THE FORCES SO FAR

So, the Primaris never really fitted with my Star Leopards chapter of the Astartes.  And with the promised/predicted arrival over the course of the magazine of Marneus Calgar as well as Roboute Guilliman I felt the need to have the marines in question be an Ultramarine Successor with a accepted Primaris presence.   It was also my dream since before the original release of Apocalypse to own a full Battle Company, if not Chapter.  Indeed I bought one of the original Battle Company formation boxes that is currently about half done in fourteen different marine colour schemes... But anyway, back on topic. 

Other then a recycled name from one of my previous works I have decided to go a whole new marine Chapter. 

The INTERDICTORS (IA article TBA).

large.Interdictor.png.24c005504235d4b3974824491613fda9.png.1dfa75a0b001d9f9ffe74c08509171ce.png

My intent at this point is to go full Primaris with a strong Greco-Roman vibe.  I am hoping to push my skills with transfers, free hand, company markings and battle damage.   Note from the pic I am intending on focussing around the 3rd Company, as per the red shoulder rim, as decided by a dice roll.

The Interdictors fluff will be based around a mix of Greek City States with some Roman politics and gladiatorial combat thrown in along with a pinch of corrupted greek mythology. I will elaborate more as I go but in short these guys are not the nice guys like the Star Leopards.

On the other side of the fence we have:

The ALMWAT DYNASTY (IX article TBA)

large.1171223744_NecronsAfter.jpg.c9041501327d8cf8f9a92ee1f89251e9.jpg.4933c2d000dfacbf7eb4f3bfcb578ccc.jpg

A horrible and out of focus and over exposed image I hope to replace but gives the idea of the colour scheme.  Based off my necrons from quite some time ago the Necrontyr were one of my first 40k armies way back in the day.  They are an Egyptian themed army (Tomb Kings were my first Fantasy army before the whole setting got Squatted.  Is that even a phrase we can use anymore?).  

** The Sororitas and Mechanicus will be detailed here as they are released. **

HANDY DANDY INDEX THINGY

** I realise these links aren't working and will address at some point soon hopefully **

• ISSUE 1 (Primaris Lt and Royal Warden) BEFORE/FINISH
  • ISSUE 2 (Necron Warriors x3) BEFORE/FINISH
  • ISSUE 3 (Assault Intercessors x3) BEFORE/AFTER
  • ISSUE 4 (Scorpekh Destroyers x3) BEFORE/AFTER
  • ISSUE 4 (Primaris Captain) BEFORE/AFTER
  • ISSUE 5 (Primaris Aggressors x3) BEFORE/AFTER
  • ISSUE 6 (BYE ISSUE) 
  • ISSUE 7 (Necron Overlord) BEFORE/AFTER
  • ISSUE 8 (... I stuffed up something in here...)
  • ISSUE 9/10 (Necron Warriors x10 Scarabs x3) BEFORE/AFTER
  • ISSUE... Yes I have them... (Phobos Librarian) BEFORE/AFTER

A FINAL WORD

Finally thank you all for joining my on this journey and I hope to gather all the inspiration and encouragement I can from my amazing brothers and sisters here and I hope to share some of my passion for the hobby and maybe give inspiration and help to others along the way.

Edited by Brother Argent

ISSUE 1 Before:

Okay so to start things off my first before will be fluff less at least at first.  I am mostly just focussing on getting pictures up and proving that I am going to try my hardest at this.

So the first models that come are a Primaris Lt and a Royal Warden.

large.1714103173_Lt2Before.jpg.dee93747cd56b7516d1b7c35d3b63bb7.jpg.bd7df794f95191a5533e3e77ae1079dc.jpg

A slight conversion on the LT to give him a more characterful bare head with the helmet mag locked to his belt.  I was never over keen on this model and looking at the result I got here I think the helmet is what always put me off. 

large.712251796_RoyalWarden.jpg.0b2164f828ffb22abb425f9e323d7866.jpg.2e0cba7526c0097315c1b6cd3e93db40.jpg

Excuse the BluTac here but the model wouldn't sit together for some reason and I will paint him in sub assemblies.  I have painted one of these before and I was unsure if having two was worth it and how I would differentiate the two.  I debated various conversions but in the end decided to begin with I would just push on and stick with simple at first.  One of the cloak medallion thingies broke off with assemble so at least he will have that small difference.

