Intercession Squad Discussion

Lysimachus

I think (personally) that a shooty list for regular kill team is the way to go. However INTO the Dark (I know you weren't talking about this) is different and this is where I think mostly melee will shine. 

I am opting for shooty -1 for assault intercessor. Might be a waste but he's the protector. you get close to me and I will chop you down. He's my +1 into fights. I don't have to play him like that all the time but depending on the mission I think it works.

I am waiting to hear more from Beeranid40k as he's playing a shooty list. Wondering how he is fairing with it.

Returning from the Warhammer Store again to confirm the regular Bolt Rifle Intercessors player truly doubled-down with Shooty Chapter Tactics, and...

On 9/17/2022 at 9:27 PM, INKS said:

However INTO the Dark (I know you weren't talking about this) is different and this is where I think mostly melee will shine.

...to confirm your point, yesterday, even as that player won, he volunteered his take, "I'll probably change my team going Into the Dark."

It was literally a case of the Warhammer Store Manager, universally well-liked guy, hasn't gotten around to painting all that terrain yet, and we didn't want to rush him.  Once he does, the meta will change, and that actually works more in the Intercession Team's favour, I think.

Here's the situation with an Into the Dark scenario.  It looks like the Intercession Team's not the best at shooting (the Firstborn Team's got Heavy Weapons, for example, Grey Knights got Storm Bolters) nor the best at assault (Custodes, Tyranid Warriors, Harlequins, etc.)  nor the best at survivability (Death Guard).  But they might hit this sweet spot where combat, survivability, speed, APL and model numbers, so they can take and hold objectives better.

This is just a working theory, but I suspect Assault Intercessors might find themselves as a top take-all-comers and take-objectives team.

Agreed that shooting seems the way to go unless you're playing Into the Dark (but I'd almost always take the Assault Intercessor grenadier since he is multi-role at that point).

As for the auspex, it's just one of those things where modelling it is of no real cost to you (you hang it off a belt or something) since it will always go on a second-stringer (maybe even a third-stringer?), so you might as well.

16 hours ago, INKS said:

All good points. Who do you think is the fairest or most evenly matched Team verse Intercessors. For home games I need two teams. I have my Intercessors but need to work on Team 2 and have no idea who it should be.

I suppose the easiest way to balance might be another 6-man PA team? Similar stats and weapons, but different Specilaists/Faction rules to make it interesting? Maybe a Chaos team of some sort?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 12:00 AM, INKS said:

I guess maybe I should ask who best to pit them against for a home game. 

I do have or will have 2 PA teams though. lol

Sorry for late reply, but it's something I was thinking about, asked others to weigh in.  Our thought is pretty simple.  Do another Marine team (Marines-specifically, not Sororitas apparently).  Reason is, with 3+ Save and 3 APL, it's forgiving.  It sounds like you already have.

I reckon you ask to have a 2nd team to introduce Kill Team to your friends, at your place.  You'd loan them the other team, show them a good time, teach them the game.  Aside from a decent enough 3+ save, you got 3 APL.  For a new player, they accept their guys dying, their side losing, but they want to do stuff.  If they see you doing 3 actions while they can only do 2, they feel like they're being handicapped, especially in a time when they want to learn and be able to make mistakes.

That was the general feedback I got and it sounds right.  They'll learn by imitating you, so I'm thinking you play Intercessors, they play Chaos Marines, etc.  And of those, I'd probably go with Death Guard, because although slow, they can do stuff, and are really tough with Feel No Pain to give room for a new player to make mistakes without them getting wiped out.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah the idea is first to get my Wife to play with me. I do have or will have 2 Intercessor teams. I get all the reasonings. But I also wanted a second or third team that is different to show off some of the other things that can be done in the game. Having a mirror team makes a lot of sense but it does lack diversity, which I would like to show as well. 

I've considered legionaries, I will also have custodes soon. But Death Guard also sounds fun. I might have them play intercessors, because they are straight forward and easier to learn. I'll learn and play the other team and hopefully show off some of what else the game has in store.

• 4 months later...