Kill Team Horus Heresy

Lysimachus

Inspired by Tonius comment:

Kill Team Horus Heresy would be fun: using intercession squad rules with HH marines and playing Marines vs marines games :)

I was thinking about how you could represent the 18 Legions using the various existing Power Armour Kill Team options? (Intercession, Phobos, Legionary, Deathguard, Thousand Sons and regular Marines/Deathwatch)

For example, to my mind for Alpha Legion it would make sense to use the Phobos Team? Or maybe Iron Hands could use the Death Guard Team? (Nurgly toughness representing bionic enhancements, etc)

Of course with Intercession teams, you could use the Chapter Tactics too!

So, just for fun, how would you distinguish the various Legions using the rules we already have?

Edited by Lysimachus

1 hour ago, Lysimachus said:

So, just for fun, how would you distinguish the various Legions...(SNIP)

Easy. The Loyalists are the ones glued upright, and the Traitors are the base decoration.

Where they belong. :pirate:

3 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Easy. The Traitors are the ones glued upright, and the Traitors are the base decoration.

Where they belong. :pirate:

FTFY

I don’t know enough of Kill Team 2.0 to say for sure but I suspect the flexible nature of the Deathwatch team should allow to build for various legion flavours.

Also would Grey Knight Kill team be of use for say pre Rubric  TS or EC?

Edited by Trokair

55 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

That's a nice idea! I think maybe we'll finish 'Knives' and have a bit of a break first, but then a HH Kill Team Challenge (maybe in conjunction with the AoD subforum?) could be fun!

I'd be up for that in due course, if I can mae a Mechanicum Kill team or such. I am sure I have a few unbuilt Scyllax and maybe some Thallax somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Lysimachus said:

That's a nice idea! I think maybe we'll finish 'Knives' and have a bit of a break first, but then a HH Kill Team Challenge (maybe in conjunction with the AoD subforum?) could be fun!

This! 
(Especially since I need to finish my other  killteam first :cool: ) 

Indeed it is! I was trying to think of ways to represent each Legion with the official PA teams we have, but if people are happy to use homegrown stuff it's a great option!

This is what I had so far:

1. Dark Angels (Deathwatch - lots of Plasma?)
2. –
3. Emperor's Children
4. Iron Warriors
5. White Scars
6. Space Wolves (Balanced Legionnaires, Heavy Gunner Long Fang, Anointed Blood Claw, etc)
7. Imperial Fists (Intercession Team with Accurate and Durable)
8. Night Lords (Phobos Strike Team? Reiver heavy?)
9. Blood Angels
10. Iron Hands (maybe DG, use Nurgle gifts to represent Bionics+FNP?)
11. –
12. World Eaters (CC focused Legionnaires, no Balefire Acolyte!)
13. Ultramarines
14. Death Guard (Death Guard)
15. Thousand Sons (maybe Grey Knights?)
16. Sons of Horus
17. Word Bearers
18. Salamanders
19. Raven Guard (Phobos Strike Team)
20. Alpha Legion (Phobos Strike Team)

Edited by Lysimachus

I'm surprised that GW hasn't released sub-faction rules as they did in the previous edition. The faction rules/datasheets include the keyword by which those were implemented in the previous edition, whereas the previous edition didn't include those at first. For example, the Adeptus Astartes operatives have the <CHAPTER> keyword and the Heretic Astartes operatives have the <LEGION> keyword (except the Death Guard and Thousand Sons who have BUBONIC ASTARTES and ARCANA ASTARTES, respectively). I inferred from the inclusion of those keywords that GW had a plan for sub-faction rules that would facilitate exactly what we're talking about here.

Perhaps instead of limiting individual legions to specific units we might explore developing legion rules. Admittedly, that's another homegrown solution so it wouldn't necessarily be allowed in certain game settings.