I have been working on the LT for the past few days and this is where I am up to:

large.1712245235_Lt2After.jpg.42f68420575b2b042d59eee9ebf4fe1a.jpg.021ef37c3ed20a1a027223a0b8e892b7.jpg

I am happy with things moslty, but this photo is a little blurred.  I am happy with how orange, skin tones and robes.  At this point I am on the fence with the leather, particularly the scabard.  It is just Snakebite Leather contrast and I think the tan blends too much with the orange.  The blue gems/lenses pop well but cant be certain on how the scheme works till I get to the rank and file. 

For chapter symbol I am thinking the Ultramarine Aggemmo ( U ) with a sword or spear through it, based of the sculpted pads and the symbols of the Victrix Guard to further assimilate them the the army. 

I am looking at a urban ruins base, the cool blue grey to contrast the orange, and still need to get weathering powder and other bits to look at weathering a chipping at a later stage.  But I am unsure on the best way to do bases at this point.  Necrons will continue with the desert bases.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts etc, eager to get feed back as this project begins.

Concur, the orange looks good for "just contrast". As for the Snakebite leather, I dunno if it'd be better to darken it with further washes (don't think a darker base brown works), or push it to an almost white for the pop. Worth a test or two to see what you prefer, or look for other orange schemes.

Thanks for all the comments guys.  My usual leather scheme is either Scorched Brown (or Wyldwood) with XV-88 then Flayed One Flesh to simulate wear with an Agrax Earthshade over the top wash but I was trying for a more subtle effect this time.  The Snakebite hasn't worked anywhere as well as I would have liked so when I do the Assault Intercessors in a week or so I may try a darker brown and work it back up and, if I am happy with the effect, come back and rework it.

Sadly I have already overshot my week one goals but hopefully by Sunday I will have some serious progress to show.

18 hours ago, Brother Argent said:

...Sadly I have already overshot my week one goals but hopefully by Sunday I will have some serious progress to show.

Being a procrastinator myself at times, I would advise against setting too strict time frames and model counts. You will be getting whole squads and terrain pieces with some issues so in order not to get discouraged by rules and perceived "failures", I would call it a win if you manage to paint 1-3 models per week :smile:

Edited by Majkhel

Similar to what @Majkhel said, very strict timelines might not be a great idea. I'm running through the US sub right now, and keeping up fairly well, but have had several months that I've slipped up or overshot what I though I'd be able to do.  

ISSUE 1:  After

The world of Iximia.  A world of relative insignificance located at the edge of the segmentum.  A world which had, for the most part, escaped the conflicts that embroiled the Imperium for the longest of times, most likely in part for its relatively strategic insignificance.  Covered in part in sprawling manufactorums under the eye of the Adeptus Mechanicus that churned out mundane goods for the Imperium in large as well as large cities, teeming with the multitude of workers whose lives were spent in drudgery and bleak oppression in the facilities it was a world that had been untouched by heresy or the depredations of the xenos.  The only scars on its surface the large mines that were scattered like poxes across the vast red wastes that lay between its more civilized areas like a twisting cancer.  Its factories to small for it to be considered a Forge World and its cities too small for it to be considered a Hive World it has, for the longest time, rarely registered on the concerns of the Imperium at large, as long as it has continued to supply its tithe in man power and materials.  This all came to an end in the later part of M.41 when the Imperium, already stretched thin despite the efforts of the newly awakened Primarch of the Ultramarines and the conclusion of his Indomitus Crusade, came under renewed assault by any number of enemies.

Communications were received from the planetary Governor of Iximia, Perania Illum, requesting aid in fending of sudden attacks from an unknown foe.  At first the communicae went ignored.  Iximia was an unimportant enough world and forces in the area were already stretched thin.  A short while later another, more desperate call was received, then nothing.  The planet went silent.  Further attempts to reach the planet went unanswered.  Something was not right on Iximia.

Eager to prove themselves as well as execute their duty to the fullest it would be the Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes known as the Interdictors that would answer the call.  Forged from the geneseed of the Thirteenth Legion the chapter had embraced the Primarchs gift of the Primaris and indeed many of its brothers had crossed the Rubicon Primaris, supplementing the ranks of those brought by the Primarch.  The Chapter Master of the Interdictors dispatched a strike force composed mostly of the fully Primaris 3rd Company under the command of Captain Pilus Menelaus, a young captain only new to his command.  

Arriving at the planet to find the space above the planet clear of ships but still unable to contact anyone on the surface Pilus was still unable to determine what foe he might face on the planet below.  Iximia's surface was currently wreathed in a radioactive storm that made any attempts to scan or communicate with the planets surface impossible.  Deciding that sending forces to the planets surface in an attempt to piece through the storm was the only option he divided his forced into three, one under his direct command and placing the other two under his two company lieutenants, he ordered his forces to board crafts and set out for the three major habitat zones on the planets surface.

