The Forges of Mars: Mechanicum Tactia

Slips

16 hours ago, oldhat said:

Bummer all around. At this point I wanted stompy robots to beat face but I just don't see how to make it viable.

What are the thoughts on AV heavy lists instead? The Karacnos, Krios, and a Magaera LoW, with some basic units in transports. Probably tough to pull off with the heavy slot being slammed and an Allied detachment only providing one more slot.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its impossible or that you shouldn't do it, if you want run melee I'm only suggesting to support your melee units with disruptive shooting. Something close to 50/50 split might work,  but you might have to figure out what works best in your local meta too. Take a careful look at all the melee units and see if your local group wants to play with the panoptica community faq/rules, as mechanicum gets a much needed improvement and fixes.

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2022 at 10:08 AM, insidion said:

I agree that concussive can be lackluster without any negative modifiers to LD, luckily blind is an initiative test, although it's still a 1/3 chance of failing for most units but it is possible to force both at the same time. The problem to me is that both are tested only once at the end of the shooting phase, meaning spamming multiple sources doesn't add anything, and forcing a test is basically automatic once you hit(blind) or wound (concussive, even if it's saved or discounted). With pinning testing is done immediately after a unit is done with shooting, which does allow us to stack these three at the same time and keep shooting with pinning until a unit does fail an LD test.

I wanted to take on this challenge (Mech list with a combat flavour). It seems apparent that concussive/blind disruption is important. I also wanted to try to make a list that could have at least some sort of narrative coherence. 

after a bit of deliberation and research I settled on a theme of “Protector Kill-Clade” (Malagra) pulling some battlefield support, so no cybernetica and no Myrmidons. 

ARCHMAGOS PRIME (Ephemera Incursus, Malagra, WL with The Science of Slaughter)

Rad Grenades, Cyber Familiar, Power Fist, Paragon Blade, Incunabulan Jet Pack, Graviton gun, MC (Paragon Blade) [240]

MAGOS DOMINUS ON ABEYANT (Ephemera Incursus)

Augury Scanner, Cyber Familiar, Photon Gauntlet, Machinator Array, Graviton Gun [175]

COUNCIL OF EXECUTIONERS 

Arcuitor 1: Paragon Blade, Machinator Array, Data Spike [135]
Arcuitor 2: Machinator Array, Photon Thruster [155]
Arcuitor 3: Servo Arm, Data Spike [130]

TECH PRIEST AUXILIA (Interfector) [140]

Tech Priest 1: Magos Auxilia (Artificia Machina)

Tech Priest 2: 

Tech Priest 3:

6 Servo-Automata

TRIAROS CONVEYOR [135]

THALLAX COHORT (3)

Meltabombs [140]

THALLAX COHORT (3)

Meltabombs [140]

THALLAX COHORT (3)

Meltabombs [140]

THALLAX COHORT (3)

Meltabombs [140]

URSARAX COHORT (3)

Power Fists [190]

KRIOS SQUADRON (2)

Venator Tank Destoyers [300]

MOIRAX TALON (2)

Lightning locks x2 [420]

MOIRAX TALON (2)

Graviton Pulsar, Siege Claw [420]

NOTES

The ARCHMAGOS is an inexorable beast, but will be at risk of being tarpitted or ID’d by Dark Angels. Clocks out at WS5, S5,T5, I4 3+1A, 2+/3++, using either MC Paragon Blade or PFist against Dreads. First round of combat T4 opponents are down to T3, second round though we are going up to WS6/S6 native thanks to Science of Slaughter. More important though are the Non-fighty features: A) ephemera Incursus causes blind and crucially drops LD by -2 (!!!), conveniently improving the concussive results from the Grav Gun B) Jet pack allows this guy and his Thallax buddies a charge range (assuming no withdraw reaction) of 30” (12 move plus 6 jet move plus max 12 charge) which is really reliable for T1. 

MAGOS DOMINUS is redundancy for Ephemera Incursus but also a handy TEQ hunter with a surprising amount of AP2 available. I think of him as Danny DeVito in IASIP: He’s a suicide unit to run right into the middle of an enemy formation and start blasting 

EVERY UNIT is eligible to react, all 5 HQ choices are ICs, so Scornful fire applies if any of the HQs get shot on T1

TECH AUXILIA is v cute. If I am not going first I will scout that triaros to block LoS to my squishy Thallax for a turn, otherwise they run around being my scoring unit ignored whilst the assassins are ripping face.

URSARAX - suck but feel like a fluffy sacrifice unit to soak up overwatch or hunt down rapiers etc 

• 5 months later...

Hi All

Just had a couple of quick questions for the council of Archmagi, any help would be much appreciated!

Can an IC from a primary detachment join a squad from a Divisio Tactica detachment and embark on that squad's DT? And could they do it in a DT from a Mechanicum allied detachment in an army led by an Archimandrite? 

I've read the allies rules/table/divisio tactica a few times now - I know it says that even Battle Brothers can't embark on allied DTs, but what about if they are the same faction? Just wondering if my Magos or Arcuitor can ride with my Secutarii Peltasts in their Triaros.

