The Muster of Worlds: Imperialis Militia Tactica

Lord Marshal

2 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

I love that model and think it is a great addition as an option for militia.

In fact they could have gone a little further if you ask me and add Quadbikes and the other stuff from the Genestealer Cult and necromunda range as well.

Maybe they do that in the future, who knows?

They technically did with the Cavalry since the fluff blurb for the mounts mentions anything between "Horses", Bikes, ATVs etc.

I'm not against it as I also like the model but I already own a ton of Chimera and Valkyries and would love to take them off the shelf where they sit now. I get where GW is coming from but its not where my disposable income can go. My money tends to buy more Legion than Militia as I already own a few hundred.

1 hour ago, Brother Sutek said:

I'm not against it as I also like the model but I already own a ton of Chimera and Valkyries and would love to take them off the shelf where they sit now. I get where GW is coming from but its not where my disposable income can go. My money tends to buy more Legion than Militia as I already own a few hundred.

It is a shame that they took away every weapon option for the Lighter. In 1ed one could take that unit as a Valkyre stand in.

2 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Yea the cavalry can be equipped like the dirtbikers in the sense of having melee options, shotguns and carbines, and a special weapon. A bit hard to do the quads, or the sniper character, but the basic stuff is there.

Sure, but Quads would have been cool. But yes, using one as an additional cavalier is possible. Maybe as the sergeant.

The curious thing for me about this list is that it seems to leave a gap, to be filled by whatever the actual Imperial Army is, before you get to the elite of the Solar Auxilia. These guys are explicitly not that - they're third line troops, garrisons and whatever traitorous dregs can be scraped up.

I don't know if we'll ever see that list though. Maybe at this time the Legions were so all-powerful that the army didn't exist, but there are pretty frequent references to it in the books.

As far as this list goes itself, I think it's very cool. There are tons of interesting things you can do, none of which are especially powerful. Winning a game against a Legion force with militia would be a really big ask, but probably not quite impossible. The biggest challenge would probably be painting them all though, and honestly I'm not up for that, except perhaps as a small-ish allied contingent.

I'd like to play the Liberation Force rite with my Raven Guard, which implies I should get a detachment of either militia or solar auxilia. I really don't know which I'd go for to be honest. I'll have a look at all the options some time. I've no idea what traits the Therion Cohort would have, or whether I'd even try to represent them or someone else entirely.

2 hours ago, Mandragola said:

I've no idea what traits the Therion Cohort would have

They're described as solar aux in the corax primarch novel, though you could basically make them out of the armoury of old night and warrior elite provenances.

I actually used my valkyrie as shuttles last edition as my missiles etc are magnetic so only the nose gun stayed on. Sadly now unless I say "it ran out of ammo" and ignore the gun it doesn't fit. We all know how overpowering that one gun was on the expensive transport was...

Horde of the Damned (aka How many Models?!?!? Chaos Edition) 3000 Point List:

Provenances:
- Debased Rabble

- Unending Horde

Imperialis Militia Force Commander (+100 Points)

- Trait: Ruthless Tyrant

- Power Sword (+10 Points)
- Plasma Pistol (+10 Points)

- Cyber-familiar (+10 Points)

- Power armour (+15 Points)

- Iron halo (+ 20 Points)

Total: 165 Points

Imperialis Militia Command Cadre (+45 Points)

- Attatch to Commander as Household Retinue

- + 15 Militia Bodyguards (+120 Points)

Imperialis Militia Command Cadre (2 Slots, 2 Units) (+45 Points)

Total: 90 Points

Imperialis Militia Infantry Squad (3 Slots, 9 Units) (+80 Points)

- The entire squad may be given krak grenades (+10 Points) (9 Units)

- Grenade launcher (+10 Points) (6 Units)

- Meltagun (+15 Points) ( 3 Units)

Total: 915 Points

Imperialis Militia Levy Squad (3 Slots, 9 Units) (+40 Points)

- 30 additional Levy (+60 Points) (9 Units)

- Basic close combat weapon and laspistol or autopistol (Sergeant)

- Basic close combat weapon and autopistol or laspistol

Total: 900 Points

Imperialis Militia Ogryn Brute Squad (3 Slot, 3 Units) (+100 Points)

