The only time I have seen them used is in a Creation of Bill list, where they probably are good. They are fast, hit like trucks. Why they have the option of an Icon and not to have marks is a bit strange. One can think that the daemons possessing the Marines are some sort of god affiliated. 

Cpt. Danjou

No mark is baffling but no matter. Possessed rock. Any legion. Min 5 man or 10 with black rune these guys do what chaos does best in spectacular fashion.  Fast mean and tough they are very cheap for the amount of tiny plastic butts they kick. My favorite unit in the codex for competitive play hands down. I might avoid em for casual play as they can feel oppressive to a unprepared opponent. Creations of Bile, Red Corsairs, and Word Bearers probably get the most out of em 

They actually work well (theoretically; I'm building mine now, so hopefully I'll get some practical experience with them soon) they work well as Alphas.  Their high base Movement stat makes them decent Forward Operatives targets, and of course the Fall Back & Charge from the Legion Trait lets them be a little picky about who they fight each turn.  They're already T5 3W 3+/5++, so the -1 to hit improves their already above-average durability in some situations -- as an assault unit, they're ideally going to be inside that 12" bubble for some enemy elements -- but as @tychobi said, the Black Rune helps a lot too.  I hate to say it, but because of their durability and because they're going to in the enemy's grill early, they're actually a convenient bullet sponge if you need to drop a Conceal to protect Legionaires or Havocs doing shooting or objective holding in your backfield.  They're likely to survive the shooting from a few MSU infantry units, especially if you tacked the Black Rune on them.

I’ll be adding them in my Sons of Daedalus (Iron Warriors). 5 minimum, but I think I could convert a couple of the new Chosen to get to 10 since I do have 2 Greater Possessed already. They will work nicely with a master of Possession. 

I stuck a basic unit of 5 in a land raider and just rammed it down my opponent's throat and they were amazing. My opponent was terrified and focused all their firepower on the land raider, which let the rest of my army do pretty much whatever it wanted.

Once the possessed got out of the raider they were right in the middle of the enemy lines and deleted whatever I pointed them at, so I was very happy with them.

4 hours ago, tychobi said:

I really want to see what a full 30 rushing up the map would do. Need to find me some more possessed!  Damage 3 is fairly rare, is there anything Possessed are really afraid to face?  What might the hard counter be?  Thunderhammer termis?  

I considered that for COB all move 10 str 6 fight on death and only roles in at 840 ish points still 1100 points of other things to take. With black rune they are nie immune to small arms fire as well. 

10 hours ago, tychobi said:

I really want to see what a full 30 rushing up the map would do. Need to find me some more possessed!  Damage 3 is fairly rare, is there anything Possessed are really afraid to face?  What might the hard counter be?  Thunderhammer termis?  

The best counters to possessed i encountered yet, was a melee dread. Reduces damage and Kills one possessed per Hit. Needs some Help, but works to reduce numbers