Books YOU would like to see published in 10th Ed.

Hello, all! Disregard this post if something similar has been posted already, but I'm brand new to B&C so here goes :)

A lot is happening with the Lion, Vashtorr, and the Arks of Omen story at the moment, but aside from the obligatory Lion book and the inevitable Ultra book about fighting 'nids in Pacificus, what is everyone looking forward to/hoping for from Black Library in the current timeline- through the end of 10th? GW has to have the brotherly reunion at some point and a lot of folks are still waiting for the third Bequin book, not to mention the Blood Angels'/ Dante's new role in Nihilus. I'd love to hear your hopes & dreams, leave them below!

40 minutes ago, Roomsky said:

The Votann need a book, first and foremost - it's a bit embarrassing they still don't have any coverage but the Lion's book is launching with his model. As a non-codex reader, I still know nothing about them.

As a codex reader, I also know nothing about the Votann. That codex was quite skimpy on the lore

My hoping and coping list

Era Indomitus stuff

- Details on what Luther is doing in the Somnium Stars

- Exploration of a full Chapter that actively rejected Primaris, and seeing their own thoughts on those who did

- Conclusion of the Pariah Crusade that more or less got forgotten in favor of Arks of Omen

- Seeing what Bile has been up to with the advent of Primaris, it's sad that Reynolds wouldn't be doing but hopefully someone can take up the reigns

Stuff for Other Eras

- More Sabbat Worlds stuff (maybe a focus on the Narmenians similar to the Volpone novel)

- Guymer to finish up his Iron Hands trilogy; been waiting for 5 years to finally see the conclusion

I just want them to keep going through the timeline Dawn of Fire-style, supplying a spine through the Era Indomitus that can serve as a reference point for all the other novels coming out. And I certainly want them to include novels about events from Arks of Omen, Psychic Awakening and whatever the next narrative arc is going to be called. That stuff should not be exclusively told in studio fluff sections.

Other than that: Let authors tackle what they're passionate about, and give Fehervari more freedom to write the Coil

I echo Roomsky, and I'm going to bang this drum yet again. 

I knew very little about the Votann until I started looking into them to write some crappy fanfic. I had very little interest in them before that and was essentially doing it just to prove I could (spite is a really healthy and powerful motivator). Just that cursory reading and dipping into their 'community' hooked me something fierce. There's so much potential there for the faction, there's so much engagement and difference within the Leagues themselves, and so much less of the usual 'conquest' narratives that tend to hamstring a lot of other factions. The Votann are out exploring and exploiting, with a little colonisation by force as a cherry on top, rather than all the other expansionist space empires, either established or nascent. 

If the first Leagues book is even modestly competent, I think they'll leap in popularity. People just need a little more detail, a bit of a narrative to follow, and it'll take off. Hashtag to the moon, hashtag diamond hands.

42 minutes ago, wecanhaveallthree said:

If the first Leagues book is even modestly competent, I think they'll leap in popularity. People just need a little more detail, a bit of a narrative to follow, and it'll take off. Hashtag to the moon, hashtag diamond hands.

This made me laugh. But yeah, I agree, the Votann need their own novel in a bad way! Hopefully Black Library will give right of first refusal to a veteran like ADB to start the faction off strong. I think that if the first couple of books are mundane, well, the squats might get squatted, again.

1 hour ago, DarkChaplain said:

Let authors tackle what they're passionate about, and give Fehervari more freedom to write the Coil

I 100% second this, Fehervari's a master at what he does. I can't possibly get enough of his stories as a Blood Angels & Co. enjoyer.

50 minutes ago, LemartestheLost said:

This made me laugh. But yeah, I agree, the Votann need their own novel in a bad way! Hopefully Black Library will give right of first refusal to a veteran like ADB to start the faction off strong. I think that if the first couple of books are mundane, well, the squats might get squatted, again.

I knew nothing of the Votann, then watched their Loremasters videos, which didn’t really add *that* much information beyond them having possible ancient roots on Terra, AI interwoven in their society and a broad cultural diaspora with a tendency towards exploration and reclamation. All the sort of things that Adrian Tchaikovsky has incorporated so well in his work.

Anyway, yesterday he tweeted this, and I’m trying not to get my hopes up too much…

9E7A85B6-AD65-4368-A1AB-1FE9632DE2D6.jpeg

Pro-Chaos Siege Anthology, Eight Stories:

-Doombreed fights and kills 8 Emperor Titans, 64 Knights and 40 Librarians. This act of quick, symbolic brutality inspires the Daemons of Khorne to brutality kill and mutilate 8 TRILLION people on Terra throughout the Siege!!!

