Books YOU would like to see published in 10th Ed.

11 hours ago, Alpharius902 said:

Round 2 of my hoping and coping list (I fully acknowledge a grand total of 0 of these ideas will ever come to fruition, but this is what I want to read at least)

Era Indomitus stuff

- Imperial Fists: Seeing how the new Chapter Master is taking stock of his position in the galaxy, returning from a penitent crusade directly to Chapter command must have been jarring

- Emperor's Children: Eidolon trying (and failing) to drag the dregs of the III Legion back to their former strength, gets a chance to show how far the Legion's fallen even past the Fabius novels

- Adeptus Mechanicus: The Mechanicus invades an Imperial world to try to scrub out evidence of a "Chaos engineer," similar to Heritor Asphodel. Inheritor King showed us how much the higher-ups of the factions fear beings like him, I want to see what lengths they'd go to snuff out any evidence of a "third way" that isn't Machine God-based

- Harlequins: Get to see the process of how a regular Aeldari can get drawn into the troupe, getting a chance to see how service in the Laughing God's employ functions

- Exodites: I want to see the inner workings of a clan war, complete with Craftworld intervention on either side. The Drukhari trilogy gave us a glimpse of how brutal they could be, I want to see it from the perspective of one of their warriors

- Necrons: Imotekh's brewing conflict with the Silent King was mentioned once but never capitalized on. I want to see how the Stormlord deals with his "master" returning

Everything else

- The Skalathrax novel that Anthony Reynolds hyped up so long ago

- Drag Andy Chambers back to write more Drukhari; transformed them into my favorite xenos faction after reading that trilogy recently

- Bastion Stars: Let someone else take a crack at this setting. Zou's plagiarism pretty much torched this area, but I'd love to see what someone else could come up with, given all the interesting stuff that he was able to introduce (Khorsabad Maw, the Blood Gorgons in general, star-based superweapons, etc)

- Give Fehervari the keys to the setting and let him do what he does best

The Emperor's Children are doing nuch better present day like the Death Guard and Black Legion

They are degenerates but the Astartes of Slaanesh are thriving and winning. Much more than the Word Bearers which is saying a lot

I would also like to see a few Dark Angel focused novels written by ADB, Abnett, or have Chis Wraight take over (Wish-listing).

Dante novel of course. 

A very quality higher tier author story during the current time line with a classic Crimson Fists vs Orks novel that focuses on characters from both sides. 

Something on Mantis Warriors, Raptors, Flesh Eaters. 

I don't care if the stories advance the story line, I just want them to enrich it. I dont care if a story gets a character from A to B just to help the world develop. I just want it to be well written. If it is well written and provides insights into the universe we wouldn't get otherwise, it can be about the Lion trying to see if they still make his favourite breakfast cereal for all I care.

My wishlist:

• Battle for Macragge showing the Tyranids wrecking the UM due to being a new enemy to the IoM, with the Swarmlord thrashing Calgar. Make Guy Haley stay 100m away from the tyranids, the man has an obsession with portraying the Hive Mind with human-like emotions and having it throw tantrums like a 5 year old.
  • 4th Tyrannic War and how it affects other races beside IoM.
  • Hive Fleet Tiamet and people investigating what they're building.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Votann novel/short story to flesh out the faction, maybe even use Uthar since he is the only named character in the range beside the one dude that was limited edition.
  • Vashtorr and the Arks of Omen, really expand the lore about Demi-Gods of Chaos and the Dark Mechanicum. Apparently he and Perty are allies so that gives IW something new to talk about.
  • Yvraine and the Ynnari dealing with the fact their quest is now halted. Maybe tie them with Fulgrim to recover the last Crone Sword like some have suggested.
  • Shadowsun having a sequel book now that she has reluctantly agreed to let the T'au'va religion remain. From the resumes I've seen online, she is being chosen as the goddess' 'chosen hero'. Expand the culture of the faction and relation with their human auxiliaries now praying to somebody other than Emps.
  • Ghazghkull being a fearsome leader that should not be underestimated just because he is an ork.

