My group is running a mini tournament and I'm on the fence about joining. 

Possible players:

1. GK/Tau/Harlequins
  2. SoB/Necrons
  3. Nids/DG/LoV
  4. BA (me)

the organiser has GSC/Emperor's Spears and is on the bench. As you can see, they kinda want me to attend...

Tournament outline is as follows:

Play will take place over one day. Missions will be set as below. Opponents will be drawn randomly and the winner of each table will play each other in game two. Also the loser of each table will play each other in game two. This will give each player an equal chance at stealing the prize at the end of the day.

There will be no bonus points for fully painted armies. This is a game of tacticians and will be judged accordingly. However, there is a bonus prize for best painted army. This will be judged by vote.

No super heavies allowed. Units should be below 300 points each.

Mission 1: the scouring from Nephilim GT book page 86. Both tables will play this mission as their 1st game. Note: in order to claim objectives an action must be completed.

Mission 2: tide of conviction from Nephilim GT book page 88. Both tables will play this mission as their 2nd game. Note: in order to gain cp you must control objective in your own deployment zone.

Secondaries Must be taken from the Nephilim book and cannot be changed between games so choose carefully.

Games will be limited to 4 hours play for each with an hour break in between for refreshments.

Lists must be submitted two weeks before the day and cannot be changed after that date. Lists cannot be altered in between games with the exception of using stratagems to do so such as the assassins.

So, there's some interesting stuff in there, but the missions sound weird. Imagine they will change going forward (especially mission 1...) 

Edited by Jolemai

My two standing lists at 2k aren't powerful enough for higher end gaming, so I'm considering trying something a bit different:

Blood Angels Battalion Detachment

Callidus Assassin

:HQ:

Dante

Warlord

Astorath

Sanguinary Priest

~ Jump pack, Chief Apothecary

Selfless Healer, Armour Indomitus

:Troops:

Tactical Squad (10)

~ Combi-plasma, chainsword

~ Plasma gun

~ Plasma cannon

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Combi-grav, chainsword

~ Grav gun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Combi-melta, chainsword

~ Meltagun

:Elite:

Sanguinary Ancient

Wrath of Baal

Sanguinary Guard (4)

~ Angelus boltgun, power fist (3)

~ Angelus boltgun, encarmine axe (1)

Sanguinary Guard (4)

~ Inferno pistol, encarmine sword (1)

~ Angelus boltgun, encarmine sword (2)

Death Company (5)

~ Thunderhammer (3)

~ Bolt pistol, power fist (1)

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword (1)

Scouts (5)

~ Boltgun, chainsword

~ Boltgun (3)

~ Bolt pistol, combat blade (1)

:FA:

Attack Bikes (3)

~ Multi-melta (3)

Land Speeder Typhoon

~ Heavy bolter

:HS:

Whirlwind

~ Castellan

Musings

• 4 CP to play with
  • Secondaries are Relentless Assault, Blade of Sanguinius (using Astorath), RND
  • Scouts and a combat squad of Tacticals off the board for later RA & RND fun
  • Everything else is what I have and is fairly straightforward...

Used this against a Tau list last night:

• Cadre Fireblade
  • Coldstar suit
  • Enforcer suit
  • 1x Kroot
  • 2x Strike
  • 1x Breacher (Devilfish)
  • Sun Shark
  • 1x Broadside
  • 2x Steath Suits
  • 1x Firesight
  • 1x Drones
  • 2x Crisis Suits

Did a random mission instead and Secure Missing Artefacts came up. Tau secondaries were No Prisoners, Decisive Action, and ATR. I went second...

Highlights included an SG unit using Unbridled Ardour to instagib the Flyer, Astorath decking the Cadre Fireblade for Blade of Sanguinius points, a Tactical Squad successfully using Cut Them Down to remove the final wound from the Coldstar suit before it could do Fall Back shenanigans, an ungodly amount of dakka (especially when Kauyon starts to kick in..) and Shield Drones are still irritating.

Tau 61-80 BA

Any way to swap a tactical combat squad for an assault squad or something for more mobility - doesn't matter too much if they're just action monkeys, but assaults get free gear. Is there a bonus for being troops performing actions in Nephilim? You can always split the 10 tacs into 2x5 separate units and get an extra combi weapon in there, or combat squad in game to get a shooty unit and an action unit. 

What secondaries are you leaning towards?

I don't own any RAS with jump packs :blush:

In that game I split the ten man squad into two with the five man bolters going into Strategic Reserves. They came on to get RND and RA in T3. I ordinarily would be 2 x 5 squads, but I think it was a points problem... Need to weigh up the pro and cons. I'm planning on sticking with RA, RND, Blade...

Troops have a bonus for some secondaries (in that they finish it that turn rather than your next command phase). Things like RND Troops get a +1 towards being successful - so a five man squad wont fail but a five man Scouts/RAS squad will on a roll of six (it's happened to me before now), so they tend to run with six models...

1 hour ago, Jolemai said:

I don't own any RAS with jump packs :blush:

4628f66e092a887bb7497d972e8bf678.gif.e347c774d14d8a44bf7b82030857d5c0.gif

Any Incursors or anything, or sticking with Firstborn? 1CP to reserve a unit in Nephilim seems steep, but if it works, it works! You might be able to swap 5 tacs for another 5 scouts, then make both 6 man for free outflanking - bring them in turn 2+3 or 3+4 to auto score RND. Relentless I'm unsure on, as if you face an aggressive army you might not be in their DZ at all - I prefer the generic version of it, just get 2 units in the opposing DZ, but it depends on the opponent. If they get 2 units in your DZ, then you need 3 in theirs, while Behind Enemy lines doesnt care about units in your DZ. 