-Kairos uses all the tricks in Tzeentch's playbook to get an entire Titan Legion to kill itself or go insane. 9 Trillion people end up being Possessed, go insane, worship Tzeentch or turn into Chaos Spawn

-Ku'gath unleshes a plague that zombifies 49 Billion people. Malcador uses Super-Nukes and other DAOT weapons to wiped them out, killing 7 Trillion people in the process

-N'Kari's Story. Super-Perfect Six Nanosecond Six Kills! All about the Daemon's fixation/fantasy/obssession of getting the perfect act of stylishly killing 6 Emperor Titans in 6 Nanoseconds, with the egomaniac posing and dancing in-between. Unfortunately, he can't visualize and plan the PERFECT way to do it and it frustrates him. Suddenly, he realizes he's been hit by a Megacannon (all of this is during a battle by the way) and acts...

...on instinct and gets the PERFECT Six Nanosecond Six Kills. Then becomes voracious enough to devour SIX TRILLION people during the Siege

-Trial of the Twenty. 18 Traitor Marines, one from each Legion, competing in a series of trials to become a Daemon Prince

Spoiler

Two Blackshields, one from each Lost Legion, win the competition with the help of the Word Bearer 

-Be'lakor's past, present and future. While slaughtering and corrupting entire Companies of Imperial Fists on Terra, The First Daemon Prince has a mental communication with a certain Xeno

Spoiler

Trazyn the Infinite who is secretly 'collecting' artifacts on Pluto. Turns out that Trazyn and Be'lakor are related, The Undivided Traitor is his father whom slaughtered most of their family/clan and betrayed their kind 

Be'lakor regrets nothing besides losing the favorite status from the Gods and thus losung most of his power. He plans to storm the Inner Sanctum during the events of Saturnine but is stop by...

Spoiler

The ENTIRE Grey Knights Chapter DURING the Beast Ork War! They psyker-pull him into the Warp so they can attempt to banish him. They lose 800 Marines but greatly weaken him

Be'lakor ends up strandee in some Eldar Exodite World. He doesn't return to Terra until Vol 1 of TEATD

Spoiler

He is greatly weakened to the point the bolters Fafnir Rahn's conpany uses hurt him. Which is why he retreats instead of killing them all in TEATD 1

-Vashtorr's Adventure. The Arkfane fights and kills Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Eldar, Necrons, Hrud and Orks in his mad collecting of artifacts and knowledge on Terra and other places

Turns out he can be at multiple places in Realspace at once without severely weakening himself. Get's blackmail material which he uses post-Heresy to corrupt an entire Successor Chapter to the Dark Angels as his pawns

-Madai's Vengeance. Madai reemerges in a planet that was liberated by the Loyal Marines during the Siege. On his own he wipes out NINE Companies and 64 TRILLION People in a furious rage! Eventually banished by the Legion of the Damned but the damage is already done

I think we are all chafing at the bit for a Leagues of Votann novel.  @Scribe has the right of it.  So much potential there.

As for what else I’d like to see published in 10th edition?  Not that fussed to be honest.  What I’d really like to see is some of the loose ends tied up before then, like Guymer’s Iron Hands book, or Thorpe’s Eldar series (both).  Those sort of things.

Mechanicus please! Where do you even start, the blowback from Cawl/primaris/new tech/new ships on the more conservative segment must have shaken mars to the core. Then you have the rift cutting off half the forge worlds and their STCs, then you have a fabricator general who may seem absent but that's because  he is Neck deep in actual for real life and death of the imperium business which ends pretty badly. 

Like the fact that every single new marine unit is considered heresy by a sizable % of the priesthood has barely been touched upon. We have shadows on the wall and allusions to the tensions. Kingmaker has the Tech side of a knight world absolutely labeling Cawl and anything he touches a heretic. Darkness in the blood has the BA building A BRAND NEW TYPE of battle barge, with stcs and input from across the priesthood that resulted in a ship that is better then the old stuff in every single way.  We have hover tanks,  being rolled out across the Imperium for the first time in thousands of years.  Chapters in the dark imperium are getting data bursts with schematics and armors and tanks and guns,  

The schism is real, it is galaxy wide and it has the potential for some truly great stories. I want the martian parliament having debates where members come to blows, i want titans legions being terrified at the mere rumours that Cawl has new titan types on the go, i want knight household drooling at the though of new patterns of suits for the first time in 10k years but most of all i want BL to take this chance to let an ADULT write a book on the mechanicum that actual focusses on them as a faction and doesn't dissolve into skitarii/titan pew pew 50 pages in. 

