1000 pt game against demons

Here’s the list I’m looking at right now.

Army traits

veteran geurrilas 

elite sharp shooters

WLT

grand strategist

HQs

castellan w/ plas pistol powersword

command squad bolter, power sword, relic vox, plasma gun, GL, banner

tank commander- demolisher PCs, lascannon

troops

CST x2 vox, plas, melta, autoguns

IS x2 HB plasma vox. RL melta vox

Elites

kasrkin plasma, flamer, power sword

FA

scout sentinel multilasers x2 chainsaw, HK

HS

FOB malleus

transports

chimera heavy stubber, HB

total 975

I told opponent to bring whatever they want, could be knights or deamons of tzeench

if you have any suggestions other units I have available

exterminator

2 battle tanks

basilisk

3 HWS AC, mortars, lascannons

taurox w/ ACs

baneblade

Edited by duz_
Added tag

As is I'd be tempted to fill the points with an astropath for the command squad. It's just a way use up those last 25 points and that might give you a command point. 

For a deeper dive I'd question using the demolisher over the battle tank because the commander would benefit from the gatekeeper relic and because of the short range and swing nature of the demolisher. Also what units are you hoping to buff with it's order? The chimera or sentinels? The chimera would benefit from reroll 1's but is a poor target for an order because it's not a damage dealer. The sentinels would probably prefer the take aim infantry order and the buffs it can take from infantry aura. Do you actually need a commander? I'd also be tempted to replace the PCS with HBS to save an extra 10 points. 

Have you chosen power swords because of modeling? Is so ignore this...  Power swords are a bit rubbish.  15 points could be spent elsewhere. 

I'd be tempted to swap out the IS heavy weapons for lascanons.

What trait have you given the kasrkin? Are the weapons choices modeling as well? I'm looking at the flamer as well as the power sword. 

Same question for the sentinels.... is that how they're modeled? The HK's are ok but I'd lose the chain swords.

I'd be interested in how the fob does. No real opinion on them at the moment. 

What are you planning on doing with the chimera? If you're not using it for a squad and the officer (I wouldn't!), then why not use the taurox?

I just figure you could probably afford a HWT with potential savings. 

34 minutes ago, Santaclauswitz said:

As is I'd be tempted to fill the points with an astropath for the command squad. It's just a way use up those last 25 points and that might give you a command point. 

For a deeper dive I'd question using the demolisher over the battle tank because the commander would benefit from the gatekeeper relic and because of the short range and swing nature of the demolisher. Also what units are you hoping to buff with it's order? The chimera or sentinels? The chimera would benefit from reroll 1's but is a poor target for an order because it's not a damage dealer. The sentinels would probably prefer the take aim infantry order and the buffs it can take from infantry aura. Do you actually need a commander? I'd also be tempted to replace the PCS with HBS to save an extra 10 points. 

Have you chosen power swords because of modeling? Is so ignore this...  Power swords are a bit rubbish.  15 points could be spent elsewhere. 

I'd be tempted to swap out the IS heavy weapons for lascanons.

What trait have you given the kasrkin? Are the weapons choices modeling as well? I'm looking at the flamer as well as the power sword. 

Same question for the sentinels.... is that how they're modeled? The HK's are ok but I'd lose the chain swords.

I'd be interested in how the fob does. No real opinion on them at the moment. 

What are you planning on doing with the chimera? If you're not using it for a squad and the officer (I wouldn't!), then why not use the taurox?

I just figure you could probably afford a HWT with potential savings. 

Don’t have an astropath or psyker.

power swords just because that’s what the models have.

since idk which army he’s bringing right now I figured the demolisher would be better at killing knights.

i don’t want to spend CP on a second relic for the TC tbh. I plan on using a lot of strats if necessary. If he brings the demons I’ll probably swap the demolisher for an executioner since AP doesn’t play a role in killing demons I’d rather have the reliable shots and damage.

i figured with the TC I could provide tank or regimental orders to the sentinels depending on the situation. (For example would I rather -1 to his shooting, or lower his movement to keep him at bay?

the chimera is going to transport the Kasrkin and castellan.

kasrkin are getting mechanized. 

also the chimera could benefit from full throttle. Advance the chimera and get the infantry closer.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

Just spoke to my opponent.

demons got broken. If he can’t dice them he’ll bring his eldar.

so seems he’s not bringing knights.

only one sentinel will have the saw because the second one isn’t modeled with one.

the saw seems like it could make a bit of a difference if he chooses to tie up the sentinels in melee.

So I was thinking about your list and what you've got in your collection.... how about this

Armoured superiority

Mechanized infantry

HQ

Castellan wt superior tactical training

Troops 

CST x1

Elite 

Kasrkin x1

Fast attack

Scout sentinels x2

Transport

Chimera

Taurox

Heavy

LR x3

Bulk it with vehicle upgrades and tank ace. 

The strength of your collection is armour.  You could do something with your list without the chimera but with a couple of heavy weapons squads but it feels a bit static. 

Edited by Santaclauswitz
Typo

1 hour ago, Santaclauswitz said:

So I was thinking about your list and what you've got in your collection.... how about this

Armoured superiority

Mechanized infantry

HQ

Castellan wt superior tactical training

Troops 

CST x1

Elite 

Kasrkin x1

Fast attack

Scout sentinels x2

Transport

Chimera

Taurox

Heavy

LR x3

Bulk it with vehicle upgrades and tank ace. 

The strength of your collection is armour.  You could do something with your list without the chimera but with a couple of heavy weapons squads but it feels a bit static. 

My main goal is to test out the new units from the cadia stands box.

i plan on going mech infantry in general for my army going forward after getting my hands on a few more transports.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so finished the game.

first 2 turns mostly went my way.

his blood thirsted failed a 5” charge.

i killed a bunch of demonettes shooting.

killed 2 fiends(?) an exalted flamer. 

Kasrkin and chimera wiped a unit of 5 dogs.

sentinels didn’t do much but grab an objective with their forward deployment.

exterminator did pretty good, chimera did pretty good, and malleus rocket launcher did ok before he hopped a unit 10” plus charge destroyed them in melee(normal tzeench flamers I think? He was proxying them so can’t even describe what they looked like)

in the end I was actually playing for objectives this time, but I lost by a few points.

the combination of small board and terrain heavy just gives too much advantage to melee armies.

I think I could have done much better if I had more transports and gone full mech.

And I just realized i completely forgot about my sharpshooters rerolls -_-

idk what they can change aside from table size and recommended terrain layouts i'm not sure how they can balance the game for ranged shooty armies for it to be fairer when they face off against fast melee armies.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven