The 'Good Job GW' thread

Craig

The new contrast paints are amazing and have helped someone like me who isnt the greatest painter to be able to get my army painted alot easier so when I play games my army is actually fully painted which makes it that much more enjoyable 

• 4 weeks later...

I've just put together another sabre tank and I have to give kudos to newer FW kits. There was no warping as the components were thick enough and designed in such a way to prevent it. The details were crisp and mold lines were small and easy to remove. Absolute joy to build. 

Edited by Brother_Angelus

First and foremost, Crusade. Related to that, game size/ escalation built into core rules. I wish the media/ marketing/ community elements had pushed these ideas more- Crusade stories as batreps for example.

Kill Team and its integration/ support for 40k, as well as its own version of Crusade (Spec Ops).

Blackstone Fortress was awesome and huge, and I would not have been as enthusiastic for 8th as I was had it not been compatible with 40k. Here's hoping that we get a new 40k themed Warhammer Quest game- hopefully one that deals with Inquisition vs various cults.

Necromunda, and in particular Ash Wastes- I love these models and the way they've expanded that galaxy. Necromunda could use some greater 40k integration though; the new vehicles could really make 40k cultist detachments viable. 

Finally giving World Eaters their own codex with considerations for how a pure melee army is supposed to actually work and get their job done. And while I wish they had more kits, they absolutely nailed the kits that are coming IMO. Love it love it love it.

Also, creating the Arks of Omen detachment so I can finally run an army full of nothing but juggernaut riders (bikers), albeit using loyalist rules.

Edited by Khornestar

On 12/27/2022 at 10:09 PM, Kassill said:

Refreshing to see a positive forum discussion. :thumbsup:

For me it's very much the evolution of kits. I do not miss metal models with poor contact points with too much weight against them or the ones that had mixed plastic pieces. Everything I have put together in the last 5+ years of release has been a delight to build, as well as better color instructions and no more guesstimations as to where a piece lines up. 

I'm also a big fan of the seasonal rules/mission packs to keep things fresh and an attempt at further balancing. 

Yes definitely about the metal. Was following someone's project log and they were trying to put some old metal dwarf cannons together. They were so sick of them collapsing they were using an industrial 2-part epoxy that is normally used for hanging shelf fittings off of concrete, took about 24 hours to dry :biggrin:. He was hopeful they would last a game or two!

Young hobbyists today don't know what they are missing!

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Craig said:

I have just seen the leviathan set includes objective markers. Such a simple thing to include with a set designed for 2 people to play a game, that has been absent in every box set I have seen so far.

I think that will only be if you preorder in a Warhammer store.

It is a nice set of markers however I am (hopefully) going the route of independent stockist. I'm hoping for the dice tray but the main reason will be the discounted price so I'll take what ever is given alongside this. 

I do appreciate the fact that they are offering these extras across the board, not just directly from GW

59 minutes ago, lhg033 said:

They are packed in with the cards by the looks of things. Only basic cardboard push out things but as a part of playing the game I always said they should include them with sets designed to get people playing.

A big complaint was the in the digital age, GW were still charging for rules. In 9th, the rules were free, but codexes not, with 10th, they've given the main rules away as a pdf, and then will be giving each army datasheets to play the game with, so essentially, this version of 10th can be free for the entirety of it's duration, unless you play tournaments. 

I think that's a win - free gaming for casuals and paid-for meta chasing* for those that want to.

*I'm aware this might come off as derisory, but it's not meant in that way whatsoever, tourney goers by nature if they want to be competitive have to play to, and account for the meta. I just cant think of a better way to describe it. 

Edited by Xenith

13 hours ago, Craig said:

I have just seen the leviathan set includes objective markers. Such a simple thing to include with a set designed for 2 people to play a game, that has been absent in every box set I have seen so far.

12 hours ago, lhg033 said:

As @Craig says, there are cardboard ones included in the Mission Deck. It is a good inclusion, but also not strictly a new thing (the 9th Edition Tempest of War deck includes cardboard objective markers too)

23 hours ago, Craig said:

That's actually something I never appreciated, and they should include with every set. Putting some random objective marker gubbins on some starter frames along with an extra 6x 40mm bases shouldn't be too much work, but glad they hve put card markers in. 

I really like how GW seem to have embraced YouTube content creators as ambassadors for the brand. The amount of channels that have been given early access to the leviathan box has really surprised me. Even the relatively small channels have been included which is really good for them.

Yea, loving that they kept crusade on, despite it being seen as evil by most of the internet :sweat:

I want to get another campaign up and running. I hope GW maintains support for it and actually promotes it as a valid way to play. They seemed to give up on it around the middle of 9th. The last official expansion was a DG/DE one in like, late 2021?

17 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Yea, loving that they kept crusade on, despite it being seen as evil by most of the internet :sweat:

I want to get another campaign up and running. I hope GW maintains support for it and actually promotes it as a valid way to play. They seemed to give up on it around the middle of 9th. The last official expansion was a DG/DE one in like, late 2021?

Never quite got the hate myself, just seemed a more narrative game. Variety is always nice

47 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

Never quite got the hate myself, just seemed a more narrative game. Variety is always nice

I think it was because PL and summonning in games could be abused, and most of the US tourney crowd...abused the rules, or at least assumed on paper that rules abuse is the default, making Crusade an unpleasant affair, and thus worthy of derision. 

As far is I know, Crusade content didn't really let up- I didn't buy the Votann or World eater dexes, but I think they still had bespoke content. I don't think any of the Arks of Omen books had Crusade content, but I didn't buy them either.

The Crusade content in the Vigilus books was some of the best- that was the Armies of Faith rules. It was even better if you had the four White Dwarf issues that expanded it (and I do). Those issues, BTW are 472, 473, and I think 476 and 477. If those did get put up on WH+, I recommend visiting those issues and screen capping that stuff, because GW scrubs the rules content from previous editions, leaving only the fluff. Yet another reason why paper books are still necessary despite digital hype.

With the need to reset Crusades for 10th, at least I might actually get to bat-rep a Crusade or two this edition. The problem is waiting for the dex content... And again, there are no guarantees it's going to be as good as what we got in 9th, so any Crusade bat-repping will have to involve houserules out of the gate. It's why my "Good Job GW" is still somewhat tentative.

19 minutes ago, Xenith said:

I think it was because PL and summonning in games could be abused, and most of the US tourney crowd...abused the rules, or at least assumed on paper that rules abuse is the default, making Crusade an unpleasant affair, and thus worthy of derision. 

I found it really weird that PL was derided for so long because wargear was free and you could just take everything. And then when they made wargear free for a lot of units using points, it was praised as an amazing change that was so good for the game. 

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

Competitive brain-rot is a blight on games.  It's everywhere and so annoying.

Time to say good job GW for the Leviathan launch; my fears didn't come to pass, it's still readily available 12 hours later (in all regions barring the US at least), the queue did its job and people were able to buy without the webstore collapsing and I can now be happy for all the minor content creators who got freebie copies!

8 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Time to say good job GW for the Leviathan launch; my fears didn't come to pass, it's still readily available 12 hours later (in all regions barring the US at least), the queue did its job and people were able to buy without the webstore collapsing and I can now be happy for all the minor content creators who got freebie copies!

I concur, they did a good job with this, and by the looks of things, everyone who wanted one, got one.