Farsight (+Arks of Omen/Boarding Patrol)

This is awesome, definitely picking it up. I had started Farsight Enclaves a while back, this is what I was waiting for.

Need to finish painting that devilfish now...

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

There've always been suit variants if you're au fait with Forgeworld (not as many as there used to be *grumble grumble*), so Farsight appearing significantly different to the standard crisis isn't a big deal imo.

Even though it involves yet another tactical rock, the pose is cool.

The cherry blossom and pose are a little on the nose (I can't look at it and not hear stereotypical Japanese sound effects), but the model does look damn cool. They're dropping the pretence and going all in on the anime mecha look, and I like it. Though as others have said, kind of puts the Crisis suits to shame, they could do with an update.

Fantastic looking model, and a wonderful update in plastic.  I’m intrigued by the unicursal six-pointed star that the Dark Angels call the hexagrammaton being on his armor, and I wonder what significance it has in light of potential Chaos influence/repulsion for Farsight himself, coupled with the Dawn Blade, and his return to Arthas Moloch.

The Supernova suit looks so nice by itself (and so much better, sensible, and capable of fully functioning than the weird AI linked mini- to large arms on Shadowsun) and alongside those Crisis Suits!  It’d be cool if GW leaned into the suits a bit more for the Enclaves and brought out another suit kit as well, maybe an Elite bodyguard upgrade over the standard Crisis beyond the Iridium, to rock alongside Farsight as part of the Eight or some such.  The current Crisis Kit is actually pretty nice looking, but an “appearance” upgrade kit that could also you some neat alternate looks or something would be very cool of GW to make.

As far as the “cherry blossoms” - it looks like that because of how they painted it.  The upsweeping scales of the bark don’t resemble the actual tree genus/cultivars, so if you painted those clusters some other color (such as dark green or blue), it would look pretty alien unless you are dead-set in your head with only seeing cherry blossoms.  That doesn’t mean they make any more sense on the base than the apparent bonsai trees on the bases of the Aelves from AoS, but they don’t have to look like cherry blossoms if you don’t want them to.

3 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

The model itself is really rather good. The base is a touch excessive though. Tactical rocks are one thing, but tactical cherry trees?

yeah, they pushed that "tau are an anime 40k army so we give it a cherry tree" joke a bit too hard IMO

New Farsight looks great, and he makes the crisis suits look comically dated even though they're relatively modern sculpts. The ochre paint scheme, MICR-style decals, and boxy "still figuring out CAD" styling of the hands and missile pods make it look like a vision of robots from the late 80s, sculpted in the late 90s, and released in the early 2000s.

Tau is always in a tough spot since the Gundam comparison is so clear and so unfavorable for GW. I don't build Gundam models, but every time I see one I'm blown away by how well they're designed and how many sprues of plastic you get for the dollar.

Has anyone done a breakdown comparing Bandai and GW as businesses? Bandai's topline revenue obviously benefits from Elden Rings, but their toy business looks to be roughly a little less than 2X the size of GW. Does that level unlock a new benefits from scale? Are they beneficiaries of government industrial policy? 

2 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

I actually disagree with Crisis suits needing an update; they're pretty modern, decently poseable and have a lot of options. Really I don't see what new ones could offer other than looking different.

Current Crisis suits are pretty great, even with this new (awesome) Farsight model. I would take new ones though ha!

1 minute ago, chapter master 454 said:

They literally just reused the old tau start collecting box but yeeted the etheral and put in farsight...feels on brand for them!

That old start collecting was dope if you played FSE though, except for the Ethereal, although still worth it even if you chucked the Ethereal.

So it's a great box for that subfaction.

4 hours ago, Gamiel said:

As one that liked the original concept that T'au was a coalition of different species (with the tau as most equal) do I find that sad to hear since there is only one species reprcented in that box.

Unfortunately everyone bought just Tau, so the client races fell by the wayside a bit. Besides, it would be just like Tzaangor or the various cultists.

Really like this model, except maybe the "face" of the suit, but id just paint it like a boxy optic. Really does make the crisis suits look bad framing him though, maybe time for a new model update like the stealth suits? 

I know I'm picking the nittiest of nits here, but I can't help it: He's facing the same direction as Shadowsun... which means they'll look goofy side-by-side on the shelf. The disappointment is real, I was hoping for a duel vibe like Jain Zar and Drazhar have.

Edited by andes