Your marine hot take/controversial opinion?

21 minutes ago, Lord_Ikka said:

I like the Firestrike Servo-turret. Sure, it dies quick and for some reason mine always rolls at least two 1s to Hit, but I like it.

Man I like them too, but not enough to get one just for rule of cool.

like if they had a rule that just made them extremely good at shooting, I probably would get one.

like each 5+ to hit results in another shot.

22 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Man I like them too, but not enough to get one just for rule of cool.

like if they had a rule that just made them extremely good at shooting, I probably would get one.

like each 5+ to hit results in another shot.

I bought one for a store grow-league I'm doing this month. On paper, the las-talon version should be pretty good, especially at low PL/points, because distance isn't such an issue and hitting on 2+ is pretty good. I just don't seem to have luck with it. 

Cor it is definitely a joke thread if it opens with Gravis being better looking than Terminators! :biggrin:

Fun opinion... I'd be happy if Tau were written out the game. :teehee:

Moving it back towards Marines... I'd like Firstborn to have their own Codex and even move towards a "loyal renegades" lore justification. If GW are concerned with IP enforcement, they can just call them Firstborn Marines, or something more imaginative relevant to their nature.

Edited by Captain Idaho

I like gravis, it’s a nice and logical evolution of heavy marine armour.

I don’t like the variation aggressors have, but do like the others.

I think Phobos is conceptually cool and logical, I even like the design. 

i don’t like over the top ornaments on space marines and used to hate having to split the contents of stuff like death company, blood angels tactical squad and the veteran kits to make them just a little less over the top and silly. Bladeguard push toward the upper limit of what I can cope with on all models

Edited by Blindhamster

Marines can't physically carry enough ammunition to be effective on the battlefield. Especially against Orks and Nids. This is for bolt weapons and other conventional weapons like Assault and Autocannons. 

I love Centurions and wished they'd expanded more on Warsuits and made other variants and Vet options. Maybe things like Fist and Hand unique variants, or Techmarine variants. 

I remain that Primaris doctrine, organization, and logistics is extremely underdeveloped and criminally overlooked by writers. I cannot believe they can function as GW intends them. 

Primaris not having drop pods right out the gate was huge mistake for a myriad of fluff and business reasons. 

Mentioned this in another thread, but more marine characters need to die, and definitely some be interred in Dreadnoughts, rather than getting the Primaris tune-up. We need new heroes badly to spice things up. But in no way should old models become unusable. Just different characters for different eras. I think of Red Scorpion CM Culln.  He at one point could be played as a Vanguard Sarge, a Chapter Master, then finally a Leviathan Dread. 

3 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

I think the game should move to d10s (not marine related), it would allow for more variation in stats and allow marines to standout from other factions due to the increased granularity potential

Completely agree here, but thought d12s would be even better.

2 hours ago, UnkyHamHam said:

Marines can't physically carry enough ammunition to be effective on the battlefield. Especially against Orks and Nids. This is for bolt weapons and other conventional weapons like Assault and Autocannons. 

I love Centurions and wished they'd expanded more on Warsuits and made other variants and Vet options. Maybe things like Fist and Hand unique variants, or Techmarine variants. 

I remain that Primaris doctrine, organization, and logistics is extremely underdeveloped and criminally overlooked by writers. I cannot believe they can function as GW intends them. 

Primaris not having drop pods right out the gate was huge mistake for a myriad of fluff and business reasons. 

Mentioned this in another thread, but more marine characters need to die, and definitely some be interred in Dreadnoughts, rather than getting the Primaris tune-up. We need new heroes badly to spice things up. But in no way should old models become unusable. Just different characters for different eras. I think of Red Scorpion CM Culln.  He at one point could be played as a Vanguard Sarge, a Chapter Master, then finally a Leviathan Dread. 

Ammo: YES! Bring back volkite.  Bolters used for specific enemies.  Slightly alleviated in the first book with the Primaris Marines where Inceptors grabbed ammo from a drop pod, but no where near enough.  

As someone who started with Salamanders and lost Chaplain Xavier, yeah many more Characters need to die.  Bring on some new heroes.

