Starting in Service of the Warmaster

Hi all,

For anyone who’s been reading my Imperial Fists thread will know I’ve finally taken the Heresy plunge after years of contemplating it to various degrees. The abundance of plastic kits, particularly the larger vehicles and Dreadnoughts, has finally persuaded me to get amongst it. As someone who likes to be able to run intro games for prospective gamers, I’ve usually taken the approach of building two armies at once. As with my Fists, I’ve long loved the Sons of Horus, so it was a pleasant surprise to find my two legions were going to be the poster boys of the new edition, and I’d get loads of extra transfers!

So, without further ado, here’s the first unit I’m going to share, a humble tactical squad, complete with a smattering of gloriously ridiculous chain bayonets!

C3RKcoQ.jpg

ZvTQxkJ.jpg

I’ve deliberately gone for a mix of armour plates in the unit. I like the idea of gradual replacement and repair over time, rather than an army wholly equipped at the same time. Maybe another project…

I’ve finished my first 1000 points, but rather than spam the page with loads of photos at once, I’ll share them out over the next week or two.

Thanks for reading!

40 minutes ago, Pearson73 said:

That's a lovely green, digging the colour of the spikes and head plates too.

Thanks! The green I adapted from Duncan Rhodes’ recipe in WD many moons ago, that I marked for future reference! It’s actually quite quick, Mechanicus Standard Grey basecoat, drybrush Dawnstone, very light drybrush Ulthuan Grey, then a couple of coats of Biel-Tann Green wash. The battle damage is Rhinox Hide, which I highlight, along with choice bits of armour, with Sons of Horus Green mixed with Ulthuan Grey.

1 hour ago, General Zodd said:

Thanks! The green I adapted from Duncan Rhodes’ recipe in WD many moons ago, that I marked for future reference! It’s actually quite quick, Mechanicus Standard Grey basecoat, drybrush Dawnstone, very light drybrush Ulthuan Grey, then a couple of coats of Biel-Tann Green wash. The battle damage is Rhinox Hide, which I highlight, along with choice bits of armour, with Sons of Horus Green mixed with Ulthuan Grey.

That's really similar to my old SoH green, except I used Coelia Greenshade instead. I wonder if I got the recipe from the same place.

6 hours ago, Beerhammer said:

Are you going for a full company with some 1st company sprinkled in or just a full optimal army?

That’s more thought than I’ve given it, I’ll be honest! I’ve been picking up things that felt right for SoH, or just things I fancied painting. Hopefully a theme will emerge over time! If an optimised army emerges it will be almost entirely by accident…

Here’s my Cataphractii squad, I also intend to do some Justaerin, because why would I not, but these are from the starter box, so thought I should use some up!

gyIl2an.jpg

Lj1JPqx.jpg

Although, this guy got a Carsoran axe from the Justaerin weapons kit which I ordered without the bodies because it was actually in stock!

dnkOvoO.jpg

Plus I have shared this guy before on here, I think, but I painted up the Calth terminator character before the starter box landed, so thought I’d include him here, too!

OZwCmUl.jpg

1VA2Exm.jpg

Really lovely force! As always, great painting! Also that decal on the cape looks amazing, it does not look at all like a decal in the picture, getting it to look so good over all those folds seems difficult.

If you are alright with 3rd party models, Tortuga Bay miniatures makes 3rd Party Justerian as well, they are a bit big though. 

On 8/26/2022 at 6:42 AM, General Zodd said:

Here’s my Cataphractii squad, I also intend to do some Justaerin, because why would I not, but these are from the starter box, so thought I should use some up!

gyIl2an.jpg

Lj1JPqx.jpg

Although, this guy got a Carsoran axe from the Justaerin weapons kit which I ordered without the bodies because it was actually in stock!

dnkOvoO.jpg

Plus I have shared this guy before on here, I think, but I painted up the Calth terminator character before the starter box landed, so thought I’d include him here, too!

OZwCmUl.jpg

1VA2Exm.jpg

Wow, just wow! 

On 8/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, Marshall Mittens said:

Really lovely force! As always, great painting! Also that decal on the cape looks amazing, it does not look at all like a decal in the picture, getting it to look so good over all those folds seems difficult.

If you are alright with 3rd party models, Tortuga Bay miniatures makes 3rd Party Justerian as well, they are a bit big though. 

Hey Marshall, thanks!

The transfer was applied using the witchcraft that is Microset and Microsol, I cannot recommend these enough. Using gloss varnish, then Microset/sol, then matte varnish has revolutionised my use of transfers!

As for the Justaerin, tempting as it is to have Abaddon’s special boys all super chonky, I managed to get the torsos from FW, so they’ve joined my ever-growing queue… Thanks for the suggestion, though!

1 hour ago, Altis said:

I've never used microset/sol ( never even heard of it) 

Well worth it then?

Absolutely! There’s plenty of tutorials on YouTube for how to get the most out of it, the other thing I’d suggest is cotton buds (I think they’re called Q-tips in the US?), Tamiya make some good quality ones but regular will do in a pinch, for smoothing out transfers and removing excess solvent.

Edited by General Zodd

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a couple of individual models finished. First up, my apothecary, which I’m not overly happy with, but at least he’s done!

eNM8c5B.jpg

And Maloghurst the Twisted, who I’m much happier with, hence more photos! Not sure how good he is in the game, but I couldn’t resist that model…

DtyRbky.jpg

9Tqwz5r.jpg

8RCAqMi.jpg

GmMYk8i.jpg