Edited by Jscarlos18

-Votann dealing with their Chaotic brethern during the Age of Apotasy. Antagonist is a Votann Daemon Prince

-La'Kais (Fire Warrior) forming his own Chaos-worshipping Enclave and fighting Anakyr the Traveler over dormant Tomb Worlds. Kais has a Blood-powered Virus which he has used to turn Necrons and other Xenos into blood-crazed killers

-Khârn wipes out 8 Chapters from the Lion's Geneseed. Lion arrives on the planet only to be ambushed by the cunning Ka'Bandha who separates the Primarch from his shield and beats him to a pulp. Guilliman shows up to rescue the Lion.

I would love to read a novel about the plight of a common family on terra in the run up to, and immediate aftermath of the opening of the Great Rift.  I want to read about the absolute hell that they go through, and how that gets multiplied by ten once the Rift opens.  I want to see how they react when laying eyes upon a Bloodthirster for the first time.  I want to read about a glimmer of hope when they hear about the Avenging Son, only for it to be snuffed out by an overzealous Inquisitor.  

I would also like to read about the full process of how a servitor is created, this could be a sub-plot to the novel.  Guy Haley did great with this in his Crime novel, but I want to read more!  

Pandemonium from Abnett - finish the brilliant Bequin series.

Likewise ADB novels on Black Legion and Emperor's Spears.

Another Necron comedy from Rath or drama from Crowley.

Another Baggit and Close caper in the crime series.

Something on Aeldari corsairs, from Rath or Crowley. 

And of course, Cain meets the Votann...

Hive Fleet Kraken's attack on Iyaden. Tens of Billions of Eldar, plus all the Phoenix Lords, versus Tens of Trillions of Tyranids

Siege of Alaitoc. Billions of Eldar and Billions of Ork 'allies' plus all Phoenix Lords fighting Trillions of Imperial invaders and thousands of Astartes

Custodes and Titans sent to fight Angron, Magnus, Mortarion AND Fulgrim during the 1st Black Crusade. POV of the Loyalist Titan

Second the Cain meets Votann idea.  

Have also been thinking that a showdown between Guilliman and the Inquisition seems an inevitability and would make a good story.  There already seems to be an undercurrent to this already in some recent books.  Let’s get it on!

Don't really have a specific wishlist, but rather just a general hope that they keep the restrictive tie-ins to campaigns and singular tabletop character/models (tbf, Guymer did a great job with his angron book) at a bare minimum.

Oh, and the launch of a comedy range, with the first series being a buddy cop scenario where Alpharius and Ferrus Manus find their souls locked together in a clone primarch body.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:52 AM, Fedor said:

Don't really have a specific wishlist, but rather just a general hope that they keep the restrictive tie-ins to campaigns and singular tabletop character/models (tbf, Guymer did a great job with his angron book) at a bare minimum.

Oh, and the launch of a comedy range, with the first series being a buddy cop scenario where Alpharius and Ferrus Manus find their souls locked together in a clone primarch body.

Should Guymer do books for the other Daemon Primarchs (plus the Warmaster) and their Legions?

I wonder how is he going to explain how the Black Legion, Death Guard and Emperor's Children are doing better than the World Eaters when Khorne's Legion don't need logistics

On 5/5/2023 at 5:02 AM, Moonreaper666 said:

I wonder how is he going to explain how the Black Legion, Death Guard and Emperor's Children are doing better than the World Eaters when Khorne's Legion don't need logistics

Same way they always do, pretend they dont exist.  

It is a well know 40k fact that logistics only matter if the book acknowledges their existence. 

Next your going to ask why orbital bombardment's don't end 50% of the book around chapter 2.  Or why we never get to see titans win battles by just shooting the enemy from very very very far away. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

On 5/6/2023 at 12:10 PM, grailkeeper said:

One book I'd really really really like to see is an anthology of short stories about successor chapters... with mine in it.

C'mon BL. The open submissions closed in January. Let me know if mine is in with a chance.

