The 'Good Job GW' thread

Craig

They gave us mk6 Marines scaled correctly. Thats all I ever wanted since the RTB01 box went away and they delivered a damn fine kit. Thank you GW

Ngl, even though I have no interest in anything on WH+ I REALLY want that Terminator, I am tempted and I think I may bite if I have spare cash around xmas...

I agree on the great customer service.

And I also agree on the Warhammer Crime range from Black Library, very well written!

I am also still in love with the huge amount of hobby painting material that came with the "Into the Dark" Kill Team box- even if I am not as fast painting it up as I want to be. The terrain is just amazing.

Plus, all the single special edition miniatures coming out. I bought 3 recently and all of them look amazing (the Warhammer + Terminator, the Ork-slaying Templar and the Anniversary Inquisitor).

But what I am really really happy with is the local stores in my region- they always have something up, share the painting competition results and winners on their Facebook page, and when I went in the other day with my nephew (7) for his birthday, they were very enthusiastic to give him some simple painting lessons and free miniatures. My nephew was very happy.

The Necromunda terrain design. I love how different kits fit together so well and not just from the necromunda range - the two flights of stairs sit the platforms perfectly on top of the munitorum containers. Someone put a lot of thought into those kits.

I think GW really knocked the new IG range out of the park as a whole. 

new Cadians? 10/10

dorn? 9/10

FOBs? 10/10

RRs? 8/10

castellan? 7/10

command squad? 8/10

Creed? 6/10

lord solar? 7/10

new HWTs? 9/10

kasrkin 10/10

im sure they’ll give Catachan the same treatment eventually and I can’t wait to see it.

1 hour ago, hd3 said:

Free model?

If you're lucky enough to live near a Warhammer shop, you can walk in at anytime and ask for the free model of the month, you will need to build it in-store, but they'll supply all the tools for you to use. This month is AoS Lumineth Realmlords, last month was Cursed City, Leagues of Votann before that. I can't speak for all stores, but mine will let us choose from previous models if they still have stock.

11 hours ago, Ahzek451 said:

Forge world over the course of the last few years seems to have gotten better with cleaner molds, and more professional packaging and part acountability. I recall ordering aplently over 10 years ago and the amount of miscasts, warped parts, missing parts was way worse then. 

Also, +1 for heresy in plastic. 

Agreed. My previous experience with FW was a second hand old style thunderhawk that had to be wrestled, filed and bent into something resembling the website pictures.

Recently I bought a squadron of Saber tanks and they went together flawlessly. Don't know if it's CAD, better processes, better resin, or whatever else, but it's working. 

To be honest, for all of the complaining that happens, GW do a lot of things right. Probably most importantly, the model kits are generally excellent - some of them may very well be "not for me", but it's generally hard to criticise them from a technical point of view. Somewhat less obviously, the instructions supplied with the kit are something of an unsung hero normally (they're clear). The paint range has a good range of well thought-out shades, the base/layer system works well, and the paints are good quality. The staff at my local store are great, and GW as a company generally has very good customer service when things go wrong.

Some of the Black Library writing has been very good - I particularly enjoyed the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin trilogies, as well as the Gaunt's Ghosts and Ciaphas Cain series, with a particular hat-tip to the production of the audio books for Ciaphas Cain (Stephen Perring's voicing feels "perfect" to me), and Eisenhorn (Toby Longworth's normally great). The Warhammer Crime novels I've listened to have also been very enjoyable (Grim Repast, Dredge Runners, Flesh & Steel).

9 hours ago, hd3 said:

Free model?

Warhammer Community has the details on this month's. They've been doing it since at least December 2020. :smile:

Edited by Firedrake Cordova
Can't spell Eisenhorn *facepalm*

7 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

If you're lucky enough to live near a Warhammer shop, you can walk in at anytime and ask for the free model of the month, you will need to build it in-store, but they'll supply all the tools for you to use. This month is AoS Lumineth Realmlords, last month was Cursed City, Leagues of Votann before that. I can't speak for all stores, but mine will let us choose from previous models if they still have stock.

Me turning up to get my free miniature and asking to build it in store :biggrin:

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.png

Miniatures design continues to be outstanding. Stylistically, it's pretty rare now for GW to put out a kit that I don't like the look of, even in ranges I wouldn't typically consider myself a fan of. But also technically, kits are so well designed and so easy to put together despite their complexity that ones that are a bit of a struggle (looking at you AoS Chaos Lord on Karkadrak) really stick out. The new Daemon Prince is a really great kit with a surprisingly large amount of options and with joins carefully hidden.

Customer service is also great - I had a small Forgeworld order go missing in the mail and GW replaced it with no fuss whatsoever (within a few days via email). I also had an issue with ordering the Warhammer+ Year 2 minis where the site wasn't letting me order them despite my account saying I could, all resolved very quickly by CS.

Regarding balance and dataslates and stuff, although I don't always agree with what the changes are I am very much a fan of the fact that GW is willing to make changes to the game between rules products (like Codexes and Mission Packs) in an attempt to keep the whole thing more closely balanced than it has been historically. 