This proved to be a tragic mistake...

Okay... so only a few days (and a week more then intended) late and here is my first weekly(ish) update.  I have, for the most part, finished Issue 1. The Lt still needs a bit of free hand, transfers and his base but these are all things I am on the fence on.  On the interest of not getting bogged down, as I have so far, I decided to push on.  So firstly, the over all Issue shot:

large.709740502_Issue1After.jpg.8dbf168c14414d9865a383851eea0631.jpg.360dc30b7e15d7f585917cd5b19a7771.jpg

For some reason the colours on the Royal Warden are coming across really cold and washed out.  Not sure what is going on there... 

So, some individual shots on the LT,

large.737272145_Lt2AfterFront.jpg.1fbff1579d50b9779eb9aee28ba1cbf4.jpg.4402410430791e0f9979a0d737e80e12.jpglarge.1350556939_Lt2Afterbehind.jpg.34ca87c8a58c551044dd95850680b1c2.jpg.729941f3047aa265e0e5f9923450dd17.jpg

Not much has changed since the last shots.  Tried a darker wash on the leather but still not happy with it.  Will experiment on the Assault Intercessors.  Unfortunately this zoomed in you can see texture marks on the black.  Not sure if they are from too much paint or just marks on the plastic.  Finally a glamour shot and some fluff:

large.883637271_LtMugShot.jpg.0b6f7e29a20ae4584f8a4db009b5904c.jpg.698b86e2691ae79f2e63efde545892e9.jpg

Lt Hadrian Aximandus of the Interdictors 3rd Company

FLUFF TBA in the next day or so

Now onto the Royal Warden.  This isn't the first on these I have painted, but let me just say that for some reason this :cuss: of a model wouldn't go together properly.  I don't know if it got warped or bent in transit or what but for the life of my it wouldn't go together neatly. 

large.461716898_RoyalWardenAfter.jpg.f217b0338b6fc87f8c656b61b095f93c.jpg.d8bffe0651cd38b2f38bfcbb1a05058f.jpglarge.1085485271_RoyalWardenbehind.jpg.ca556866f9686f96e69c2d58b7179f18.jpg.17a24dd46d12ae4dafcf971148550dc1.jpg

The colours are really washed out but the gun effects actually look alright in person.  And so for the glamour shot/fluff

large.228025312_RoyalWardenMugshot.jpg.abad73c6690816d70fb3702d18a54cc0.jpg.c50e5bffea53a3fc9b811ad594112332.jpg

Royal Warden Ahtmoteph the Twisted

Ahtmoteph was never really considered incredibly sane in life.  Renowned for his paranoia and often cruel and callous behavior he was an ideal candidate for the body guard of the dynasties royal personage.  Envious of his own brother, another of the dynasties Royal Wardens, he would often torture seemingly loyal servants till they confessed and saw conspiracies and enemies in every shadowy corner.

The long sleep and being raised to immortality certainly hasn't done any favours to the Wardens twisted mind.  Indeed the time has seemingly only worsened his conditions.  Still one doesn't need sanity to follow orders and commands and so the Phaeron and his household ignore Ahtmoteph's idiosyncrasies as long as he remains loyal and obedient. 

Okay so there we go.  Will get the warriors up tomorrow.  Just received my next delivery so its going to be hard down this week to get back to where I was hoping to be.  If I don't get there then no stress, but going to give it a red hot crack.  I will get a battle report up soonish.  Thanks for all the comments guys.  I love hearing your feedback and ideas.

First off, congratulations on your first completions! :biggrin:
I think the leather is definitely improved by the darker hue. Markings visible on the black seem to be caused by paint's thickness. a coat of matt varnish might help in masking that.

As for the perceived washed-out colors on the Warden - I would say it might be related to the white background. Warden's scheme is light and intense white background takes away a lot of saturation and contrast away. I would advise black here even if it comes out grey in the pictures.

I like the blue stripe on the Warden's head!

Issue 2: Before

As soon as the Interdictors' vessels entered the shroud of the storms they came under heavy fire from previously undetected xenos craft.  Hidden by the blanketing storm ancient craft fired crackling gauss fire and death rays at the astartes vessels as the planets assailants made themselves known.  Iximia had come under assault by the ancient xeno known to the Imperium as the Necrons.

Despite this sudden and unexpected attack the vessels were Astartes craft,  Forged by some of the best the Imperium has and commanded by enhanced astartes pilots the Interdictors were now so easily crushed.  But even the phenomenal skill of their super human pilots many Interdictor craft were brought low by xenos fire, crashing to the planets surface or simply disintegrating under the barrage of eldritch energies.

