Dark Angels Range Update Speculation

WrathOfTheLion

5 hours ago, Harleqvin said:

That was Marneus thatwas curious. Which he made a note about how they seemed to have left a Primaris guy in charge who didn't know much about some of the tactical reasons why they were doing what they did. but that they still did what was needed.

It wasn't "considerable" amount of time. It was a rather short time. He knows about Cypher (not necessarily who exactly he is, or what he is doing obviously,) but that doesn't mean he knows about the Fallen. There is enough to infer he is aware something is up, but not exactly what that is that's up.
Also The DA have been known to have various colored armor, even back in the HH era.  Just because a small group of DA in Black armor showed up wouldn't exactly be completely strange to him.

What Calgar knows, I'd guess Guilliman knows.  Many Inquisitors know they should suspect something but they know not what.  Calgar got a bigger hint.  Guilliman got the biggest hint, and he has Bet Reps from forever to investigate.  It wouldn't be completely out of character to find out he knows.  Its even possible but a major cop-out to say the Emperor told him about the Fallen and the Lion.

Of course this is also off topic - so to get us back on - I've heard they're going to release actual lions (similar to Fenrisian Wolves).  Here's hoping the Ravenwing continue to mount up on bikes and not big cats.  Though the Lion Guard comprised of actual Calibanite Lions has logic to it.  Sort of.  I suppose they could act like the Silent King's Triarchal Menhir

Given the Calibanite Lions and the other beasts of the old planet were almost certainly products of chaos corruption, and the Lion went out of his way to purge the entire planet of them, I don’t buy he’d have himself a couple as bodyguards Russ style.

I think it more likely to be two Primaris Bladeguard style alternatives like the UMs have with the honour guard included with Calgar, modelled after the Lion Guard from the Visions of Heresy book

On 2/13/2023 at 11:57 PM, Tacitus said:

What Calgar knows, I'd guess Guilliman knows.  Many Inquisitors know they should suspect something but they know not what.  Calgar got a bigger hint.  Guilliman got the biggest hint, and he has Bet Reps from forever to investigate.  It wouldn't be completely out of character to find out he knows.  Its even possible but a major cop-out to say the Emperor told him about the Fallen and the Lion.

Of course this is also off topic - so to get us back on - I've heard they're going to release actual lions (similar to Fenrisian Wolves).  Here's hoping the Ravenwing continue to mount up on bikes and not big cats.  Though the Lion Guard comprised of actual Calibanite Lions has logic to it.  Sort of.  I suppose they could act like the Silent King's Triarchal Menhir

That is a bit off topic yeah, as it isn't about range speculation.

The runnoring of actual lions is so much not likely. It's been a horrible fan rumor for editions (that some even brought up Voltron styled stuff :laugh:.) There haven't been anything about the DA having lions as pets or anything of that ilk. Also as @UtariOnzo has said the lions and such that were on Caliban were Chaos corruptions that they went completely out of their way to destroy. And also agree with him about the more likely it will be a special bladeguard like unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor from Valrak is that the Lion has a sword (of course) and a shield as his wargear, which is an interesting change compared to the 30k model.

Now the real question that matters, is he painted green, black or bone?

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I was wondering if this was being talked about on the forum. It's a very exciting prospect to see another loyal Primarch return.

I actually like the Guilliman model, but there are a few things on it that aren't quite right imo. I think GW will probably exceed expectations with the Lion, especially if the rumours are true and he is wielding a sword with a shield - models like this simply look very cool. I think they'll stick to the Black armour for the model as that is what's most recognisable for him, but bone will also be cool.

I see people say that the Primaris/Firstborn distinction is going away. This isn't the case, it's simply the removal of the keyword from the units. This way the faction will feel more cohesive and less restrictive on the tabletop, but the lore will keep moving as it already has. What I suspect will happen is that this will ultimately make the phasing out of old models easier, as they are replaced by Primaris alternatives over the medium to long run. It does potentially allow for the Primaris units to use older transports like the Landraider. I'm personally hoping that the Spartan is added to the next Marine codex as a Lord of War, with strong rules to reflect it's stature.

