Cpt.Danjou

Venomcrawlers are coincidentally the same points as a Hellbrute. They are quite similar in a lot of stats but the VC trades hitting power for speed. A single VC on its own probably won't accomplish a huge amount but they pair well with other units.

The easiest use for one in my mind is a bodyguard for a Disco Lord. These guys are a popular HQ choice (with good reason) but struggle to find a bodyguard that can keep up to screen them from enemy shooting. The VC is fast enough to keep pace with the Disco Lord., tough enough to soak a reasonable amount of attention before it dies and has enough firepower and melee capabilty to get stuck in alongside him if it survives closing with the enemy. This durability can be enhanced further with the "Infernal Engine" stratagem which will definitely make him a pain to remove.

It is also in the Fast Attack slot which is not too hard to fit in unless you like running multiple Warp Talons and/or Spawn.

Edited by Karhedron

I like using them as a distraction, they’re cheap and they’ve got a lot of speed for a CSM unit so depending on who goes first they have a potential first turn charge or be in positions to score an objective in turn 2. So they can force the opponent to deal with them buying time for the slower chaos units and drawing fire from other deamon engines or tanks.

I don’t like them to be to close to other units in my army though due to the 5+ explosion on death as mine seem to go bang fairly regularly.

as mentioned above they’re the same price as a cheap dreadnought but are faster, have a fixed load out, invulnerable save, regeneration and sit in a much less crowded force organisation slot, so they’re great for most chaos armies. It’s just a shame they aren’t an individual kit.