With the AoS one, it took them a stupidly long time to tell me 'no'. I think about 10 monthish?  Given that I reckon there will be vastly more entries for 40k, I estimate to get a rejection in 2024...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 9:28 AM, Nagashsnee said:

It is a well know 40k fact that logistics only matter if the book acknowledges their existence. 

Next your going to ask why orbital bombardment's don't end 50% of the book around chapter 2.  Or why we never get to see titans win battles by just shooting the enemy from very very very far away. 

It would be hilarious if an author just decided to own this and do it before exploring the ramifications and fall out!

On 5/6/2023 at 1:28 AM, Nagashsnee said:

There have been lorebits in the novels that do explain those two aspects

Agree with @grailkeeper on more stuff about successor chapters. Like how does a near-extinct successor that got reinforced vs. a newly established chapter respond to the piling on of threats (Chaos/Rift -> Necrons -> Tyranids), after Indomitus crusade has moved on and they're on their own? What about a chapter that fell to chaos/was wiped out by one of those threats, was restored, only to be faced with the real possibility of being wiped out again by the same foe? How does a chapter like the White Consuls rebuild after losing their home planet? How do the Angels of Absolution respond to the actions of Dark Angels in awful War of Secrets book, followed by arrival of the Lion?

Other stuff:

A primaris chapter goes rogue / falls to chaos

Chaos vs. tyranids- how is (or isn't) Abbadon responding to threat? Does it matter to him if leviathan sweeps across the galaxy? Do they worry about hive fleet kronos?

Necrons vs tyranids- what is silent kings response?

More Severina Raine / Antari Rifles from Rachel Harrison

Pandemonium, more Spears of the Emperor, more Black Legion.

Another Carcharodons novel from MacNiven, set in current time.

Cawl's efforts to collect blackstone and "sew" the rift back up

8 hours ago, Galloway said:

Agree with @grailkeeper on more stuff about successor chapters. Like how does a near-extinct successor that got reinforced vs. a newly established chapter respond to the piling on of threats (Chaos/Rift -> Necrons -> Tyranids), after Indomitus crusade has moved on and they're on their own? What about a chapter that fell to chaos/was wiped out by one of those threats, was restored, only to be faced with the real possibility of being wiped out again by the same foe? How does a chapter like the White Consuls rebuild after losing their home planet? How do the Angels of Absolution respond to the actions of Dark Angels in awful War of Secrets book, followed by arrival of the Lion?

Other stuff:

A primaris chapter goes rogue / falls to chaos

Chaos vs. tyranids- how is (or isn't) Abbadon responding to threat? Does it matter to him if leviathan sweeps across the galaxy? Do they worry about hive fleet kronos?

Necrons vs tyranids- what is silent kings response?

More Severina Raine / Antari Rifles from Rachel Harrison

Pandemonium, more Spears of the Emperor, more Black Legion.

Another Carcharodons novel from MacNiven, set in current time.

Cawl's efforts to collect blackstone and "sew" the rift back up

A lot of these are the type of stories that come out of other novels, requiring follow-ups or side stories, but are rarely commissioned.  Would love most of these ideas followed up but doubt we will ever see it done.

I really would love to know what criteria GW/BL use for commissioning work from the talent.

In no particular order:

1) The starting of an Ultima chapter. A thousand popsicles got frozen out, given a planet and some duties, how do they actually organize and accomplish everything? What does everyone else think about it?

2) Eshin Gray’s Anatomy: Medical drama following apothecaries or hospitallers as they treat folks, marines, serfs, sisters, etc. 

3) Some sort of look at the theology of Chaos and how it gets preached, lived, and spread on a basis of something more than mustache twirling villainy. Bonus points for including zero space marines. 
4) Seconding a desire for a book exploring reactions to Cawl’s blatant tech heresy. 
5) More Imperial Navy books. 

I still feel another Martian Civil War is in the near future…or at least should be.  On one side the current Fabricator-General and the more strict followers of the Martian cult, on the other Cawl and those adepts who have felt oppressed by the ban on progress.  There have been plenty of these types in the lore over the years (long before Cawl was a thing) so there may be more than we would think.