The Lion Guard could be anything. They might just be two illustrious honour guard similar to the Victrix, or they could be some Primaris update of the Deathwing Knights - A unit of elite veterans with superior weapons and skills. I wonder how long the DA, BA and SW will have to wait before they get a similar treatment to the Black Templars.

Riding in Land Raiders would be nice, my Deathwing Bladeguard are itching to ride in my Land Raider Crusader.

As a slight followup to that thought, I would suspect the Lion Guard are a Bladeguard-style bodyguard unit, painted in Deathwing colors, similar to the Deathwing Companions from 30k. I suspect they're in some sort of blinged up, stylized Bladeguard armor.

Given the rumored description of Lion El'Jonson, I also sort of think his armor is going to be influenced by the Bladeguard design.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

17 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Rumor from Valrak is that the Lion has a sword (of course) and a shield as his wargear, which is an interesting change compared to the 30k model.

Now the real question that matters, is he painted green, black or bone?

I'm kinda Meh on him having a shield.  It would be cool to look at, but I'm assuming he's going to have a super Pistol+ in addition to the sword and shield.  In other words he'll break the "general rule" of 2 weapons including Stormshields as a weapon.   I'm assuming he'll be 2+/4++ with a Relic Shield type of thing similar to the BGV, he'll have a big sword which is unlikely but potentially the Lion Sword with some Cyper hand waving and retconning.  As the Lion Helm is now human not primarch sized, and following around Azrael they had to come up with other wargear to give him the Invuln.  Perhaps even some Lore based throwbacks like The Shield Of The Stormwing or Bulwark of the Deathwing. He'll have a Super Duper Sunwrath Pistol  Range 24", Pistol 3-4, Plasma Statline(s)  - potentially "early" Plasma with one always overcharge never overheat statline. 

1 hour ago, Tacitus said:

I'm kinda Meh on him having a shield.  It would be cool to look at, but I'm assuming he's going to have a super Pistol+ in addition to the sword and shield.  In other words he'll break the "general rule" of 2 weapons including Stormshields as a weapon.   I'm assuming he'll be 2+/4++ with a Relic Shield type of thing similar to the BGV, he'll have a big sword which is unlikely but potentially the Lion Sword with some Cyper hand waving and retconning.  As the Lion Helm is now human not primarch sized, and following around Azrael they had to come up with other wargear to give him the Invuln.  Perhaps even some Lore based throwbacks like The Shield Of The Stormwing or Bulwark of the Deathwing. He'll have a Super Duper Sunwrath Pistol  Range 24", Pistol 3-4, Plasma Statline(s)  - potentially "early" Plasma with one always overcharge never overheat statline. 

Bladeguard veterans/lieutenants already have the heavy bolt pistol/neo volkite pistol, so that rule of two is well broken already. He may still have the Fusil Actinaeus as his sidearm.

I rather like the idea of the shield myself, especially if they get the design right. New armor is fine, not too fussed about that. I already have the 30k model, so I rather prefer it have different armor and silhouette.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

• 1 month later...

Now that The Lion is back and we've seen new Terminators.

What do we think we'll get now?  Personally, I'm curious about Lionguard.  I hope they aren't limited to a unit of two because I love to build my armies around a core of veterans, for example,my Black Templars are based around Bladeguard Veterans right now.  So I'm hoping they're robed and decked out like BGV are, but with Dark Angels iconography and in units of 3-5/6.

What about Fallen?  Do y'all think they'll get refreshed and look like Cypher does in Mk III with cloaks?  

Edited by Mike8404

• 3 weeks later...

So the Lion's Guard ended up not being anything. I've had a few thoughts given some information from the new Arks of Omen book.

One character I'd like to see added would be Grand Master Nakir of the Consecrators. I think it'd be a nice foil to secondary successors, like Gabriel Seth does for the Flesh Tearers or Pedro Kantor for the Crimson Fists.

