Norse Votann

phandaal
Go to solution Solved by phandaal,

I have enjoyed seeing everyone's color schemes here and elsewhere, so I thought I would share mine now that I have finally gotten time to start painting my army box. Wanted to do something different from my Dark Angels/Deathwing, and different from the Codex schemes and synthwave themes a lot of people are going with.

As a lifelong fan of all things Dwarven, I have always liked this picture of Norse Dwarves from Warhammer Fantasy:

Spoiler

large.Warhammer_Norse_Dwarfs.png.7665bc5

Since Votann are Sci-Fi Dwarves, I thought I would take a shot at adapting this theme to Votann.

Here is my first batch. Disclaimer - I am not a pro painter, and definitely not a pro photographer.

Spoiler

large.20221105_223626_2.jpg.fd394ea6cad0

Here is a close-up of the guy with the plasma knife:

Spoiler

large.20221030_212721.jpg.899385d1bd4256

These guys have Satin varnish, because I like that better than Matte. May go with Matte on any exposed skin though.

Really liking these colors so far. Also working on converting some Berserkers with their obligatory bright orange mohawks and beards.

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

15 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

Really clever to transfer the gold from the scheme into the visor/glowing bits, very nice!

Yes, it is a very yellow gold in these pictures. Yellow seemed better for a high-tech theme. Got some pale gold that I am going to try out on runes and crests, and for vehicle canopies. Will have to see how that works out with the rest of the scheme.

4 hours ago, Doobles88 said:

Really like those, good work. Occurs to me that I've not really seen many (if any) examples of people painting the armour as metallic until now. No idea why as it clearly works!

My original metallic was a very shiny silver for more of a mithril color. That did not work very well, so I talked to someone else I know who was also doing metallics and he told me about Grey Knights Steel from Citadel. Works really well and has great coverage.

Looking very nice, phandaal!  I think the gold will sell it even more once you get it on there, will look even more like the old Norse Dwarves scheme.  The Hearthkin and Kâhl both look the business now though, great work!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

@phandaal - Really well done :thumbsup:, They look even better as a cohesive unit. 

I love the weathered armour look but the green clothing looks a tad Glossy ?!?... could just be the pics ??. 

Look forwards to seeing an army of them :wub:...

Cheers, M.

52 minutes ago, Mumeishi said:

@phandaal - Really well done :thumbsup:, They look even better as a cohesive unit. 

I love the weathered armour look but the green clothing looks a tad Glossy ?!?... could just be the pics ??. 

Look forwards to seeing an army of them :wub:...

Cheers, M.

Thank you! Happy with the way these are turning out.

The "glossy" look is from the satin varnish I used, because I like that better than matte. It is much less glossy in person. Bases and exposed skin get matte varnish though.

Ended up redoing the Champion's shield:

Spoiler

large.20221122_085204.jpg.704d63981cd897

Spoiler

large.20221122_085530.jpg.390ebbd66fdba6

Original idea was to have it yellow to add some color and show a "tech" effect like the runes and lights. In person though, the block of yellow was too much and did not fit with the other colors on the model. Good lesson for the rest of the army!

7 hours ago, SpaceDwalin said:

I love these, they look lush.

Also like the bases too, what do you use for that effect?

Thank you!

The bases are normal garden sand glued on before the base coat spray. That gets painted with P3 Morrow White, then a layer of Army Painter strong tone varnish, then white drybrush, then matte varnish.

Great work Bud!!,

Fire Tufts are a win on those bases, contrasts very well! and looks very Alien indeed :thumbsup: .

I've realised over the course of looking at your models that one thing niggles me ... :sweat: The green Gloves look like Ork/Gretchin hands...  i feel like an orangey or black leather would still make em look old school dwarfish (Just my 2 cents though :blush:, feel free to completely Disregard it. )

Look forward to seeing these Mini terminators !! :wub:

M. 

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Amazes me how good such a simple scheme can look.

Awesome job and await the look of your Sagitaur.

Thank you! Yes, it is a very simple color scheme. I actually did a color dropper on that Norse Dwarves image in the first post and picked out the colors from there. So I have to give credit to the artist - they did an awesome job.

The fire tufts are my own addition of course. Really liking how they work along with the rest of the scheme for a more "alien" look.