Some new 10th edition insight, take with a grain of salt.

On the topic of competitive play and "tournament rules," the simple truth is that most players simply want a fair game. Typically, the matched play formula is the way to do that.

Wanting a fair game, and being happy about being drowned in Erratas, FAQs, Bloat and an unyielding codex-creep are not the same thing.

There is a vast swathe of players who simply want to enjoy rolling some dice in a casual setting with their friends, and to enjoy a fair game in their own time. Casual simply means not a competitive, tournament game. Casual does not mean the game should be unfair or lack any sort of balance. People often confused a casual game with a narrative driven game, again, the two aren't necessarily connected.

GW are catering to the minority who do focus on tournament gaming ahead of all other groups. Personally, I happen to be a tournament player but I have not attended any events in some time as I simply lost interest in 40k as a competitive game, and as a casual one. That's not to say it can't bring me back.

I enjoy tournaments and making the effort to travel to events half a dozen times a year, but I equally enjoy an evening of rolling dice with friends, drink in hand, with a pizza delivery on the way. That latter experience is completely ruined by the current state of the game.

On the topic of D6 - I am firmly in the belief that GW should stick to these dice. I completely understand why some people think that more granularity is going to solve the problems of 40k, but the truth is that the current hit and wound rules, as well as the model stats, are the limiting factor and not the type of dice used. Look at how much more granularity and variety has been achieved in the Horus Heresy with the new hit chart for example. In 40k there is no reason why a model can't be toughness 2 or toughness 12, 99% of units land between toughness 3 and 8 - This is GW's own poor design, not the limitation of the dice.

At this point I think 40k would be served better by having more complex and varied core rules, more simplified faction rules and rule stacks, and the ditching of the Nova inspired mission format. I'm not convinced GW have the vision to see things through, but I am hoping they do.

=][= We seem to have exhausted the discourse on actual 10th edition rumours, moving onto dice and competitive dynamics in context to the game etc. I'm sure before long we will see further rumours leaked, but until we do this'll be closed it down. =][=