My additions:

Not so controversial:

Command Points being used during list building only, no more gotcha moments.

Chaplains, Librarians, and Apothecaries shouldn't need to be automatically upgraded to the Chapter Command version to be useful.  Generally speaking a few Chapters can get away without the upgrade.

More Controversial

Warlord traits that allow units to be moved around in force organization.  Maybe something like Can take a single unit of Vanguard Veterans as troops, and no other Vanguard Veterans

Warlord traits that change the way an army is played, I loved the fifth edition of Korsarro Khan allowing the army to outflank.  Note: I am talking generic Characters not necessarily named Characters. 

10 hours ago, UnkyHamHam said:

I was thinking of making some ammo-servitors (like mule drones) to carry reloads for my Primaris.

MK X armor shouldn't remain unadulterated in large quantities for very long in the Imperium Nihilus. The chapters out there will have to scavenge and repair their suits with whatever they can find, which would mean taking MK VI/VII/etc. parts to repair those suits. Similarly, they'd likely eschew the newer vehicles for the more stable (supply-wise) Rhinos, etc.

Conceptually, something like a new non-production MK V armor.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

2 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

MK X armor shouldn't remain unadulterated in large quantities for very long in the Imperium Nihilus. The chapters out there will have to scavenge and repair their suits with whatever they can find, which would mean taking MK VI/VII/etc. parts to repair those suits. Similarly, they'd likely eschew the newer vehicles for the more stable (supply-wise) Rhinos, etc.

Conceptually, something like a new non-production MK V armor.

Think we will start to see that anyway, there’s an element of It with Raven guard and black templars both having some bits that imply use of other mks at least partially.

a veteran kit would be an excellent place to show things like mkVI greaves or helms, mkVII style helms or similar. 

As it was meant to be a fun thread, let’s not get into primaris vs firstborn, posts saying firstborn should be phased out are unhelpful, calling out all primaris as a waste isn’t either. Posts like either just fan flames that don’t need to be fanned

Edited by Blindhamster

Let's just all agree Xenos need to be purged on sight and we can move on!

Though a part of me wants my Firstborn to be passed out just so I can say "I told you so, Blindhamster!"

I kid. I think.

Edited by Captain Idaho

2 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

As it was meant to be a fun thread, let’s not get into primaris vs firstborn, posts saying firstborn should be phased out are unhelpful, calling out all primaris as a waste isn’t either. Posts like either just fan flames that don’t need to be fanned

I said wasted opportunity.  This was a chance for all new armor variants and for them to do interesting things with it.  The first primaris kit to catch my eye in any way were eliminators and aggressors are so lukewarmly received there are two posts saying it is a hot take to like them.  Primaris were a shot at a fresh slate to do cool and interesting marine kits that they could not do before and instead there is a core of kits like intercessors that are just slightly off tacticals so they don't add much if anything.  Slightly dorky kits like several gravis kits such as aggressors and most of the phobos kits.  There is clearly potential there for reivers to have really been something, people will tear the kit apart from some choice bits out of it for characters.  Multiple outright questionable designs with the Invader ATV being the poster child of asking what GW was doing with some of this stuff.  For a chance to do anything marine with primaris the good kits like Bladeguard Veterans are much too far apart.

I do not think my questioning the design philosophy of some kits is equivalent to other users calling for the obsolescence of entire collections.

Edited by DesuVult

Hmmm, if we're after "Hot Takes" then in my opinion the old Marine line should be moved to Legends in it's entirety, with only a few select vehicle units remaining for use in the Horus Heresy.

Of course the various characters associated with each chapter should receive Primaris upgrades, and the gaps in the Primaris line (eg: jump packs) need to be filled.

The Horus Heresy range and the associated models are all pretty spectacular, and by all accounts 30k is reaching new heights of popularity. Alongside this, the Primaris line in 40k is a bold new take on the Astartes themes, refined in design and not restrained by dogmatic lore.

40k belongs to Primaris and a new future

30k belongs to the Old Legions of myth and legend

Given that they now let you make a Chapter command with the current Codex, I was surprised they didn't explore doing stuff like that in a White Dwarf campaign or something like that. Thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity their rules had opened up.