10th Edition Tyranid Rumours (Boxset)

Tbf I did read a rumour recently about GW trying to bring back actual characters for Tyranids. 

Old One Eye may actually be this screamer killer carnifex 

additionally the Norn Emissary sounds more like the Doom of Malantai to me. 

and there was mention about Red Terror getting a revamp. 

it’s possible these might actually be where the rumours are coming from.

and GW did phase out Shrikes from FW and ripper swarms from their main store (even though you can still get a much better variant from FW for ripper swarms) 

I suspect that the Shrikes are coming back in plastic form, with the additional rumour about Tyranids getting a LoW it’s really up in the air, but Tyranids are due to get a supreme commander unit and a super heavy answer to big things. 

10th edition is sounding like it’s due to be the age of Nids

just like with necrons in 9th, no rumour engines for the edition box again huh

7 hours ago, Evil Eye said:

New Hormagaunts has me concerned. I feel the current ones have the same thing going as with the AOS/WHFB goblins, where even though they could theoretically be better, they're meant to be taken in such numbers that having them be too finely detailed (and presumably more expensive) would honestly make them less fit for purpose. An individual gaunt (or goblin) might not be the most impressive model in the world, but en masse they look great, and realistically the biggest issue I have with the current models is moldlines. I wouldn't want new Hormagaunts to be over-detailed to the point it makes them more of a faff to paint, and likewise I'd very annoyed if they monoposed them; one of the real strengths of the Tyranids is the balljointed arms, and if we end up with there being a very obvious repeated pose for every however-many Hormagaunts, it'll be a bit obnoxious.

yeah, fodder is fodder after all
new ones most likely would be more $/mini for something you'd move in fistfuls

6 hours ago, Flaherty said:

@Old-Four-Arms 8th Ed. had 22 Space Marines, Indomitus had 23.

I guess 17 normal models and a big dread are roughly equivalent. Strikes me as a slight downgrade from Indomitus and a slight improvement of the 9th Ed. Command Edition. Perhaps they've learned that "Launch Boxes" aren't a great idea based on how fast Indomitus sold and how long Dominion has stuck around and will follow the 30K model of a super premium starter bundle that hangs around for a while.

One thing to note is that both Dark Imperium and Indomitus had a main HQ and then a 3-man retinue of extra leader figs – lieutenants, librarians, ancients, etc. Maybe a surprise or two awaits!

I could be wrong, but I thought as far as the Space Marine box rumors, Val made a point of saying that these were the apparent contents of the big starter box, not the launch box. So the lineup he talked about was what will be in the equivalent of the current Command Edition box set. Otherwise, I can't see GW dropping from five characters in the Indomitus set all the way down to two in Leviathan.

So I'm still expecting a couple more character models (probably a Gravis or Terminator Lieutenant among them) and one more squad, although the presence of the Dreadnought really does throw that into question as there was no vehicle of any kind on the Space Marine side in Dark Imperium or Indomitus.

Edited by Lord Nord

9 hours ago, Alternis said:

Tbf I did read a rumour recently about GW trying to bring back actual characters for Tyranids. 

Old One Eye may actually be this screamer killer carnifex 

additionally the Norn Emissary sounds more like the Doom of Malantai to me. 
and there was mention about Red Terror getting a revamp. 
it’s possible these might actually be where the rumours are coming from.

and GW did phase out Shrikes from FW and ripper swarms from their main store (even though you can still get a much better variant from FW for ripper swarms) 

I suspect that the Shrikes are coming back in plastic form, with the additional rumour about Tyranids getting a LoW it’s really up in the air, but Tyranids are due to get a supreme commander unit and a super heavy answer to big things. 

10th edition is sounding like it’s due to be the age of Nids

The characters are present in the 9th ed book, however current models don't exist for them, and they are more 'archetypes'. I don't believe that the Screamer Killer rumoured is onld one eye, however it lines up with the 'Macrofex' rumour that came out maybe a year ago, and it might be possibly a multi OOE/Macrofex/screamer kit, to make a larger fex. 

i wanted them to bring back the screamer killer for ages i spitballed the idea of bringing it back for GSC as a sort of Genestealer purstrain / Carnafex analogue that the cult could unchain and unleash during the final days of their uprising. 

Is 4x scything talons and a bio-plasma attack not currently an option for carnifexs? I haven't kept up with the tyanids since 6th ed.

Thanks, I was confused by talk of it coming back as I thought it was an odd thing to have cut.

