Rewards of treachery question

Sgt.Sangha

Am I understanding this rule correctly? I can pick any legion specific unit from another legion and field it in my army? Does that include units mentioned in the exemplary battles? 

If that is true would there be any specific well rounded unit fellow alpha legionaires would choose to bring? 

Yes.

Depends how powerful you want the unit to be. Infiltrating Fulmentarus Terminators will erase a LOT of things wholesale. But, taking, say, Phalanx Warders outside of Stone Gauntlet might not be all too great

I've been thinking about this too and I think the answer is "it depends". There are so many options and possible roles to fill in the army.

That said, a strong unit of terminators is probably not a bad choice.

Anything that relies on its original Legiones Astartes (X) rule to function properly is a bad choice. You can mimic Thousand Sons squads, but won't be psychic.

4 hours ago, Cactus said:

You can mimic Thousand Sons squads, but won't be psychic.

Sekhmet and Osirons have the upgrade for psychic disciplines in their unit entry, so can be psykers, Khenetai are psykers with their own free power, the Osiron can also take a cult arcana. As the TS special units all ave psyker embedded into their unit type, they can all use Achean force weapons as normal. The LA:TS rule just gives psyker to core-book units that don't have it. 

I think the best units are ranged ones that can take advantage of the AL +2", so siege tyrants anf Fulmens, then iron havocs, I'm also looking at sunkillers. Others might be quite army specific, like Dynat or Alfy giving a melee unit scout. 

Personally I love destroyer type units, so I want to do a unit of the UM destroyers with melty bolters, maybe the death guard nasty flamer one? 

14 hours ago, Xenith said:

I think the best units are ranged ones that can take advantage of the AL +2", so siege tyrants anf Fulmens, then iron havocs, I'm also looking at sunkillers. Others might be quite army specific, like Dynat or Alfy giving a melee unit scout. 

Personally I love destroyer type units, so I want to do a unit of the UM destroyers with melty bolters, maybe the death guard nasty flamer one? 

I got really excited when I saw that Coils of the Hydra let you take 3 RoT units.  Being also a fan of Destroyer based units, I immediate thought UM Nemesis Destroyers, Interremptors, and either Grave Wardens or Angel's Tears. 

Then I got the big sad when I realized they had to be from the same legion...

Not only the same legion, but the same unit (as per RAW, in my opinion). Possibly not RAI but needs an FAQ

Angels Tears are the ones I'm eyeing up (being a BA player). You have to take 3 of the same unit, but the Tears have 3 different loadouts, so you can happily have squads with rad launchers, and another with ass cans. 

18 hours ago, Xenith said:

This is exactly what I plan to do - I’m just torn between the two.

The nemesis destroyers look great, and a steal for 165 pts for 10. The downside is I never have the patience to paint a squad of 10! And I only have bits right now for 5.

The poisoners are my second choice, but even after upgrades to Alchem Flamers (which I think should be allowed for all destroyers) they don’t seem such good value. And 20 points for the heavy flamer? 

I plan to play mostly Zone Mortalis so I feel a bit evil planning these squads (cue mwa-ha-ha).

but I haven’t bought the army list book yet - please confirm expanded units allowed!

Another idea was Ashen Circle - just to troll my son who plays Word Bearers and has been eyeing them up. Too difficult to model axe-rakes though.

Edited by LameBeard