- + 7 Ogryn Brutes (+210 Points)

Total: 630 Points

Imperialis Militia Field Gun Battery (1 Slot, 1 Unit) (+45 Points)

- Additional 1 Field Gun (+40 Points)

- Heavy lascannon (+25 Points)

Total: 135 Points

Total Models: 703
Total Points used: 3000

3 hours ago, Dezron said:

Horde of the Damned (aka How many Models?!?!? Chaos Edition) 3000 Point List:

Provenances:
- Debased Rabble

- Unending Horde

- Power Sword (+10 Points)
- Plasma Pistol (+10 Points)

- Cyber-familiar (+10 Points)

- Power armour (+15 Points)

- Iron halo (+ 20 Points)

Imperialis Militia Command Cadre (+45 Points)

- Attatch to Commander as Household Retinue

- + 15 Militia Bodyguards (+120 Points)

Imperialis Militia Command Cadre (2 Slots, 2 Units) (+45 Points)

Total: 90 Points

Imperialis Militia Infantry Squad (3 Slots, 9 Units) (+80 Points)

- The entire squad may be given krak grenades (+10 Points) (9 Units)

- Grenade launcher (+10 Points) (6 Units)

- Meltagun (+15 Points) ( 3 Units)

Total: 915 Points

- Basic close combat weapon and laspistol or autopistol (Sergeant)

- Basic close combat weapon and autopistol or laspistol

Imperialis Militia Ogryn Brute Squad (3 Slot, 3 Units) (+100 Points)

- + 7 Ogryn Brutes (+210 Points)

Total: 630 Points

Imperialis Militia Field Gun Battery (1 Slot, 1 Unit) (+45 Points)

- Additional 1 Field Gun (+40 Points)

- Heavy lascannon (+25 Points)

Total: 135 Points

Total Models: 703
Total Points used: 3000

If you manage to paint those I'd praise you.

23 minutes ago, Gorgoff said:

If you manage to paint those I'd praise you.

I just wanted to see how many models I could fit in one list. I could probably fit more, but I wanted to add some functional elements beyond "nearly endless amount of bodies to throw at the enemy".

In the meantime...

Allies lists:

More meat for meatgrinder 1000 Points:

Provenances:
- Alchem-jackers

- Unending Horde

Total: 100 points

Total Points used: 1000

If you want 500 Point version then just remove additional Levy and you'll have 460 Point Horde.

I feel that this list is dumb, but you still get between 181 to 451 bodies to throw at enemy.

Artillery, artllery and artillery 1000 Points:

Provenances:
- Cyber-augmetics

- Kinfolk Helots

- Trait: Merchant Princeling

Total: 100 Points

Imperialis Militia Infantry Squad (1 Slot, 1 Unit) (+80 Points)

Total: 80 Points

Imperialis Militia Field Gun Battery (2 Slots, 2 Units) (+45 Points)

- Additional 7 Field Gun (+40 Points) (Split them between units however you wish)

Total: 370 Points

Imperialis Militia Heavy Ordnance Battery (2 Slots, 2 Units) (+75 Points)

- Two additional Gun Carriages (+130 Points)

- 5 additional Militia Gunners (+10 Points)

Total: 430 Points

Total Points used: 980

Ally artillery list always useful. You're also not gonna move them around much, so they might as well be made hard to remove.  Feel free to switch points around, if you want for example more Heavy Cannons or more Field Batteries.

Armour rush 1000 Points:

Provenances:
- Kinfolk Helots

- Industrial Stronghold

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad (2 Slots, 2 Units) (+75 Points)

Total: 150 Points

Imperialis Militia Leman Russ (1 Slot, 1 Unit) (+120 Points)

- Up to 5 additional Militia Leman Russ (+600 points)

- One Turret Mounted Vanquisher battle cannon and one Co-axial Mounted autocannon (+30 Points) (for the whole unit)

- Smoke launchers (+30 Points) (for the whole unit)

Total: 750 Points

Total Points used: 1000 Points

If you have better idea then you can spend points from Smoke Launchers on something else.