Like it doesnt even have to focus on Mars, make up a forge world and show us how the era indomitus absolutely rocked the church ( for ultimately that is what the Mechanicus are) to its core with the first real theological crisis since the Moirae Schism and if you really want to tickle my pickle have neither side be right or wrong but both be both, because Cawl is playing with fire. Let the old guard make valid points, but also allow the progressives to point out the simple fact that the Mechanicus/Imperium is dying  and they are in part why. 

I would LOVE  a counter Belisarius Cawl, cranky, old, smart, a mechanicus genius but who believes the dogma to its core and knows that this heresy will only lead to ruin.  

The potential is endless and as it affects the entire imperium you dont NEED to have it be solely Mechanicus focused which should help sales wise. Bring in some tech marines, some navy admirals, knight world nobility, etc. Remind us all that the tendrils of the mechanicus reach into every facet of the Imperium in ways most Imperials dont even notice and have them realize tha those tendrils are not at odds with each other. 

I wish GW would either collect all lore stuff from narrative books and publish that as a standalone book or publish novels to go along with it. I'm also not a codex reader and no way I'm paying $65 for 20-40 pages of lore in one Arks of Omen book.

I hope French gets to finish his Horusian Wars series, Wraight his Watchers of the Throne series, and ADB his Black Legion series. I take anything from Fehervari, Ozga, Flowers, Rath, Harrison, and Crowley. Whether it's tied to the 10th ed or Lion coming back, I don't really care. I enjoy their work and prefer they write "less important books" so we don't get more product placements like Dominion/Indomitus/etc

Almost forgot: I want reprints of The Dark Coil series in hardbacks or individual paperbacks, I can't stand omnibuses. And a fancy box set for the Shira Calpurnia trilogy.

Edited by theSpirea

Since we're wishlisting...

Yes, definitely a Votann book (or trilogy) with a lot of hints/references and maybe even flashbacks to their likely DAoT origins as the Men of Stone.

A novel or novella following up with that hiding-in-plain-sight Man of Iron: https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/UR-025

Maybe its story could intersect with the Votann's?

Follow-up novels involving the Lion and Guilliman.

More Watchers of the Throne.

Some literary love for the 40K White Scars...think the last book we had was The Last Hunt several years ago.

There are a few things I hope to see over this edition cycle.

- New Guy Haley Dante book detailing his crossing the Rubicon, meeting another loyalist Primarch, and being so very tired.

- Like others, a Votaan book!

- More Dawn of Fire. I love the serise and think they need to push it more to fill the impending Heresy void. But, despite how much I love them, can we get more Space Marine characters that aren't from the Black Templars?

- More background books in the same vein as First Founding and Liber Xenologis. Give me all the lore and artwork. I'd love to see a Second Founding book, maybe even a Cursed Founding (but keep plenty of mystery since thats half the appeal of those chapters). I'd also love to see something in the same vein for Tau Septs, Tyranid Hive Fleets etc.

- More Warhammer Crime, especially at least one sequel!

- More interesting Xenos or obscure lore based titles by the likes of Nate Crowley, Robert Rath and Mike Brooks, or indeed any author who has a good idea.

- Something new from Danie Ware. I think she's more comfortable sticking to short stories for 40k so I'd love if they let her run riot.

The Votann are a huge gap in the lore right now and I’m eagerly awaiting a novel, like everyone else it seems. 

New entries for the Lords of Silence, Emperor’s Spears, Horusian Wars, Bequin etc. Lots of series need to be continued/concluded

I’d love to see a novel about the Tyranids that isn’t centered entirely around them as antagonists. They’re the principal threat to kick off 10th edition and, though challenging to write about I’m sure, I’d love to see someone like Crowley or Tchaikovsky give it a try. 

A novel about Guilliman, Dante and The Lion waging war and running the Imperium together. 

5 hours ago, Nagashsnee said:

Mechanicus please! Where do you even start, the blowback from Cawl/primaris/new tech/new ships on the more conservative segment must have shaken mars to the core. Then you have the rift cutting off half the forge worlds and their STCs, then you have a fabricator general who may seem absent but that's because  he is Neck deep in actual for real life and death of the imperium business which ends pretty badly. 