Second, has anyone had any success with Tech-Priest Auxilia for anything other than cheap source of Line? I had this idea of using a full squad with 6 Servo-arms and 4 Multi-Meltas with full tech-priests maybe led by an Archmagos and/or Arcuitor as a punchy/flexible unit... Give them Lachrimallus (for FNP at T5) and maybe try to use a bit of cover... 

What do you think? Too expensive/ineffectual? Would they just be swept away by the first volley of bolter rounds? I'm wondering if all 10 with servo-arms would be better - even with their feeble WS the servitors still average 1 S8 AP2 hit each on the charge, plus the priests, plus the ICs... 

Any comments would be very helpful!

Cheers

T

Yeah Mechanicum is the only army that can take an allied detachment of more Mechanicum if the army is led by a particular type of Archmagos, and they also take other detachments (Divisio Tactica) that are Mechanicum as well… that’s why this is a bit confusing regarding level of alliance and how they interact with each other regarding DTs

Cheers

T

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, this thread has been dead for a while. And as someone who was very disappointed in how the game treated Mechanicum in 2ed (tho looking at at daemons,i guess count our blessings eh?) and then further disappointed with the book we got i understand some of the why.

But over the last month or 2 i made a point of getting games in. And manage to play a little over half a dozen. Mostly vs marines and militia.  And there are 1-2 things i am struggling to make my mind up on so hoping others might share their thoughts on the matter.

1) Warlord trait? I find both the generic and our own codex ones to be really underwhelming.  Which one are others going for and why? I just flip flop around at present.

2) Warlord, i am torn between going the cheap support hqs, and the 220+ point 'monster'.  I find neither is great, as the 'monster' will get flattened by the dedicated CC warlords out there, but on the other hand without him there is a clear lack of options for dealing with the medium range marine characters and small elite units in CC. 

3) While not in a cut throat competitive scene, people around here do play to win, they might not be WAAC players but no one is making purely lore themed lists either. I find the only real corner stones to make a list around are thanatars and myrmidons.  Every attempt to not field thanatars especially ( tho grav myrmidons are the only thing keeping the dreadnoughts honest) ends in total disaster.  Has anyone had success making at least semi competitive lists without these two? 

Edited by Nagashsnee

On 9/25/2023 at 4:47 AM, Nagashsnee said:

So, this thread has been dead for a while. And as someone who was very disappointed in how the game treated Mechanicum in 2ed (tho looking at at daemons,i guess count our blessings eh?) and then further disappointed with the book we got i understand some of the why.

But over the last month or 2 i made a point of getting games in. And manage to play a little over half a dozen. Mostly vs marines and militia.  And there are 1-2 things i am struggling to make my mind up on so hoping others might share their thoughts on the matter.

1) Warlord trait? I find both the generic and our own codex ones to be really underwhelming.  Which one are others going for and why? I just flip flop around at present.

2) Warlord, i am torn between going the cheap support hqs, and the 220+ point 'monster'.  I find neither is great, as the 'monster' will get flattened by the dedicated CC warlords out there, but on the other hand without him there is a clear lack of options for dealing with the medium range marine characters and small elite units in CC. 

3) While not in a cut throat competitive scene, people around here do play to win, they might not be WAAC players but no one is making purely lore themed lists either. I find the only real corner stones to make a list around are thanatars and myrmidons.  Every attempt to not field thanatars especially ( tho grav myrmidons are the only thing keeping the dreadnoughts honest) ends in total disaster.  Has anyone had success making at least semi competitive lists without these two? 

Agreed. Though Logic of Victory is my favorite if you have your cybernetica warlord babysitting a Paragon thanatar or such.  Basically acting as a "reactions battery" for the paragon. Can still repair him, and now as a bonus have him draw fire, have him return fire, waddle away (movement reaction), etc... while leaving a reaction in each phase for the rest of your army.  The bonuses to movement, BS, etc... in reactions for the warlords bodyguard unit (another thanatar for example) is fun too.

As fun as that is, things end up in melee (Where LoV is disabled) so for non-cybernetica mechanicum I'd say take stoic defender because, sadly, the best bang for buck is taking it for the multiple shooting phase reactions.  Evade (combined with smiths giving automata the ability to reaction for cybernetics players) is handy for multiple "return fire" and or an "evade" if the dreaded quad-las contemptor is shooting at one of the big toys.  The pinning can come in clutch when hopping over to join some unit with decent guns. Myrmidons and photon/plasma thallax come to mind.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

• 2 months later...

In theory, but only in theory, yes.  

I see where you're coming from, since the only units from the Taghmata list he's bringing along would be Castellax and Vorax ... which are fearless. 

But not really.

1.)  You could use his warlord trait ability on Armiger Squadrons with a unit size greater than one. But that would be horrendously costly, if not stupid, sacrificing a 200+ pts. model.

2.)  Easy answer:  Bring him, but DON'T make him the warlord.  :wink:  (Use your Seneschal for that.)