9th Ed Codex early rules questions

11 hours ago, Santaclauswitz said:

All 4 troops options have the keyword "infantry squad". If gw intended it to be a strat for just the named infantry squad then they'll need to FAQ it. 

Oh. I thought that's literally the Infantry squad unit, not the keyword. Now i'm feeling silly.

11 hours ago, Santaclauswitz said:

I think you'd have to be playing against a gigantic arse if they're complaining that old cadians can't be used as new cadians.

You can't imagine how 'arse' the tournament organizers can be here. 

On 11/30/2022 at 7:52 AM, Shamansky said:

Well Kasrkin are hands down the best infantry in this variant of the codex. And most likely will become a fire magnet very soon. While Infantry squads are many and expendable.

protect them with the 4++ relic and our psychic powers and transports

On 11/30/2022 at 2:27 AM, sairence said:

Don't need +1 S when fishing for 6s. Go with Take Aim. More hits is usually better than stronger hits. :)

But I agree, you want this on Kasrkin. That unit is going to be so bonkers when we start being able to get them on their own...

Plus 1 str comes from Creed. Any unit she directly orders gets +1 str to their ranged attacks.  

I recently had an argument with a friend about quantity of the Aircrafts per army. He was telling me that we're able to take up to 6 Valks in 2 UNITS now. And as i remember the limit is 2 MODELS per army. But i can't find where that was stated. Could you folks please remind me?

42 minutes ago, Shamansky said:

I recently had an argument with a friend about quantity of the Aircrafts per army. He was telling me that we're able to take up to 6 Valks in 2 UNITS now. And as i remember the limit is 2 MODELS per army. But i can't find where that was stated. Could you folks please remind me?

Two points:

1. The limitation is models, not units. So you're correct.
  2. Valkyries are not in squadrons in the new codex, so it is a moot points (or shortly will be.)

45 minutes ago, Shamansky said:

the dataslate 

Hi!

I was under the impression that you couldn't double up on special weapons on the basic troops (shock troops). Now that I am reading through the codex there isn't a restriction on it. The wording is weird though "Up to 2 shock troopers can take one of the following special weapons..." *

*You cannot select the same weapon more than TWICE.

IMG_20221207_125757.jpg

1 hour ago, Jaipii said:

Hi!

I was under the impression that you couldn't double up on special weapons on the basic troops (shock troops). Now that I am reading through the codex there isn't a restriction on it. The wording is weird though "Up to 2 shock troopers can take one of the following special weapons..." *

*You cannot select the same weapon more than TWICE.

IMG_20221207_125757.jpg

FYI You miss quoted it, the bit you missed is key, it’s the each that defines it as more than one, “Troopers can each have their”  it’s very clear to me that you can take two of the per unit. 

It'll get FAQ'd away at some point, but for now the wording (at least in the English versions) allows you to take two of the same. My understanding is that other languages have different wording, which should make tournaments fun. Curious how this will affect GW's "win rate" for the new codex if different countries end up using different rules. 

SeeYeah, entirely legal and not nearly as nonsensical as a line on the datasheet as people make it out to be. You have the same line in every datasheet that can take more than one model with a special weapon, to clarify if any gun can double up or not. See Kasrkin, Scions, DkoK datasheets for other examples.

It may get FAQ'd away, but anyone who tells you right now they know it's definitely not intended is just making stuff up. You go by as written until its changed. Simple as that.

Edited by sairence
Forgot something

I think it's a typo as well because currently that restriction doesn't make sense. Currently you can use 2 of the same in the same squad though.

I also think it's an oversight that Bullgryns don't have the Ogryn keyword (either that or it's an oversight that the Thunderous Charge and Shield of Flesh stratagems don't include the Bullgryn keyword. Makes no sense that Bullgryns can't utilize those stratagems when a Ogryn (and in the case of TC, Rough Riders) can.

43 minutes ago, Minsc said:

I think it's a typo as well because currently that restriction doesn't make sense. Currently you can use 2 of the same in the same squad though.

I also think it's an oversight that Bullgryns don't have the Ogryn keyword (either that or it's an oversight that the Thunderous Charge and Shield of Flesh stratagems don't include the Bullgryn keyword. Makes no sense that Bullgryns can't utilize those stratagems when a Ogryn (and in the case of TC, Rough Riders) can.

I was thinking on the bullgryn thing and I'm not sure it isn't deliberate. Because of the perceived extra durability of bullgryns, they may very well have decided the stratagem combos were too powerful. 

Special Weapons: 

I would wager it is a typo as there's been a lot of restrictions on numerous copies of one special weapon throughout the book (only one of each in a PCS, one of each per 5 scions, two each in a Kasrkin squad). It also makes little sense to say that no weapon can be chosen more than twice when only two weapons can be chosen. 

That being said RAW yes you can take two plasma guns but I wouldn't be shocked if it gets FAQ'd.