Norse Votann

phandaal
Go to solution Solved by phandaal,

On 11/7/2022 at 4:22 PM, phandaal said:

[...]

Yes, it is a very yellow gold in these pictures. Yellow seemed better for a high-tech theme. Got some pale gold that I am going to try out on runes and crests, and for vehicle canopies. Will have to see how that works out with the rest of the scheme.

[...]

First and foremost, yours is a nice looking colour scheme, and it's well applied (those browns, greens and the armour, they make for a no frills, businesslike combination), congratulations.

Last but not least, karma must love you as a gold (very thin) coating is (was?) applied to visors in astronaut helmets and other optical equipment to protect from infrared radiation and for extended durability. So actually you nailed it for it makes sense that the functional, exploration inspired Kin gear would make extendive use of gold coated visors, lenses, etc.

Hey WOW :wub: Looks Super great all together! 

Cannot wait to see your Vehicle mixed in with this line up of models! 

If I ever do some Votaan models then this scheme will be right up there at the top of my choices (with orange being the other crazy choice :laugh:

Cheers, M. 

On 12/11/2022 at 7:24 PM, Mumeishi said:

Hey WOW :wub: Looks Super great all together! 

Cannot wait to see your Vehicle mixed in with this line up of models! 

If I ever do some Votaan models then this scheme will be right up there at the top of my choices (with orange being the other crazy choice :laugh:

Cheers, M. 

Thank you! Finally got my Sagitaurs so those are coming up soon.

Also got some "berserkers" in the works, different from the standard models/kitbashes. The army keeps growing!

6 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

Hey when those "Berserkers" are done, we better see orange hair ... :tongue: ...:laugh: 

Cheers,

M. 

The dream of honest-to-goodness 40k Slayers is still alive. I am gradually obtaining the bits needed to make that happen. For this first round, though, it is going to be something very different!

Terror Turtle #1 complete:

Spoiler

large.20221226_200340_2.jpg.a244a71e6991

Was not all that jazzed about the model because the lack of basing threw me off, then I stuck him next to a few of his kin:

Spoiler

large.20221226_204911_2.jpg.8f4d0c7b5144

Much better. Finishing up Terror Turtle #2 this week, then if all goes well taking the painted army to a 1k point game to close out the year!

Terror Turtle #2 complete:

Spoiler

large.20221229_213953.jpg.6a2d03dc3d6e5e

Did much better this time around. Got the colors a lot smoother - side-by-side Turtle Twins for comparison. #1 on the right, #2 on the left:

Spoiler

large.20221229_214020.jpg.bb07a89d74a7f0

Good practice for whenever I get myself one of those Heckington fortresses.

That is my year-end goal complete. Up next - berserkers!

Painted dudes hit the table for the first time :

Spoiler

large.20221231_133328.jpg.e6a401b4ddd38f

If you can guess from the 10-Scarab Occult Terminator deathstar at the top, it was a tough matchup. All Is Dust is very stronk. Wanted to see what the tokens would do to change that, and the answer is "not much." Regenerating Terminators with 1+ saves, no bueno.

Ended up losing by a hair - we called it at the end of Turn 4, final score in Turn 5 would have been 53-56 to my opponent. Better secondaries could have swung it my way, and wiping my opponent's non-deathstar units sooner would have made it a lot harder for him to score.

Some thoughts:

- Teleport shenanigans are awesome. Porting my Carl and Einhyr Hesyr around netted me the biggest swing in Primary points and kept both units alive much longer.

- Turtles were awesome. Definitely pulled their weight. Good firepower and soaked up a lot of shots.

- Warriors were just there to hold the home objective. Splitting them with the Turtles was very helpful. Hiding 5 guys is a whole lot easier than hiding 10.

- Warriors fall over to a stiff breeze. 4+ 1W is not much, even with Void Armor and T5.

- Mini-Termies are OK. Definitely can see their strength, but their points cost is harsh.

- E-Champ is very swingy. When he connects with that relic mass hammer it is bonkers, but it is very easy to whiff with only 4 attacks.

- Mortal Wounds hurt just as much as expected.

- Bikes are strong, but flop just as hard as Warriors when they get caught.

On URSR:

- Always counting as 1 Judgment Token was solid at the beginning of the game.

- +1 Toughness was awesome. Saved me a whole lot of wounds.

- Reroll Morale never came up. Could be helpful, definitely the weakest part of URSR.

- Definitely going to play them again.

All in all, very fun. Looking forward to growing the army and getting more games in 2023!

Berserkers complete! Some background before the picture. I am not a fan of GW's Chthonian Beserk models.

For starters, barely any beard and no mohawks, but what really gets me is that it is physically impossible for them to swing their axes the way they are holding them. Find a bat or something, hold your hands far apart, and then try to swing it. Yep.

After a lot of searching for alternative models, I finally stumbled on something very different. Not at all what I was planning to build, but I like the end result.

With that out of the way - behold, the Murderbots:

Spoiler

large.20230107_113222.jpg.c25a0861b4da7e

The bodies and weapons are Federation of Tyr Clockwork Ancestors from Tablehammer, and the heads are a 3D print design from tw_bernhard. Both printed up for me by Vidars Mercantile over on Etsy. The Ironkin dome heads got a coat of satin varnish to make them stand out and look more glassy.

Another picture:

Spoiler

large.20230107_112715.jpg.9401ebf7a6b954

And alongside their flesh-and-blood Kin:

Spoiler

large.20230107_112829.jpg.c9aaed1a7bb424

Not what was planned, but really liking the idea of the Votann pointing murderous mining bots at their enemies for maximum damage. Not giving up on the dream of Sci-fi Slayers, but the Murderbots will do just fine for now!

Up next: another squad of Murderbots, then more Warriors. Thanks to GW's recent points nerfs, that will get me to a 1,500 point game!

Looking good!

Have you seen the GW Zerks in person? I was similarly suspicious, but figured just the 5 in the Combat Patrol would be at least a start on the 10 I'm likely to run...

They're better than expected. Definitely a bit cartoony, but certainly satisfactory.

Murderbots are sweet, though. I'm making a Brokhyr out of WH:Underworlds Thundrik, and gonna use an old Necromunda cyber-mastiff and Blackstone UR-025 for two of his helpers...

958C392A-8565-4506-8425-AE3E46ECB9D1_1_105_c.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Quick update - finally had some time to build the last of the minis I want to get painted up before 10th edition.

Spoiler

large.20230416_151347.jpg.f5bc9940cc5e07

That is the last of my bikes, another 10 warriors to bump a squad up to 20, and an axe champ to go along with my hammer champ. The stuff on his base is Testors gap filler that I used to clean up the space between rocks.

Goal is to have these painted up and ready before the first game of 10th edition!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 9:34 PM, Mumeishi said:

Wow that's a LOT of bikes !! 

How Fare's the Testors gap filler ??, always looking for new/better methods for base fillers etc 

Can't wait to see all those bikes done !! 

M. 

Yeah, got 1 unit of bikes in the launch box, 1 unit for cheap towards the end of last year, then 2 more boxes as a gift later on... ended up with a lot more bikes than I had planned but that is OK! Just got the last of my stuff base coated during lunch today so it is finally time to get painting again.

Testor's is great. You would want to use it more like filler than putty, but once it dries it is rock solid. You can sand it if you need to. I left it messy because it was just going to get covered with basing material anyway.

• 5 weeks later...