Like the fact that every single new marine unit is considered heresy by a sizable % of the priesthood has barely been touched upon. We have shadows on the wall and allusions to the tensions. Kingmaker has the Tech side of a knight world absolutely labeling Cawl and anything he touches a heretic. Darkness in the blood has the BA building A BRAND NEW TYPE of battle barge, with stcs and input from across the priesthood that resulted in a ship that is better then the old stuff in every single way.  We have hover tanks,  being rolled out across the Imperium for the first time in thousands of years.  Chapters in the dark imperium are getting data bursts with schematics and armors and tanks and guns,  

The schism is real, it is galaxy wide and it has the potential for some truly great stories. I want the martian parliament having debates where members come to blows, i want titans legions being terrified at the mere rumours that Cawl has new titan types on the go, i want knight household drooling at the though of new patterns of suits for the first time in 10k years but most of all i want BL to take this chance to let an ADULT write a book on the mechanicum that actual focusses on them as a faction and doesn't dissolve into skitarii/titan pew pew 50 pages in. 

Like it doesnt even have to focus on Mars, make up a forge world and show us how the era indomitus absolutely rocked the church ( for ultimately that is what the Mechanicus are) to its core with the first real theological crisis since the Moirae Schism and if you really want to tickle my pickle have neither side be right or wrong but both be both, because Cawl is playing with fire. Let the old guard make valid points, but also allow the progressives to point out the simple fact that the Mechanicus/Imperium is dying  and they are in part why. 

I would LOVE  a counter Belisarius Cawl, cranky, old, smart, a mechanicus genius but who believes the dogma to its core and knows that this heresy will only lead to ruin.  

The potential is endless and as it affects the entire imperium you dont NEED to have it be solely Mechanicus focused which should help sales wise. Bring in some tech marines, some navy admirals, knight world nobility, etc. Remind us all that the tendrils of the mechanicus reach into every facet of the Imperium in ways most Imperials dont even notice and have them realize tha those tendrils are not at odds with each other. 

@Nagashsnee thanks for the synopsis of the novel I didn’t know I have been waiting for.  Awesome story idea.

And I want a load of Warhammer Crime novels!  Guess I can be fussed for next edition after all.

My list will be a little light because most of the books I want aren't in the 10th Ed timeline (when we do that thread, be prepared for my TED talk about a founding of the Grey Knights book and my unending want for a novella about the Ultramarines as they close on Terra during the Siege)

-Another Dante novel from either Haley which makes the most sense, or ADB/Wraight given how they handled their recent Blood Angels novels for the Heresy. It seems like he has had some decent stuff happening lately, mostly off-screen so I'd like a novel to fill in the gaps

-A current year chaos book, I've given up hope on getting Black Legion 3 at this point so something to talk about how the legions are reacting to their Primarchs taking the field finally, the Rift, etc. We have gotten a lot of reflection from the Imperium's side but not really on the Xenos or Chaos side, so I'd like to see something like Dark Imperium amounts of introspection/analysis of the setting from a different perspective

-Votaan getting a book. They don't really interest me at all, but I can appreciate the need for one

-A Tau novel written by someone other than Phil Kelly

-Watchers of the Throne 3

-Another Robbie MacNiven Carcharadons book. I liked Red Tithe, Outer Dark was ok, but again, I'd like to see how a chapter like that is functioning now with the current setting, getting Primaris given that they've been very much on the fringes the entire time, etc.

My WISHlist for 2023:

Pandaemonium - Abnett

Interceptor City - Abnett

Watchers of the Throne 3 - Wraight

Bloodlines 2 - Wraight

Black Legion 3 - ADB

Flesh & Steel 2 - Haley

Horusian Wars 3 - French

Another Dark Coil novel - Fehervari

Votaan novel - someone good

Edited by DukeLeto69

10 minutes ago, Grenzer said:

In addition to what others have already said, I really want the Dawn of Fire series to start moving forward already. Enough with the Primaris Acceptance, we're past that. Bring on the Lion, incorporate other recent events, start giving us an interconnected plot.

Dawn of Fire is specifically set before Dark Imperium. From what Haley has said they’re going to finish up Dawn of Fire after a set number of books and start a successor series that continues post-Dark Imperium, but won’t necessarily be concurrent with events in the source books. While I also like when novels interconnect with big lore developments it seems that level of coordination doesn’t necessarily result in the best books or the happiest authors. GW and BL were much more tied at the hip between 2015-16. Abnett actually left, other authors cut down on their work and the books in general were entirely uninspiring.