I'm excited by the idea of new gaunts. Recent GW kits fit together very well with few visible mould lines so I believe it could be an objectively better kit for building a swarm. Whether that's worth the likely increase in cost is anyone's guess.

13 minutes ago, Cactus said:

Thanks, I was confused by talk of it coming back as I thought it was an odd thing to have cut.

I'm excited by the idea of new gaunts. Recent GW kits fit together very well with few visible mould lines so I believe it could be an objectively better kit for building a swarm. Whether that's worth the likely increase in cost is anyone's guess.

Depends how monopose the models are, and what kind of options come in the box. The recent Ork Boyz kit is an abomination, for example.

Sorry, I forgot which topic I was in. :blush:

The current termagants are the Jes Goodwin sculpts from 2000. They don't have many options for posing beyond look left, right or forwards and no alternative weapon options. Likewise the hormagaunts. I would be sad to lose the ball and socket shoulders but it might be worth it to guarantee the centre of gravity is over the base.

I realise some new kits have been downgrades in terms of customisability and options but I challenge anyone to compare the sparse gaunt sprues with something like the skitarii rangers/vanguard or eldar guardians and tell me with a straight face that GW will make the next iteration of gaunts worse.

29 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Termagaunts are a ripe kit for a simple push fit design given how many you might have to build and paint.

Also ones of the rumored changes to gants was having multiple gants on each base. (Which I hope is true).

Say if each base was 60 mm and had 5 gants on it.

Certainly increases the speed model movement happens

6 minutes ago, Triszin said:

Also ones of the rumored changes to gants was having multiple gants on each base. (Which I hope is true).

This could help a lot of horde units in general tbh, degrading profiles/weapons, base per 3/4/5 guys.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the current kit, as it was the first plastic kit I bought for my Tyranids decades ago. Certainly it could benefit from updated sculpts though.

Just hope they keep the ability to pose the arms and heads, whatever else they want to do. Something as simple as that makes a very big difference to horde armies.

Limited poses sort of work for 5-10 model squads. Anything over that and it becomes painfully obvious.

1 hour ago, phandaal said:

I have a soft spot in my heart for the current kit, as it was the first plastic kit I bought for my Tyranids decades ago. Certainly it could benefit from updated sculpts though.

Just hope they keep the ability to pose the arms and heads, whatever else they want to do. Something as simple as that makes a very big difference to horde armies.

Limited poses sort of work for 5-10 model squads. Anything over that and it becomes painfully obvious.

The 9E launch had a really large increase in quality for push-fit over previous offerings, a massive increase in sculpt quality in my opinion. I wonder if there will be similar gains with some degree of further options without sacrificing too much?

18 hours ago, Triszin said:

The rumour was for "Hypergants" with a swarm on 105mm base - I hadn't actually thought about them wholesale replacing termagants with this kind of unit, but it might make sense seeing double hormagaunt rumours and zero new termagant rumours. 

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

The rumour was for "Hypergants" with a swarm on 105mm base - I hadn't actually thought about them wholesale replacing termagants with this kind of unit, but it might make sense seeing double hormagaunt rumours and zero new termagant rumours. 

It would also look really awesome if it is sculpted as a mass of gaunts hurtling at you

Always nice to see Valraks rumours.....he has been enjoying an absolutely golden track record on these  for some time now...thanks V.

Wasnt there a mention somewhere of a new super swarmlord or similar uber character, to go toe to toe with all the primarchs (loyalist and traitor), nuns on big stompy robot suit, and ridiculous lord solar on a metal horse?

On 3/10/2023 at 2:14 PM, beefeb said:

Always nice to see Valraks rumours.....he has been enjoying an absolutely golden track record on these  for some time now...thanks V.

Wasnt there a mention somewhere of a new super swarmlord or similar uber character, to go toe to toe with all the primarchs (loyalist and traitor), nuns on big stompy robot suit, and ridiculous lord solar on a metal horse?

Don't forget Szarekh and Ghazghkull to add to GW's policy/mission/intent(?) of having a centrepiece model for each faction.

Would love it to be true since swarmy doesn't look special enough in his model now, he is just a hive tyrant with four bone swords. Him having hsi own box independent of the other HT would be cool. The best murderburg of the galaxy deserves it.

Knowing EC are almost certainly going  to get their own codex+Fulgrim next edition the xenos armies are the ones that would now need to also have a leader with an awesome model represented in the tabletop.

10th edition and tyranids update can't arrive fast enough.

Edited by Jscarlos18