With communication all but impossible in the storm and his forces scattered and being torn apart Captain Pilus did the best he could to try to press his strike force on and make planetfall where they could.  Once they cleared the storm they could land, re-establish communication and then rendezvous and form a plan from there.

But the planets surface was just as inhabited by the xenos as the skies.  The Interdictors would need to fight for every inch of ground they stepped.

large.89763698_Warriorsx3.jpg.29ecb3dc7e0dfda6b64fe2313efe9dcb.jpg.9f1c10013e51e550c3bf699194d3bd31.jpg

So here I go again.  Models are already primed and started.  Going to push hard with these and then try to push through on Assault Intercessors.  After that is unfortunately Scorpek Destroyers.  Whilst I like the models I have only recently finished painting some and I didn't enjoy the experience at all.

Anyway, I better get to it.

@Majkhel - Thanks for your support and interest and advice mate.  I am hoping to gloss varnish the shoulder then add transfers and matt varnish the whole model so hopefully that tones down the thick paint on the shoulder.  I will try the warriors on while when finished but you might be right about the background colour.  Thanks again for the support.

Issue 2: After/Issue 3: Before

Sorry guys.  Unwell, hung over and a few other things to boot.  No fluff for now (will hit it later) but here are the complete Necron Warriors as well as the before for the Assault Intercessors.

A relatively newly encountered Dynasty the necrontyr of the Almwat Dynasty have been encountered all across the Imperium.  It is believed their former, before slumber, empire has had its many worlds scattered by the intervening millennia.  This, along with several other factors, Imperial scholars theorise may be the reason for the tomb worlds of the dynasties late awakening.  Regardless of circumstance or how and when they are encountered the dynasties warriors fight with all the merciless ruthlessness of their race.

Iximia was no tomb world, or at least it had never been discovered as such.  The planets surface was poxmarked with mine shafts but nothing had ever been discovered but the metals the miners hungrily sought for the Imperial war machine.  But something drew the Almwat here.  And whatever it was they had devoted no small manner of resources to claiming the world.

large.353102099_Issue2After.jpg.131dcf4c81a60d8ea2a6dbe5ff8b6079.jpg.e356c90577c8d4c0e15af36a24212e50.jpg

Being no stranger to deep striking combat, indeed such tactics being a specialty of the chapter, the scattered Warriors of the Interdictors stood firm in the face of their disastrous arrival.  Squads of marines either dug in at defensible positions or moved to rendezvous with other elements of the Chapter or Company Command.  Out gunned and out numbered they would not give up easily.

large.2058892447_AssaultIntercessorsx3.jpg.2000bd015bc4d12b6da516fc6d70f9d9.jpg.09e7547885973ed7092d7a553debe984.jpg

Leaving the Aggemmo on as I am going to attempt to make that into a symbol for the Interdictors.  Now, no more words.  Just rest.

Edited by Brother Argent

• 2 weeks later...

Issue 3: After

Sorry guys.  Its late at night on a work night but as these guys are a few days later I figured I had better get them up to show I haven't fallen off the proverbial horse yet.  No fluff at the moment (so much for my rules...) but I will endeavor to make up for it in the next week or so.  Maybe as I add in the next before post by the weeks end (again so much for week by week issues)

Anyway, without further adieu:

Assault Intercessors Squad Theophylias suffered heavy casualties during the ambush in the skies of Imimia,  Their transport not only shot down but blown apart as it fell the battle brothers that weren't slain in the crash were scattered across a large sector of Hive Gamonyr, one of the main cities on the planet.  Its wounded and disorganised brothers were unable to reach other Company units at first and so instead elected to fight a running war against the planets attackers.  By the time they finally returned to their Company the squad had been reduced to just three marines.  They would stay at this strength for much of the campaign, only being reinforced when reinforcements from the Chapter arrived.

large.1404389503_AssaultIntercessorsx3After.jpg.9f7bc4188872443efb21da001f350402.jpg.29fa28c5d72684e1ddf55ba5c4090027.jpg

So at this point I am not entirely keen on the Ultramarine symbol.  It was my intention to paint it differently/add a sword or spear through the centre but wasn't sure I could realistically pull it off.  I am considering custom decals fora different symbol entirely perhaps.   Still at least I got them based.  I am hoping at some point to get a grey weathering pigment to tie them to their base a little and perhaps look at sponge chipping on some battle damage.  The close ups have also shown a few bits I need to touch up.

Anyway, while I was doing these guys I also finally based the Lt:

large.549082689_LtBasedatlast.jpg.328f0dfa840fcdf5be3453dfbb46e3d7.jpg.efd7357bc6c6c4fdee9c51afdef3eba7.jpg

Learned a lesson on this basing technique too: be more selective on what sprue parts to use as rubble.