Many good things:

1. Contrast Paints

2. Miniature design (although faces recently are not that great)

3. Company strategy and vision inc. diversification to medias, comics, licensed merchansie (video games...)

4. ..... some very specific merch (this one is great IMO)

71NAbrqZ85L._AC_SX679_.jpg

I'm loving most of the models that have been released recently, even if it is not for me, I can appreciate the level of detail and design language.

Rules wise, I think it is my favourite edition since 2nd, as there are now so many options for play that can either be ignored or chucked in to add some variety. I think this edition really suits the casual way I like to play.

Contrast paints have sped up my painting significantly, so happy to see them brought up in the non-GW forums I am a member of.

Overall, I think there have been more good steps by GW in the last few years than bad.

+1 for customer service - rare that I've had actual issues with kits in nearly 25 years of hobbying but when I have they have been fantastic, both in store and online. Also generally the staff in the stores I go in are all keen and friendly but not to the point of annoyance.

Contrast paints!!!! These made painting fun again for me and I may actually finish my Orks one day because of them. I still enjoy 'traditional' painting but these give me a break from that style

Kits - clearly these have progressed amazingly.  Plus a special mention to terrain and the fact that not only have they included it more and more but they have made it modular in most cases 

warhammer community - definite improvements on engagement vs several years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

Oh I got another one. Argellan Earth. Splat that over miniatures' bases, stick some tufts on it and use a wash over it and bam.

Bases done.

Agreed, a lot of the texture paints just work with absolutely no hassle at all. Sure they're pricy but the reliability and finish are both great.

13 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

Oh I got another one. Argellan Earth. Splat that over miniatures' bases, stick some tufts on it and use a wash over it and bam.

Bases done.

That's basically what I do for all my armies, just with Armageddon Dunes. I hate basing, so it's easy and makes all my models uniform.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

They did a great job of bringing back the squats- the redesign, the lore, the build up -just excellent. I love the range so much - the kits are so good. Can't wait to read more and see more of them. Always been a dwarf fan and I was hyped and worried when they were rumoured to be coming as I thought they could stuff it up but I think they've done a really good job at making them something different for 40k while still keeping the feel and history in the range. 

Also a shout out for contrast paints- getting a good bit of joy from them now I'm having a bit of a play using the medium as a thinner.

I think my comment on them is their ability to admit mistakes now and even have fun.

Their metawatch articles are interesting and while some may not like the state of things, the fact is they try to keep things balanced and want things balanced as they do know that a healthy game state means people keep playing and people who keep playing keep paying.

The big show of this was their James Workshop video in relation to the Votann. You can see they are having a good time and want to make the fun and with the game as broad and diverse as it is, it is difficult.

There are elements I would like to see tidied up. Mainly a pass on making weapons consistent across factions such as the Imperium however they are showing a want to keep things clean, keep things on the up and up and generally want to help the game thrive.

For as much as we whine about getting TOO many books now a days...used to be "back in the day" you'd get one book for your faction, and that was you for sometimes upwards of a decade possibly if you were a niche faction...like you know...Necrons who effectively SKIPPED 4th edition and went straight 5th. No really...how do we count those codices that skipped an edition?

So ultimately I feel the "too many books" is a better problem than "too few". It means support for your faction is rarely far away and generally each codex refines and improves on the prior fairly well.

However my emphasis is on their ability to now admit mistakes more readily and even have a joke about it too. They certainly feel more approachable and receptive.

I really like what GW did with the Guard codex (ignoring how late it is...).

Guard have an answer for EVERYTHING.  The problem (which is also a good thing) is that the answer is tailor-made for that question, and there are almost no "1 answer for everything" options (except the Executioner LRBT).  That rewards being a good general, and means we can take a variety of lists and they'll all be viable.  Did they miss the mark in a couple spots?  Absolutely.  But they did a really good job overall with the codex.

@Silverstu - agree 100% on the Squats/Voltann. It never made sense to me why 'dwarves in space' stopped being a thing. Apparently it was just an influential person in design that wasn't there any more, and obviously at that point the objectively correct opinion that dwarves in space are cool snapped back into place! :biggrin:

Made me buy my first 40k miniatures in over a decade, so they definitely did something right!

I'm building some new Chaos Terminators.. and GW did a fantastic job with these sculpts. They're so so good. They've perfectly captured that lumbering, stomping, swaying gait that terminators have when they move. And the proportions and everything are perfect. Such amazing models. 10/10. 

Edited by TheWarmaster

Refreshing to see a positive forum discussion. :thumbsup:

For me it's very much the evolution of kits. I do not miss metal models with poor contact points with too much weight against them or the ones that had mixed plastic pieces. Everything I have put together in the last 5+ years of release has been a delight to build, as well as better color instructions and no more guesstimations as to where a piece lines up. 

I'm also a big fan of the seasonal rules/mission packs to keep things fresh and an attempt at further balancing.