Starting in Service of the Warmaster

• 5 weeks later...

Back to the SoH after putting some time into my Imperial Fists, I decided my Reaver Attack squad needed to be beefed up a bit, in both numbers and equipment! I know they’re technically supposed to be just black and red, but I wanted to have a graduation of colours, incorporating the traditional green as well, to help tie the force together more.

3nJqZO8.jpg

Here’s the new equipment, some Lightning Claws from the Chaos Raptor set, I’ve not gone overboard with 40k chaos bits, but decided the aesthetic for the Reavers lent themselves to it, as well as the ‘counts as’ Vexilla trophy pole.

Ded30wf.jpg

And here’s the whole ten-strong unit.

pzpxqFi.jpg

• 3 months later...

Woah! Over three months have passed since I’ve painted one of the Warmaster’s own! In my defence, I’ve moved house and painted up a bunch of the new Boarding Action scenery for use in ZM games in the meantime.

However, I had a ZM game arranged with a friend who has a beautifully painted Solar Aux and Raven Guard force tonight, so thought I should get some Justaerin finished to show the rank and file how to take someone else’s ship.

OZVdm61.jpg

sEiRGV0.jpg

WbbUWvd.jpg

Unlike my Reavers (who have the odd panel in trad sea-green) I decided to paint them pretty much as Abaddon intended, though I like highlighting my black to look like very very very dark green. Swapped a Thunder Hammer in on one and added a Grenade Harness, but otherwise they’re straight up built from the Justaerin kit.

15 hours ago, Pearson73 said:

Those Justaerin are beautiful, the green highlights are a really nice touch. Good luck in the game, would be great to see some photos!

Thanks Pearson! Your wish is my command;

8hoZKT4.jpg
Justaerin and Centurion advance down the central corridor, trusting to their Cataphracti plate to protect them.

BDEG2N2.jpg
Straight into the waiting Solar Auxilia gun line. Thankfully, the Cthonians’ trust in their wargear was well placed!

3E8z7np.jpg
The Warmaster’s chosen turning a SA unit into a fine red mist. They killed another unit after this before the Raven Guard Deliverers halted their advance with a jolt. Forgot to get a photo of those boys, but jeez, they are *tough*. They killed my entire unit and Centurion and still had two models left at the end of it!

5YItXTp.jpg
Meanwhile on my right flank, a tactical squad was busy claiming an objective and fending off a Breacher unit when the Reavers turned up to give them a hand.

psKKsmd.jpg
Left flank saw my other tactical squad tussling with some more SA for the second objective. You can just see the Raven Guard Legion Champion in the background, and a large void where my Meltagun support squad had previously been…

jkvxwDt.jpg
Back on the right flank and my Reavers were heading into the squishier back line units, trying to hunt down a Solar Auxilia marshal who had sensibly decided to stay in his office checking the paperwork while the boarding action was ongoing.

Thats the best of the photos, hope you enjoy!

Buoyed by getting a game in finally, I knocked out a quick Rapier for my Sons, thought I needed to start building up the anti-tank before I get too much bigger!

kBidWkN.jpg

This kit comes with the Mk III, and I prefer Mk III on my Imperial Fists, so I bought a Frag Launcher for the Fists and swapped the crew over. Nice little model to paint, and nice and quick!

• 1 month later...

Hello again! Been a little while, but I’ve been modelling and converting bits ready for the next push. I’m building towards a Black Reaving force which, from where my collection was, required two things. At least one Fast Attack choice, and a Master of Signals. So, the first of those is done, with the completion of a couple of Javelin Speeders!

lqSqdGQ.jpg

I made one of them the squadron leader (not that that means anything in game!), so he got a funkier paint scheme and a signature top knot.

YeuTqgQ.jpg

Frontal view of the other guy.

K6xqz49.jpg

…and of the boss.

6KzjErQ.jpg

Now to paint up that Master of Signals and give the RoW a run out to see how well it works!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I got my Master of Signals finished to enable use of the Black Reaving RoW and a Librarian both finished about a week or so ago and forgot to post them! Here you go;

AJ0dTPn.jpg

Got to love the new Spartan/LR sprue for all the funky technical gubbins it includes!

Dt1kzKp.jpg

Racing towards my 3k target now with a big chunk of points sitting in my first two Dreadnoughts for the Sons;

lV7kjgi.jpg

I’ve got one set of each ranged weapon, plus the extra sprue of close combat weapons so they can both go claw/drill if I want;

lG1NjV9.jpg

I’ve also got the volkites and heavy flamers magnetised, though I suspect the volkites will get much more play;

jDiybYz.jpg

Following hot on the heels of the Leviathans, I’ve painted up four more Justaerin to add to my squad. The fifth one in the set is waiting for a suitable banner so I can make them into a Command Squad when I choose to.

hq9kCRX.jpg

The original squad is mostly the standard axes, so these are a couple of Thunder Hammers and Lightning Claws to spice things up a bit.

And with these guys, that’s my 3k force completed! I’m going to an event next weekend where I was planning to take my Imperial Fists, but the organiser was looking for another Traitor, so I said I’d swap. Picture of the whole army will be forthcoming after the event!

As promised, here’s a pic of the whole 3k army that I started alongside my Imperial Fists back in May last year. Quite pleased with getting two 3k armies painted in just under 12 months!

a8q1k0W.jpg

Plus, I even managed to finish up my Spartan as well, though it didn’t see battle as I wasn’t sure I’d get it finished when I submitted my army list;

u4xDxo2.jpg

Irritatingly, the magnetised front Lascannons were misaligned, but they do fit okay with a bit of wobbling, I just didn’t notice! I might have to make a spacer to glue between them to keep them pointed in the same direction…

E9xCaDX.jpg

And here’s the family shoot with my whole painted collection;

2CMzdDN.jpg

Now, I’m contemplating converting up some Chieftains, or I may reward myself with big daddy Horus himself! Decisions, decisions…

4 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

An amazing looking force! Must be very proud having them all assembled together like that.

I would say after doing those you definitely deserve a reward of some sort, either with Horus or something else! :)

Thanks Pacific! I’ve got a couple of tanks on the go for my Fists, then I’ve got Horus (the original one, rather than swole Horus) built and undercoated to do next!

• 4 weeks later...

It’s taken me a few weeks, but I’ve finally finished Big Daddy H himself!

yqMJDnA.jpg

Here he is off his tactical staircase, just relying on his tactical statue;

30AudtR.jpg

Doing a swirl of his cloak for you all;

4xKVFph.jpg

…and in for the close up!

TNjorKv.jpg

Next up, I think I’ll be doing his white-haired bro for my Fists, but after that I shall return to the Vengeful Spirit for some Reaver Aggressors with jump packs!