Anyway that's it for tonight for now.  Hope you guys enjoy.  Now to deal with the inspiration/mojo nightmare that I find scorpeks... Of course the warriors to come soon are probably going to be even worse.  Still there is the Captain after the destroyers so that's something to work towards.  I am really enjoying the orange scheme.

Edited by Brother Argent

Issue 4: Before

Can't seem to win on the health front sorry guys.  A migraine and a visiting Mother in Law (another migraine right there) have slowed progress and all but crushed my fluff ability.  Still a Sunday update is an update.  Here is my Destroyer before:

The arrival of the Astartes did not go unnoticed by the royal court of the Necrons.  As the Interdictors dug in and began to push back at the necrons the reality of the threat they posed, despite the apparent early defeat of their strike force, soon became a thorn in the invaders plan, a thorn that could not be allowed to fester.  Seeking a speedy defeat of the scattered marines the necron overlord decided to unleash the destroyer cults upon the world...

large.473150923_destroyers1.jpg.ef717efda03af5235be9e9b6742bb232.jpg.ca8da95fec69a6dc9bb381bf47b06b4a.jpg

Forgot to get pic before primer so they are just a black blur on the photos.  Still we have all seen these mojo nightmares before...

@Majkhel Thanks for your support still mate.  I am liking your suggestion on the symbol.  Maybe a cresent moon with a star above.  That I could paint.  Or a cresent moon with a speak into it.  I want a semi greek looking symbol and a crescent moon makes me think more middle eastern, which is actually cool in its own right.  Will need to think it over.  Thankfully the rest of the marines until you (if you) get Victrix Guard dont have the U on them.

Well, off to see what I can do with these nightmares and will hopefully start to actually catch up on fluff soon.  Just enjoying (for the most part) painting too much and life is keeping me fairly busy otherwise.

Edited by Brother Argent

Happy to be of service! :biggrin: And so sorry to hear you suffer from migraines! Those are real bit..es! I've only had the relative 'pleasure' of acquaintance twice in my life and hope I'll never have to experience them again. Hang on there!

Picking up on the crescent moon and greek-y looks - still doable imo :biggrin: The greek goddess Selene actually is being depicted has crescent moon on her brow. Another of her attributes is a torch, which might be an interesting addition from a heraldic point of view. Certainly less common than a star or spear (not that they are a bad choice as both are definitely easier easier to freehand).

Anyway looking forward to what you come up with! No pressure, obviously :thumbsup:

Issue 4: After

Well after adding snippets of fluff for the last few posts I am a little fluffed out...  Stand by here for fluff shortly...

But...

large.736562896_DestroyersAfter.jpg.8440d5864be7fcfba7e89ec201b0c076.jpg.a0f53beaa61cb55b9848f3a814f18c4e.jpg

As if hearing me lamenting painting them it seems the destroyers have decided to be a bugger to assemble as well.  Last time I did these guys they fit together easily and snugly.  This time I am left with horrible gaps and off kilter poses... Still, they are done and now its time to move on to the Captain....  I have been waiting for this.

• 2 weeks later...

So there is good new and bad news.  Good news is I have, other then his base, finished the Captain.  Bad news is, due to a series of unfortunate events, my (less then a couple of months old) phone is now in a billion unusable pieces and it was my way to take pictures of any sort of quality.  Perhaps most annoying is the circumstances on how the phone was destroyed.  I am an officer in the local volunteer fire brigade.  After an unusual call out where the brigade chief was required to give his number to our local police (deliberately torched shipping container full of furniture with a gun safe full of ammo and guns that had been stolen before said torching and I needed to enter to see if that was the case) and as he didn't know him mobile number he borrowed my phone to get the number to give police.  Upon returning it he sat in on the back of the fire truck beside me as I was getting out of my contaminated gear.  I then, in my infinite wisdom, managed to drive the truck back to our station after forgetting the phone was there.  While I did eventually locate it (it had actually managed to make it the half an hour drive through some very interesting roads through a forest to fall from the truck no more then about two minutes from the station) it had unfortunately been on the receiving end of the tyres of a fair bit of highway traffic.  And, because its a private phone, the fire service is unable and unwilling to replace it and it was a $1.5k new IPhone that I still have three years to pay off so I can't afford a new one.

So, long story short, I may be a bit quiet on the pic side of things for a bit.  Or if I do it will be with the PotatoPic 3000 phone that I have had to fall back on...  

Anyway, stay safe guys and thanks for all the support still.