Refreshes for the big chapters coming

17 minutes ago, Cactus said:

I don't know the details of the Hounds of Morkai, but if GW packaged the new terminators with an extra sprue and called it a Deathwing squad, even with a price bump over the vanilla kit, I would be very pleased.

I don't see why "existing kit + new sprue = new unit' is so objectionable.

Kill Team has a set a precedent for this so I see it as kind of inevitable. Every other killteam released is simply an older kit with a new sprue for options it was definitely done as a cost saving method and has been financially successfull. I doubt anyone complained with Legionaires getting cool two handed axes and baby psykers. No ones gonna bitch about an upgrade sprue that adds actual value to a unit.

42 minutes ago, Cactus said:

I don't know the details of the Hounds of Morkai, but if GW packaged the new terminators with an extra sprue and called it a Deathwing squad, even with a price bump over the vanilla kit, I would be very pleased.

I don't see why "existing kit + new sprue = new unit' is so objectionable.

It also comes down to rules as well.

why I’m so annoyed is primaris DC are identical to normal intercessors ir assault intercessors in their loadout, meanwhile historically they’ve regularly been able to have a lot of special options and upgrades throughout the various editions, so it’s a combination of intercessor+X on shoulder pads=‘unique unit’ that I don’t like. Sure you also get access to the black rage rules but that just doesn’t tickle my testes the same way FB DC do.

now let’s say the new SG or equivalent kit is the new jump melee kit with an upgrade sprue, that would be ok to me IF the sprue and rules allowed for an interesting loadout that’s a buff compared to the base kit, as well as came with wings, and very obviously BA helmets.

jump melee kit+shoulder pads and a single fancy but standard weapon option as a unique kit/unit just won’t be acceptable to me.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

30 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I just want to say Blood Angels had a seperate Honour Guard unit to Sanguinary Guard they had Jump packs and a banner bearer and apothecary and acted as command squads at the company level also when Ultramarines Honour Guard first showed up in a codex it was a generic unit for any of the regular chapters however the the Ultramarines had much more of them (I made like 20 of them and was super pissed when 8th took them away) and that's what gave rise to the Victrix Guard formation wich with the new detachment system we could very likely see again but due to the nature of the new detachment system they won't be locked to any one chapter. Honour Guard should come back as a Primaris unit for all Chapters but that said I'd love to see the actual Victrix Honour Guard get expanded beyond just the two bodyguards Calgar has.

The command squad can be your honor guard, command squad is just a generic name. After all in a BA army if you take a command squad they’ll have special options and lore-wise should have gold helmets. Might have lost their JPs but whatever, some things come and go as editions change.

just like the Cadian shock trooper kit is just a generic name, in my army they’re still arkepeli troopers, maybe I’ll differentiate them as assault troopers since they have a different loadout.

Thanks for the replies. I agree that Death Company being just intercessors with different pauldrons is poor in comparison with the options they used to have.

In summary, is this what people like/dislike about the idea?

Existing kit + upgrade sprue with new options/rules = good.

Existing kit + purely cosmetic sprue = greedy cash-grab.

Existing kit + an optional cosmetic upgrade sprue available separately = cool modelling options for people who don't mind spending a bit more for some extra parts.

"If the rules are poor I don't like it" is surely uncontroversial and applies to any kit? Regardless of whether or not it reuses existing parts.

It's tough because I dont think DA and BA need special model kits for standard infantry the way Templars needed them for Crusaders and the Space Wolves will need them to make for Blood Claws/Grey Hunters. BA had its own Tactical Marine kit at some point and seemed kind of silly because it wasn't doing anything an upgrade sprue couldn't do while Dark Angels subsisted fine on the regular old Tactical kit.

I think probably just doing a Primaris Death Company box again like last time would work great whereas Dark Angels could get get a new Primaris Company veteran box.

I expect the Ravenwing part of a Dark Angels refresh to be components on an upgrade sprue. The Outriders’ bikes are big pieces of plastic that can’t be changed much, but the riders are separate and pieces of them could be substituted along with other bits, ornaments, and wings.

39 minutes ago, davextreme said:

I expect the Ravenwing part of a Dark Angels refresh to be components on an upgrade sprue. The Outriders’ bikes are big pieces of plastic that can’t be changed much, but the riders are separate and pieces of them could be substituted along with other bits, ornaments, and wings.

Aren't the only outriders still pushfit?

8 hours ago, DesuVult said:

Aren't the only outriders still pushfit?

7 hours ago, Wispy said:

Yup. Push fit, easy to build.

And that's why I won't care if Ravenwing or White Scar upgrades are coming unless a MPK for Outriders is also announced.

Edited by jaxom
Improved clarity

6 hours ago, Wispy said:

It's tough because I dont think DA and BA need special model kits for standard infantry the way Templars needed them for Crusaders and the Space Wolves will need them to make for Blood Claws/Grey Hunters. BA had its own Tactical Marine kit at some point and seemed kind of silly because it wasn't doing anything an upgrade sprue couldn't do while Dark Angels subsisted fine on the regular old Tactical kit.

I can go both ways on this, but I think it would be better that all major first founding chapters should have a kit like the BA tactical box than all the chapters just have standard kits with the current upgrade packs. You get more out of it than a standard upgrade kit. It’s been a long time for me, but I remember the kit was around the same price as the standard tactical squad, and offered far more than what a tactical squad plus upgrade kit would provide. 
Now if the upgrade kit provided far more than the current upgrade kits provide I would lean more in your direction.

Man, I really do hope GW decide to support chapters more with upgrade sprues in the future.

Imagine upgrade sets that allow us to make chapter specific Honour Guard, Veterans, and even entirely new units.

The tank and weapon upgrade sets in the Heresy are one of the best things about that range.

On 3/31/2023 at 6:07 PM, Orange Knight said:

The poor Crimson Fists are the only codex chapter without a new model since 8th began.

The Flesh Tearers haven't recieved a model either. The Blood Angels Death Company Intercessors are usable by Flesh Tearers, however I'm loathed to even call them an update as they're literally just regular intercessros with the upgrade sprue. I agree with your points though.