Playing into the forefront right now given the new book however,

Spoiler

Will Borz come in as a character model? That'd be spicy. I don't think that's the last we'll see of him, perhaps he could be a Black Library Celebration miniature? He could be a great pick for that.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

2 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

So the Lion's Guard ended up not being anything. I've had a few thoughts given some information from the new Arks of Omen book.

One character I'd like to see added would be Grand Master Nakir of the Consecrators. I think it'd be a nice foil to secondary successors, like Gabriel Seth does for the Flesh Tearers or Pedro Kantor for the Crimson Fists.

Playing into the forefront right now given the new book however,

Reveal hidden contents

Will Borz come in as a character model? That'd be spicy. I don't think that's the last we'll see of him, perhaps he could be a Black Library Celebration miniature? He could be a great pick for that.

Good thought regarding the spoiler, but I doubt it. If Nakir gets a model, I'd argue Primaris Belial, Ezekiel, Asmodai and maybe even Sapphon would get theirs before Nakir got something. But it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

I think the Lionguard at their worst would just get a datasheet name change, and at it's best they will be like a 5-10pt upgrade to give them something flashy? Maybe the bodyguard keyword, if that's still around? 

Just now, Skywrath said:

Good thought regarding the spoiler, but I doubt it. If Nakir gets a model, I'd argue Primaris Belial, Ezekiel, Asmodai and maybe even Sapphon would get theirs before Nakir got something. But it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

I think the Lionguard at their worst would just get a datasheet name change, and at it's best they will be like a 5-10pt upgrade to give them something flashy? Maybe the bodyguard keyword, if that's still around? 

Oh I expect them updated too, they're just less interesting to discuss in my opinion.

GW wants to migrate finecast resin miniatures over, so they're likely simply for that reason.

Valrak reckons Belial, Asmodai and Ezekiek get new model but is unsure on Sammael.

If that is accurate I'm holding out hope for new Ravenwing and Sammael being the character accompanying the release at some point in the far future.

I would like to see the entire command level models joining the new Azrael as they are all older than Dante (the character not the model).  Then they should start on updating the rank and file models, but in a proper DA style similar to what they did with the BT.

Since GW seem to be on a path to restore legion size groupings by calling together the successor Chapters (Unforgiven, IF, even UM via restored 500 worlds of Ultramarine) in recent times, I believe it’s important that they release character models for several of the successors.  While this should be an across the line release strategy it is particularly needed for something as close knit as the Unforgiven.

A new transfer sheet is also a must.  I’d like to see a second one covering several of the successors as well.

In time I imagine that we'll see all the remaining named characters (Ezekiel, Belial, Asmodai, and Sammael) refreshed especially since I think most of those are finecast and some were previously metal. I hope with the new terminator revamp that in time Deathwing will return. With the outrider kit I don't imagine it's long before Ravenwing come into play. Besides characters, I don't think we will see any chapter specific units until the main shared units are complete. There's still a fair bit missing (Neophyte/Scout Equivalent, Jump Pack Marines, Melee Terminators, Vanguard Vets.) What successor chapters would be likely to see love for the Dark Angels? Imperial Fists have Black Templar/Crimson Fists and Blood Angels have the Flesh Tearers. What is the most standout one for Dark Angels? Angels of Absolution, Redemption, and Vengeance have been there from the beginning but I am not sure any of them stand out in the same way as the other chapters I mentioned. Consecrators maybe but it would seem weird to incorporate older tech into the newer Primaris but I guess that might be enough to differentiate it.

My biggest hopes for the upgrades right now are for Interrogator Chaplains, Deathwing and Ravenwing. As a kid the Interrogator Chaplain Seraphicus model was amazing but it's proportions have not aged well.

Since they have upgraded the Terminator model, I’m curious to see if Deathwing get a whole new kit, or just an upgrade sprue. I would think they’ll Primarize the Ravenwing upgrade sprue too. Thinking that deathwing knights is too new of a kit to replace yet. Other than chapter master types, there have only been a small handful of Primaris characters (Tiggy maybe the only one?). That seems logical they would move on to other named characters.

EDIT: I want Asmodai to get his ridiculous sword back.

Edited by bigtrouble