I don't own any Primaris either...

With Dante as Warlord, it leaves me on 4 CP. So I can afford 1 CP to do Strategic Reserves imo. Shuffling the point around would be losing the plasma cannon and five guys, and then taking a fourth Tactical squad with heavy flamer and storm bolter. Scouts would be adding a 6 model unit (with 11 points left over - not enough to make the other squad 6) or I could bump my single squad to ten and combat squad them (49 points left bare bones). Trouble is, they are more fragile than Tactical Marines.

Alternative to RA is BEL with this list. DC FF into cover or whatever. SGA moves into range and with Wrath of Baal, catapults them another 14". Then a charge. One unit is enough for two points at least.

Sadly my LSS isn't built yet. I can drop the Typhoon to a regular Speeder if I need points elsewhere but is it worth it?

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo this event didn't happen :sweat: However, I did get to use the list with some tweaks last night against a Necron list that would have been present.

My tweaks to the above list were changing the Scout wargear to sniper rifles, combi-flamer + chainsword, and camo cloaks, and reducing the ten man squad to five (losing the plasma cannon) and creating a fourth MSU Tactical with a storm bolter (these would be doing the Strategic Reserves task). 

I was against:

• Chronomancer
  • Technomancer
  • Command Barge
  • Skorpekh Lord
  • 3x10 Immortals
  • 1x20 Warriors
  • Hexmark
  • Transcendent C'Tan
  • 1x3 Skorpekh Destroyers
  • Canoptek Spyder
  • 1x8 Scarabs
  • 1x3 Lokhust Destroyers
  • 1x10 Flayed Ones

Yeah... I didn't like the look of this. Played Scouring but without the weird addendum to claiming Objectives (which is why I don't have the Rite/Visage combo) - typically, almost all of the Necrons were Objective Secured :confused: and I went second.

Highlights included the Technomancer porting himself and the Warriors into my backfield (T2 they were joined by the Flayed ones). Astorath dealt with the Technomancer (which was my Blade kill and more luck than judgement that I choose him) and a SG unit tried to clear the squad. Eventually Astorath killed enough Warriors to become unengaged, but the SG and this fight lasted most of the game once the Flayed ones turned up. Dante held up the Command Barge and then Astorath did, which freed up stuff to do some damage. Even the Callidus had a decent game chipping in and Supreme Deception doing its thing once and putting off further use. Scouts and the Tactical in reserve found space at the back to arrive and search for Skulls. DC were swamped by the Spiders T1 and needed help before jumping off towards the opposing deployment zone. I also pulled of an unexpected HI with my last SG at the end of the game to secure some points too :)

Final score was Necrons 68-73 BA. Maxed out Blade and RA, with RND netting 8 points. Only managed 30 points in total on the Primaries which is where this list struggles. Over-committed to RA (inexperience with it), Blade is still too swingy for my liking (I'm not always going to get away with this), but for the most part it's solid enough.

• 4 weeks later...

This event went ahead last night despite only having two available players. So it was essentially a final. Based on the two practice games, I tweaked my list to the following (changes in red):

On 10/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, Jolemai said:

Blood Angels Battalion Detachment

Callidus Assassin

:HQ:

Dante

Warlord

Astorath

~ Mantra of Strength, Canticle of Hate

Sanguinary Priest

~ Jump pack, Chief Apothecary

Selfless Healer, Armour Indomitus

:Troops:

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Combi-plasma, chainsword

~ Plasma gun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Combi-grav, chainsword

~ Grav gun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Combi-melta, chainsword

~ Meltagun

Tactical Squad (5)

~ Storm bolter, chainsword

~ Multi-melta

:Elite:

Sanguinary Ancient

~ Angelus bolgun, power fist

Wrath of Baal

Sanguinary Guard (4)

~ Angelus boltgun, power fist (3)

Sanguinary Guard (4)

~ Inferno pistol, encarmine sword (1)

~ Angelus boltgun, encarmine sword (2)

Death Company (5)

~ Thunderhammer (3)

~ Bolt pistol, power fist (1)

~ Bolt pistol, chainsword (1)

Scouts (5)

~ Combi-flamer, chainsword

~ Sniper rifle, camo cloak (4)

:FA:

Attack Bikes (3)

~ Multi-melta (3)

Land Speeder 

~ Multi-melta

:HS:

Whirlwind

~ Castellan

Changing the Land Speeder type ensured more multi-meltas and two extra inches to the Speeder's movement (done with RA in mind). Kept the same secondaries (RND, Blade, RA despite dithering about changing the former to Banners)

Tide of Conviction was rolled from the mission pack, with the addendum that you can only score primaries if you hold your home objective. Map/terrain was set up using the recommended approach from GW metawatch. Opponent was the Tau player from my first game, with the following list:

• Coldstar suit
  • Enforcer suit
  • 2x Strike Squad
  • 1x Kroot Squad
  • 3x3 Crisis Suit Squad
  • 1x2 Broadsides
  • 2x3 Stealth Teams
  • Sunshark
  • 1x4 Markerlight Drones

I went second, but the game was done and dusted by T4 when my opponent conceded. We talked out the remainder of the game and I won with maximum points (97-46 as RND maxes at 12 points...) Couple of mistakes on his part, but basically I got into his lines and they crumbled. I plan on doing a battle report at some point :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...