Desired changes for 10th Ed

Yeah, it's rough. Very few things got better compared to the large amount that got worse. Losing DR with no replacement but other faction's still having faction wide FnP is hard to swallow. Enough for me to be bothered to the point I won't play. Which sucks, I like the game and thought there were more improvements to the core rules than steps back, or at least enough to peak my curiosity, but the neutering of my factions core ability and removing it sucks. We are slower but no where near more durable. Loyalist Marines can do Death Guard better than Death Guard.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

1 hour ago, Bulwyf said:

Yes, anyone clinging to the dream we'd be a cheap army can now wake up to the reality. More units went UP in points. It is comical. Morty at 370? I mean seriously? 

He's way overpriced. He needed to drop over 100pts. Lost 2" movement, 2 wounds, -1D, multiple auras, strength, ap, damage, attacks, spells. He sucks at 370.

After the garbage time points update I'm glad I'm quitting. Free wargear that is not equal and set unit sizes = less balance. Nice step backwards GW. Probably did it so their terrible apps "work" better hahaha.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

My first game in 10th will be this Sunday against my friend. Not sure what he is bringing. going to trot this out:

morty 370
typhus 115
blight lord 5 for 175
Blight lord 5 for 175
PM 5 for 100
PM 5 for 100
PM 5 for 100
PM 5 for 100
PBC 175
PBC 175
MBH 2 for 230
Lov 115
Lov enhancement deadly pathogen 15 points
Foul blightspawn 55

total: 2000 points exactly

I expect to lose quite frankly but at least its some units I like in the fluff.

Bulwyf are you playing the base mission in the free rules, or using a different method of mission generation?
Please let us know how it goes.

I'm planning a series of 1000pt games against Orks this weekend myself.
I don't quite have enough Plague Marines for 3 full squads of 10. But it should still be  good showing.

I'm going to test run a 2k list against some marines also over the weekend. Will see how it goes, but when I look at what my son can field for 2k compared to me, I don't think I stand much chance if I'm honest. I think his blob of 10 hellblasters with the apothecary will be a pain in rear to deal with. 

The Legion style weapon loud outs of Primaris, will definitely be an issue. Getting something in to reliably neutralize them will be pivotal.

Flesh Mower Drone? Hellblasters are not great in melee, but unless it's a typo they can all takes plasma pistols now?

22 hours ago, mel_danes said:

Bulwyf are you playing the base mission in the free rules, or using a different method of mission generation?
Please let us know how it goes.

I'm planning a series of 1000pt games against Orks this weekend myself.
I don't quite have enough Plague Marines for 3 full squads of 10. But it should still be  good showing.

We are using the base mission with the free rules. He is going to use my own SW army against my DG. It should be interesting. SW are the weakest marines in 10th so far. 

Rules question:

Morty has Rotwind and the Lantern. You can shoot both at the same  time I assume reading the rules? Because otherwise even though the Lantern is his xeno pistol you would never use that over Rotwind. 

3 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Shooting phase let's you shoot every gun equipped. It's only melee where you have to pick one of your weapons. 

My friend is asking for where in the rules it says you can shoot pistols and also still do pysker attacks. I know pistols have a wording about it is the shooting weapon you can use but it is my understand psyker attacks are a separate attack from normal shooting.

Unfortunately it's another example of the Death Guard rules just not being well written for the edition. I think you might use the pistol if his target has a defense against psychics (an attached Librarian or just Thousand sons, but even then I think it's still the better choice and Lantern is effectively worthless unless he's engaged and can't use the blast power. 

20 hours ago, Bulwyf said:

Rules question:

Morty has Rotwind and the Lantern. You can shoot both at the same  time I assume reading the rules? Because otherwise even though the Lantern is his xeno pistol you would never use that over Rotwind. 

Rotwind is such a joke.  Lethal Hits and Devastating Wounds is a terrible Combo.  Rules as Written you cannot choose to ignore Lethal Hits and roll to wound to fish for the MWs.  Morty managed to deal 2 Damage to a Heavy Intercessor the first, and only, time I was able to use Rotwind.  I would have been better off shooting the Lantern.  

So I asked Goonhammer and this is their response:

Normally your friend would be correct. However because Mortarion is a MONSTER, he is exempt from the part of the rule that says you can only shoot with pistols or other guns. The rules for this are under the rules for [PISTOL] type weapons.

So...Morty can in fact shoot his pistol and also still use Rotwind.

• 3 months later...
On 6/16/2023 at 10:03 PM, Cleon said:

The real kicker for me is that they've ensured anyone who got into Death Guard with the 8th ed box that refreshed the range is now utterly hobbled if they use those minis. Oh, we gave you marines with boltguns... don't be silly you don't want those...

I have a Nurgle themed CSM force from 3rd 40K onwards. When the DG codex hit the stores I naturally inspected the list while in a GW store. A few minutes later an awful realization hit me like a ton of bricks: My Rogue Trader era chaos terminators (kombi-bolter & powerfist) were illegal loadouts. I put the book back onto the shelf with disgust and applauded myself being resilient enough to not buy the new shiny thing while I slowly but purposefully walked away.

8 hours ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

I have a Nurgle themed CSM force from 3rd 40K onwards. When the DG codex hit the stores I naturally inspected the list while in a GW store. A few minutes later an awful realization hit me like a ton of bricks: My Rogue Trader era chaos terminators (kombi-bolter & powerfist) were illegal loadouts. I put the book back onto the shelf with disgust and applauded myself being resilient enough to not buy the new shiny thing while I slowly but purposefully walked away.

The other thing to do in such a case is just use them as Chaos Marines.

It's what I'd advise anyone that is starting a Emperor's Children force in the past bit to do, for instance. Granted, of course a 3rd ed+ army is far enough back to not have the kind of information to make that kind of call, but the writing is on the wall for EC and WE before that to not start an army and hope it'd carry over...