+++Unit of the week+++

CSM.jpg.a1934391d45672b1c98aa54c68e67db0.jpg

Sorcerer

This thread is only for tactics for Sorcerer, not for pictures, there are other places for that.

How to best use the Sorcerer?

• Warlord trait?
  • Spells?
  • Relics?
  • Legion?
  • Marks?
  • Which stratagems are worth throwing out?
  • Any solid unit combos?

I have heard fewer players taking this little character than the Chaos lord. His first problem is that he is competing for a spot against the MoP and DA, and that our legioners can have a mini psyker in every unit. My meta is filled with, either psyker insanity, or no psykers at all, which mean that a caster is always good, I usually have five or six of them. But the sorcerer sadly  does not bring good enough utility to be a choice for us.

Cpt. Danjou 

5 minutes ago, Cpt.Danjou said:

I have heard fewer players taking this little character than the Chaos lord. His first problem is that he is competing for a spot against the MoP and DA, and that our legioners can have a mini psyker in every unit. My meta is filled with, either psyker insanity, or no psykers at all, which mean that a caster is always good, I usually have five or six of them. But the sorcerer sadly  does not bring good enough utility to be a choice for us.

Cpt. Danjou 

I've seen them taken, but they compete too much for that HQ slot to see it be too common.

There's a chance with the Arks of Omen detachments that I might try one out, given there would be four HQ slots in that.

I think on paper the Sorcerer is fine for his points - casts two powers, two denies and has access to some decent tech like prescience and warptime. Also cheapest route to psychic actions.

It was the limited HQ slots holding him back, as other options were better (MoP, DA, Prince, Disco Lord). With 4 HQ slots now, perhaps he may make an appearance in some lists. 

Eye of Tzeentch and Liber Hereticus of course are two solid relics for him. 

Are we bundling the power armour and terminator armour versions together in this, similar to the old days when it was one profile and you bought the terminator armour? 

I can see play if you want a character to drop in with the terminators, maybe with a buff like prescience, improved invulnerable save or just supplement damage with a smite. For example Alpha Legion, with Covert Operative to support dropping in and controlling an objective. 

Ive used the sorcerer a lot (with liver hereticus relic) and just pumping out 3 witchfire a turn.  

however… I’ve been playing a map based campaign game, so have an idea of which faction/opponent I’ll be up against each time with my creations of bile force.  We (chaos) border a Custodes heavy imperial force and also a Tau empire, so often witchfire is a great way to push damage.  And the alternative (legionaries with balefire tome) are trash as Custodes and tau excel at deleting them.

i don’t know that I’d generally pick them if I was going into an all comers tournament .