The 'Good Job GW' thread

Craig

6 hours ago, t4ct1c47 said:

I am very impressed with the quality of the Heresy, Titanicus, and Necromunda books. Good rules, good fluff, not too much of fight mongling gore stomp fests (you know what I mean).

If you ever have an interest, the Aeronautica campaign books have some solid lore too. Shame the game didn't catch on as much. I've also enjoyed the lore in this edition of Kill Team

Edited by sitnam

Well done GW (Citadel) on the childproofing on your spray paint - the lids have stood up against the best efforts of my two year old who has had a sudden, overwhelming need to paint himself.

I think I'll put away the hobby stuff until nap-time.... :sweat:

On 6/8/2023 at 4:22 PM, BluejayJunior said:

I found it really weird that PL was derided for so long because wargear was free and you could just take everything. And then when they made wargear free for a lot of units using points, it was praised as an amazing change that was so good for the game. 

I wonder what would have happened if they would have called it points instead of PL from the get go. So instead of a 5 man intercessor squad being 5PL, just put 100pts there and say all wargear is free, or add 1PL 5pts for a meltagun or whatever

I'm skimming through the 40k rules commentary that dropped today and this caught my eye:

Not Been Selected to Shoot or Fight This Phase: This phrasing is
used in several rules – typically Stratagems that can be used in the
Shooting or Fight phase. When using such rules, the reference to
‘shoot’ only applies in the Shooting phase, and the reference to ‘fight’
only applies in the Fight phase. For example, you cannot use such
a rule on a unit in the Shooting phase because that unit hasn’t been
selected to fight that phase.

You could only put such a statement into a day 1* release if you had thought really hard about closing loopholes and heading off as many stupid arguments as possible. Good job GW, you're genuinely trying to make a better gaming experience by tightening things up.

[Edit] I wrote the above before I saw the points document. Oh dear. :facepalm:

*Where are we anyway? Day -8 I think.

Edited by Cactus

I can only speak for myself, but the doomsaying about the new edition is beginning to kill my motivation not just for the tabletop but also for the hobby. I'd hope that this thread, if it can't be positive, could it at least not be negative? There are plenty of problems worth complaining about, but could it not be kept out of the one place meant for the miniscule dregs of optimism people may have about this new edition? :confused:

The partworks magazines have been an absolute incredible addition to GW’s portfolio. That they are available individually and outside subscription is amazing, and despite some issues being bought up by scalpers or being hard to get hold of from my FLGS, I’ve been able to get loads of kits from across the lines with which to build my blood angels. Having an option to buy eg. five storm cast externals, five plague marines, and five intercessors for 30euro meant that I could have three squads of mixed armour mark marines for a fraction of the cost of buying complete boxes. I was also able to get enough necron parts for an extensively converted kill team for about 30 euro too

I for one have been advocating a move toward the apocalypse ruleset for base 40k, and alternative activation.

Because the granularity of the pre-game list building, and the in-game layers upon layers of rules are antagonistic with the scale of armies, and the time it takes complete a game.

GW met those expectations half-way somehow, and they are going to endure much flak from the old-timers from it.

I finished first Battle of 10th yesterday (a small test match) with 500 Points (and my first Battle as a Tyranid Player): The game is much quicker and enjoyable. Both armies and the single battles between units felt very in-lore. Probably the most fun 40k battle I've ever had.

Whilst I was hobbying with some other folks, two friends played a quick game which felt quite balanced, was easy to grasp and a lot quicker than previous edition due to the toned down ruleset. It looks to be quite enjoyable to play the game! 

Well done to GW for a fairly tight ruleset :) 

Alpha strike seems to be less of a concern! Unit survivability is definitely on the up. The ability to Overwatch not only charges, but also deepstrikes and all kinds of movement is beyond excellent.

I pulled out a silly list yesterday (1000 pts, Primaris Techmarine + servitors, 2 Vindicators, 10 Termies and a Termie Chaplain) and had fun.

Edited by Kastor Krieg

Silly little detail that I really appreciate:

The Repulsor and Repulsor Executioner have had all of their small guns (storm bolters, stubbers, grenade launchers etc) rolled into one profile "Repulsor Defensive Array"... Gone are the days of spending forever rolling a stack of different weapon profiles!

Just played my first game of 10th, CSM vs SM, and it was... honestly really good. Mission stuff felt great, units mostly felt great. I know there's balance and rules issues, particularly with some of the indices, but when you aren't featuring the problem units the actual game seems to be very solid. Much better than 9th in several regards.

7 hours ago, Arbedark said:

Spent a few hours building some stuff from the Leviathan box. The models are absolutely incredible - well designed to hide joins, barely any mould lines, etc. Kudos to GW for that. 

Seconded, the Leviathan minis are generally very impressive. The almost complete lack of mould lines is wonderful.

(With that said I did find that for the Terminators they were much easier to build if you snip off the peg that attaches the front and rear of the torso.)