With all the attention paid to Deathwing, what about Ravenwing only?

Tacitus

A lot of folks are looking at Deathwing only, full time transhuman etc, but I'm thinking Ravenwing is a Sleeper army.  I came up with a first pass - I like the two Jetfighters as a distration buzzing in the back of the brain, plus two Avenger bolters get pretty important given the model count.   Big Bike Squad, Big Bike Squad, Signature unit of one Sammael, Talonmaster, 5 Black Knights, and 3 Chapter Command for the surgical strikes, a Darkshroud and two Vengerance for flank/harassment, plus the above mentioned Jetfighters for annoyance. 

Spoiler

++ Arks of Omen Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Dark Angels) [115 PL, 1CP, 1,990pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Dark Angels

Arks of Omen Compulsory Type: Fast Attack

Battle Size [6CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Detachment Command Cost

Game Type: 5. Chapter Approved: Arks of Omen

+ No Force Org Slot +

Ravenwing Ancient [6 PL, 105pts]: Chapter Command: Chapter Ancient
. Black Knight Bike: Plasma Talon

Ravenwing Apothecary [6 PL, -2CP, 120pts]: Acquittal, Chapter Command:  Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Stratagem: Relic of the Chapter

Ravenwing Champion [5 PL, -2CP, 70pts]: Blade of Triumph, Chapter Command:  Chapter Champion, Martial Exemplar, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter, Stratagem: Relic

+ HQ +

Ravenwing Talonmaster [9 PL, 160pts]

Sammael [8 PL, 135pts]: 4-6. Master of Manoeuvre, Warlord

+ Elites +

Ravenwing Black Knights [12 PL, -1CP, 150pts]: Ravenwing Black Knight, Ravenwing Black Knight, Ravenwing Black Knight, Ravenwing Black Knight
. Ravenwing Huntmaster: Master-Crafted Weapon, Power sword, Stratagem: Marked for Command

+ Fast Attack +

Bike Squad [14 PL, 280pts]
. Attack Bike: Multi-melta
. Biker Sergeant: Bolt pistol
. 5x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Twin boltgun
. Space Marine Biker w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Bike Squad [14 PL, 280pts]
. Attack Bike: Multi-melta
. Biker Sergeant: Bolt pistol
. 5x Space Marine Biker w/Chainsword: 5x Astartes Chainsword, 5x Frag & Krak grenades, 5x Twin boltgun

Invader ATV Squad [4 PL, 70pts]
. Invader ATV: Multi-melta

Ravenwing Darkshroud [7 PL, 110pts]: Heavy bolter

Ravenwing Land Speeder Vengeance [6 PL, 100pts]: Heavy bolter

Ravenwing Land Speeder Vengeance [6 PL, 100pts]: Heavy bolter

+ Flyer +

Nephilim Jetfighter [9 PL, 155pts]: Avenger mega bolter

Nephilim Jetfighter [9 PL, 155pts]: Avenger mega bolter

++ Total: [115 PL, 1CP, 1,990pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Its only 1990, instead of closer to 2K.  But I like it, the big Jinking Bike squads are likely to get ignored in favor of the Elite Character+Bike Cannonball - which also Jinks.  Then there's the three speeders who I suspect even more likely to get ignored - or draw more attention than they should because they look like soft targets.  But everything that's moving Jinks.  Now that you don't have to leave Devastator, they can all get away with the 4++ Jink and still shoot. 

Edited by Tacitus
Adding Tags - Updating list for error

On 2/11/2023 at 11:07 AM, Tacitus said:

Also just figured out I think you can switch the Jets to Hover Mode, and advance to get the 4++

Nephilim Jetfighters don't have Hover Jet (but Dark Talons do), but you can Advance with Flyers anyway, so you can get the Jink 4++ regardless.

I just watched a Mountain Miniatures battle report from a few weeks ago where Steve took a tuned ravenwing list with sammy, apothecary, two talonmasters, two land speeder vengeances, a dark talon, a nephilim, a huge block of black knights, and plasma/melta bike squads with melta attack bikes.

It killed two chaos knights turn one. 

It may struggle against go-wide lists with more difficult target priority than knights, but it was extremely lethal.

Edited by bigtrouble

Something else I just figured out is you can put Inner Circle (Sammael, Talonmaster, BlackKnightsRW Company Command) in a Deathwing "Only" list and still get the Deathwing ObSec, but you can't do it vice versa - so Deathwing Only can still get some Black Knights etc. Though you may run into Chapter Command 1 Captain issues. 

5 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I agree, I would rather add a smattering of Ravenwing to a Deathwing list to provide some mobility rather than give up the perma-THP.

Yeah, it only works the one direction.  But you wouldn't have to give up THP anyway.  Its part of Inner Circle for the Deathwing (technically all Inner Circle INFANTRY but they're few and far between in non-deathwing choices- the only non-Deathwing INNER CIRCLE I know of are the Ravenwing ones mentioned above, and they're not Infantry).