Slave does Word Bearers, again, again, again...

After a year and a bit of painting Guardsmen and starting not Squats (Wargames Atlantics Einherjar) for games of 1st ed I thought Id return to my one true love Chaos (not Kebabs, but they are a close second). After a bit of head scratching on what to do and all the retro feels bouncing about currently due to the 35 years of 40k I started thinking back to the glory days of my younger years and my first proper Chaos army (not including the mish mash of stuff I had from RoC). The army in question was inspired by this John Blanche army in the 2nd ed codex, but back then my idea of painting was literally throw paint at the mini and hope it looks ok, so it looked nothing like what I was trynna achieve.

image.jpeg.b27ecf78123a69bce5e602e19c7e2a85.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a48476097792eded25bed9cd9d0ad30c.jpeg

Now at least I understand shading and blending (even though I still throw paint at the minis) so I thought Id have another pop at trying to replicate (shamelessly copy) this army. I have even picked up a Mephiston and Vet Sgt Centurius for this project, and Im currently eyeing some Asmodais on ebay for the Icon Bearer (still trynna find the old Verminlord for the right price though).

There are some other influences Ill be 'borrowing' ideas from, some are other Blanche minis shown in WD 150 and Fred Marcarini's minis (painted by some chap called Lorenzo) in WD199.

Blanches stuff. 

image.jpeg.00972310f9c32efa90b759b3f3b0b4b8.jpeg

Freds.

image.jpeg.22e183fa37d0f028cd5ab7a42fb00783.jpegimage.jpeg.df8f5e76c57e0bfe69840c3a590269b8.jpegimage.jpeg.47a9459241767ae4cba32150f3901298.jpeg

As they are all Khorne marines I think that has dictated what God Ill be following this time around, but I dont want to be locked into World Eaters, so I have decided to combine them with younger me's other interest of Occultism, Demonology and the Esoteric (I used to play Dark Angels and the fact they named the characters after Demons amused me, clearly Traitors). So it looks like Khornate Word Bearers or a renegade chapter that used to have worryingly close ties to the Ecclesiarchy before they fell.

I dont really have much in the way of 'lore' for these yet, and I dont remember what I wrote all those years ago other than they were super edgy and called themselves 'The Damned' (I went through a bit of a dodgy Goth phase before I discovered Black Metal) so I get the fun part of starting from scratch (name will be changed as well) so I guess its time for me to dig out all my old books that would have gotten my door kicked in my Matthew Hopkins back in the day and start bashing ideas together into some form of background. 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Cheers guys, I just hope It turns out half as good as what I see in my head.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Looks like a super cool hobby project! Probably suggest keeping to the CSM dex as World Eaters will be getting a new one down the line, plus CSM codex keeps your options nice and wide. 

Yeah I wasnt happy when Deathguard dex dropped and most of my army became useless, I ended up selling it out of frustration. I feel less restricted with the vanilla CSM lists. 

I love the concept of Khorne aligned Word Bearers / Renegades. I will definitely be following this topic and cheering you on to dark glory. I'm very biased though, because I have been churning out lore and a paint scheme for my Nugle aligned Renegades/ Word Bearers and I am also leaning heavy into occultism and numerology in my theme.

As a chronic hobby procrastinator (or just a very busy person) I have been having trouble getting motivated to actually put paint to model. Your post has inspired me. Maybe our occult forces can be allies, at least in the sense that we can inspire one another to trudge on for the glory of the Dark Gods.

Yeah I dont mind trynna inspire others to put paint on minis, I could do with the motivation myself actually before I get sidetracked by something else like I always do. You got a thread for your Nurgle Bearers? Until a few years ago Nurgle/Deathguard was my main army since 1st ed and I have a soft spot for god aligned Word Bearers. 

Just snagged a cheap armless Abaddon off ebay for the Chaos Lord conversion and I have started chopping into Mephiston today, nothing much to show yet though. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2022 at 9:44 AM, Xenith said:

I remember that old snakehead melta guy from I think the 3rd ed codex? Back before they actually had many chaos models. 

Will keep an eye on this one, love some retro goodness. The new plastic Bloodletters should be ripe for some chopping up! 

Yeah I think he was in the 3rd ed dex, I think it had the picture of the predator done up to look like its made of flesh with deep cuts in it if memory serves me well. I was thinking of the new Bloodletters but my inner manchild wants the RoC era ones, last time I saw those on ebay they were eye wateringly expensive. 

If you like retro themed stuff you may like what Im doing for my games of 1st edition. 

2022-12-17 21.27.00.jpg