Budget Mechanicus 1000 Points:

Provenances:
- Cyber-augmetics

- Kinfolk Helots

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad (1 Slots, 1 Units) (+75 Points)

Total: 75 Points

Imperialis Militia Infantry Squad (3 Slot, 9 Unit) (+80 Points)

Total: 720 Points

Imperialis Militia Medicae Detachment (+40 Points)

- 5 additional Militia Medicae (+60 Points)

Total Points used: 995 Points

Batllesmith for everyone! 

Edited by Dezron

• 3 weeks later...

What special weapons are good for the militia squad/grenadier/command cadre? Initially, the only ones I would consider are the sniper rifle for objective holders and maybe a melta gun but i dont know if the squad would survive getting close enough to use them.

I am planning to make an allied detachment for a Raven Guard Liberation Force so I am tempted to keep the militia units as cheap as possible but that doesnt seem very fun.

On 5/14/2023 at 3:57 AM, NemoVonUtopia said:

What special weapons are good for the militia squad/grenadier/command cadre?

You can't go wrong with Grenade Launchers. 

Otherwise look up Special Weapons from Armoury of the Old Night Provenance. 

On 4/22/2023 at 4:07 AM, SkimaskMohawk said:

They're described as solar aux in the corax primarch novel, though you could basically make them out of the armoury of old night and warrior elite provenances.

Does the Raven Guard ROW works with Solar Auxila now, or only militia?

I've been looking over the list, and as someone who doesn't have too much experience with the Heresy, I think my question is, how strong is Pinning?

I'm seeing a sketch of a list with a Rogue Psyker, Stoic Defender, Kalliope Mortars, Sniper Rifles, Armoury of the Old Night, and Bound Daemons or Word Bearer allies, but how viable is Pinning as a strategy to skew into?

Gotcha, thank you! I think my worry was skewing into Pinning, and then either not having enough room for high strength weapons to deal with vehicles, or being bricked often (rather than every once in a while) by a high prevalence of rules such as Fearless.

Edited by BattyVespers
Edited for consistent verb tense

Also, militia is gonna get torn up no matter what, but pinning is a good way to slow the chainsaw wielding lunatics so you can maybe do some objectives before you get shredded.

Yeah, unfortunately that's a fact of life I've had to deal with as an AM etc. type player, especially because I also prefer infantry over vehicles/armored companies. That's good to hear about the vehicles, and I agree about the need to deal with melee, which is why I'm hoping that a combination of Pinning / Bound Daemons will at least give me a fighting chance. I'm hoping that the full Ruinstorm release will also give some interesting tools in that regard, but IDK.

On 6/2/2023 at 8:42 PM, Ripper.McGuirl said:

To be honest, I have not seen a ton of vehicles. Also, militia is gonna get torn up no matter what, but pinning is a good way to slow the chainsaw wielding lunatics so you can maybe do some objectives before you get shredded.

Can those third-line vehicles pose a serious threat to Space Marines though?

They are as outmatched against legion armor as our our cheap infantry choiced are against legionnaries

On 6/2/2023 at 1:22 PM, Ripper.McGuirl said:

I get the feeling that you're going to have a blast no matter what. Winning games? Time will tell! But I like the idea of just laying down pinning to keep the enemy heads in the trenches and then filling those trenches with demons.

Thank you! That's the hope, at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with the heavy lascanon feild gun battery? I have 4 of GW's feild ordinance guns and am trying to decide if it is worth magnetizing it to be able to switch between the mortar or heavy las.

My impression is that the bases are so big that it will be hard to get them in cover and the low defences and accuracy would mean I would need more than 2-4 to be effective.

On 6/20/2023 at 10:15 AM, NemoVonUtopia said:

Anyone have experience with the heavy lascanon feild gun battery? I have 4 of GW's feild ordinance guns and am trying to decide if it is worth magnetizing it to be able to switch between the mortar or heavy las.

My impression is that the bases are so big that it will be hard to get them in cover and the low defences and accuracy would mean I would need more than 2-4 to be effective.

I can't tell you if they are worth it but the potential of the other weapon setups being viable is worth the effort of magnets. I use the example of the Deathwing terminators to make my point. For years and editions the loadout for my terminators changed dramatically between lightning claws good or bad. Same for cyclone missiles and flamers, heck for a while thunder hammers weren't so good. I used magnets and switched between editions so I didn't have to keep buying more models. Granted I own 100 or so anyway but that's my love of Dark Angels.