Missing Rules - What do you expect from future supplements?

Eternal Despair already mentioned it, but properly done ZM rules are needed. I said this back in 1.0- IMO one of the biggest misses is not rolling ZM into the core rulebook.

On 10/6/2022 at 1:50 AM, SlickSamos said:

They released the updated Zone Mortalis rules in White Dwarf 477 - hopefully we'll get a pdf of them eventually?  If you want an overview of the updated rules, I enjoyed the Goonhammer review with battle report (link) & overview with gameplay by Ash at GMG (link).

My group plays dominantly ZM and I spent last weekend transcribing those WD ZM rules. As written, they're a step down in balance and quality compared to the originals. Those also had problems, but didn't require a hot fix out the gate. The skeleton for something bigger is in there, but for now the WD is just a stopgap.

3 hours ago, Noserenda said:

The Aquilla was perfectly common in the heresy era too, im sure the great crusade was stamping it everywhere :D 

But not the 40k version. The Palantine Aquila looks a bit different. It would be nice to get a couple dedicated sets for 30k either way, just for variety.

1 hour ago, oldhat said:

But not the 40k version. The Palantine Aquila looks a bit different. It would be nice to get a couple dedicated sets for 30k either way, just for variety.

Yeah the Palatine Aquilla is the proscribed one :)  Variety is definitely good but the available stuff is perfectly fine STC work with appropriate detailing to work just fine.

GW confirmed in WD's that we'll be getting an updated supplement for both Zone Mortalis and Multiplayer games - the single missions and get you by rules from those respective issues are a sample.

We'll also get more narrative type missions to do with specific units, like the Land Raider one. 

10 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Yeah the Palatine Aquilla is the proscribed one :)  Variety is definitely good but the available stuff is perfectly fine STC work with appropriate detailing to work just fine.

The "40k" Aquila is present in 30k it represents the unification of mars and terra it's missing things like the eye etc which were later additions this is mentioned in false gods the Palantine was a separate one 

As above, the Aquilla as seen on marine chests and stamped on stuff was definitely around in 30k. The Palatine Aquilla, the Emperor's own sigil, is the more detailed Aquilla with legs +/- lightning bolts and was awarded to the Emperor's children as a legion to be able to display freely. Other individuals/warhosts may have been awarded it at other times, however the EC were given free use of it. 

15 hours ago, Noserenda said:

The available stuff feels too 40k for me. I'd love something with a bit more grandeur or just variety. Especially if they were very thematic an had optional rules for narrative missions.

7 hours ago, Xenith said:

GW confirmed in WD's that we'll be getting an updated supplement for both Zone Mortalis and Multiplayer games - the single missions and get you by rules from those respective issues are a sample.

We'll also get more narrative type missions to do with specific units, like the Land Raider one. 

FW had also said the old ZM rules would get expanded with supplements over time... back in 1st edition. Still waiting!

5 hours ago, sarabando said:

rules wise the biggest thing i want is just better quality. Like im happy with the legacy units being legacy units i just wish they were written properly. 

They are legacy units because they want you to buy something else. Do you genuinely think the massive overcosting and limited capabilities were actually mistakes? 

They don’t want you to be dominating the game with the bane sword/hammer/blade you bought ten years ago,  or the random character you bought an stl for last mont. they want you to be using the things they actually sell… 

I’m hoping that thematic campaign books, a la Necromunda, are the way forward. Build new rules, units for a range of factions around a theme. 

I’m also intrigued to see how the core / expanded rules and official models / no models divide plays out. The Sisters of Silence and Solar Aux lists are the first in Heresy 2.0 to feature extensive units that can’t be easily converted or, like the SoS jet bikes, have absolutely no models or potential proxy. Based on what GW has done so far, this should mean that we get a good chunk of new kits / upgrades for both factions soon…

6 hours ago, sarabando said:

rules wise the biggest thing i want is just better quality. Like im happy with the legacy units being legacy units i just wish they were written properly. 

This but also the army book units!  How much does a Lascannon or Multi-Melta cost?  Games Workshop sure doesn't :biggrin::blink:

I think there is definitely some incompetence among the malicious compliance in those rules though, look at the attack bikes :( 

And these are typically models they still sell, inspired by Zorpazorp i was planning to add a shadowsword to my Sons army, but now its crap and im not forking out £200 for a bloody glaive, so i spent that money on Mandalorians and lost a significant amount of keen for the army project as now it lacks a big centrepiece. Which then meant when the land raiders i wanted came out i bought some second hand minis instead. 

Now i may not be typical but thats not a small loss because of these deliberately bad rules.

12 hours ago, ShadowCaptainMcCaffery said:

There are a whole heap of interesting characters within the novels, and I would love rules for some of them.

Give us rules for Marius Vairosean, Nykona Sharrowkyn, Aeonid Thiel or Nassir Amit.

Obviously I haven't read enough because I don't know any of these names apart from that horrible Raven Guard Mary Sue. 

7 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

Obviously I haven't read enough because I don't know any of these names apart from that horrible Raven Guard Mary Sue. 

Marius Vairosean is the first Noise Marine.

Aeonid Thiel is an Ultramarine who is Censured (the Ultramarines with the red helmets, who have done something that needs penance), who does some interesting things during the defense of Calth.

Nassir Amit is the Captain of the Blood Angels 5th Company - he is nicknamed the Flesh Tearer by the World Eaters.

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptainMcCaffery said:

Marius Vairosean is the first Noise Marine.

Aeonid Thiel is an Ultramarine who is Censured (the Ultramarines with the red helmets, who have done something that needs penance), who does some interesting things during the defense of Calth.

Nassir Amit is the Captain of the Blood Angels 5th Company - he is nicknamed the Flesh Tearer by the World Eaters.

Ahhhhhhh :thanks:

Turns out I knew two more but just not their names.

On 12/4/2022 at 1:26 AM, ShadowCaptainMcCaffery said:

There are a whole heap of interesting characters within the novels, and I would love rules for some of them.

Give us rules for Marius Vairosean, Nykona Sharrowkyn, Aeonid Thiel or Nassir Amit.

Would absolutely love to see Amit, also Dantioch and and Fabius would be awesome

On 12/4/2022 at 12:26 AM, ShadowCaptainMcCaffery said:

Would this lead to a game that is populated entirely by this season's crop of Mary Sues though?

None of the above are really any better than a Praetor in terms of in-game stats. If you end up reflecting everything they can do in terms of rules, they become SUPER good and suddenly every army of Raven Guard that ever existed in now led by Sharrowkyn... 

15 hours ago, HeinzD said:

Would absolutely love to see Amit, also Dantioch and and Fabius would be awesome

I have converted a model to be Amit to lead my new Blood Angels 5th Company force.

And while he might not have official rules from GW, there is a set of fan-made rules for him and a load of other characters and units that are missing.

I guess it really depends. I love having my own Praetor that isn't named because he represents me as the leader of my army.

Being able to kitbash named characters and use their rules but make the character your own persona has always been a big draw for me since I started WHFB back in the late 1990s early 2000s.

I do feel like missing rules and missing models are easily enveloped into one thread. There are many armies that simply don't interest me. I would rather just play Knights and Astartes/custodes for 30k. Maaaaybe Daemons. But there's not really a whole lot that I'm missing from the game.

Though I do enjoy the idea of narrative rules and better supplements going forward.