Valrak trusted rumor: Firstborn Land Speeder and Firstborn Dreadnought going to legends

The line between Firstborn and Primaris is now blurred. What is preventing a Firstborn Marine' sarcophagus from being placed in a Redemptor or Brutalis Dreadnought? Now the Land Speeder is trickier, as the Imperium is hopelessly besotted with the old technologies. 

Squatting firstborn dreads would be weird given how many variants it has. I could see the old basic kit getting discontinued in favor of the venerable, ironclad, and SW/BA kits, but cutting casta ferrums out completely seems odd. There's also the issue of Redemptors being unable to actually preserve fallen warriors since they burn out their pilots, so the Imperium still needs Casta Ferrum dreads since they're the best for that.

I wouldn’t mind to see them go, not a big fan of those sculpts. The dreads are part of 30k though, so I’m wondering how that will be handled.

Are fridgenaughts part of the legacy units for 30k? Maybe that’s how?

I think the symbolic nature to me is that the datasheet would be getting squatted, albeit maybe not indefinitely. That would really signal to the people who believe GW won't overly interfere with Firstborn armies that they are moving that way. 

2 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

I cant even remember the last time I saw anyone use a casterferrum class dread or an old landspeeder:tongue:

I might not have even noticed if they went to legends:laugh:

*Cries in "uses venerable dreads and land speeder typhoons in his space wolves lists all the time"*

Edited by Dark Legionnare

2 minutes ago, farfromsam said:

I'll be rebasing my dread on to a redemptor base and carrying on.    I have 12 land speeders.  No way I'm not going to proxy them in some how. 

Should be fine with the way line of sight works these days, being based on base

The Land Speeder was always a bit of an also-ran IMO, but the Dreadnought is iconic, and getting rid of it seems borderline tasteless. A Redemptor is not the same thing and is not a valid replacement. It's not even the same thing in fluff!

Just now, Evil Eye said:

The Land Speeder was always a bit of an also-ran IMO, but the Dreadnought is iconic, and getting rid of it seems borderline tasteless. A Redemptor is not the same thing and is not a valid replacement. It's not even the same thing in fluff!

Yet.

5 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

how is it not a valid replacement? Interested honestly because:

- it has a fist and main gun variant

- it has a dual ccw variant

- it will shortly have a mortis variant

- it has a clearly visible sarcophagus 

- it has similar design for its overall chassis shape (just extra armour over the sarcophagus)

its main difference is that rather than smoke launcher on its upper chassis, it has a gun and it looks like it has enough manoeuvrability to actually fight in close combat due to longer more articulated arms and legs

3 minutes ago, KrakenBorn said:

I regularly field Bjorn the Fellhanded and occasionally Murderfang; I'm hoping these don't get any unfair treatment.

I would love a new redemptor model for Bjorn to come out whenever we get our range refresh. Great character throughout the heresy and it would be nice to see him treated to an upgrade in 40k.

I don't think it would apply to units like that, especially without a replacement. You can guarantee that SW will get the Black Templar type update eventually, probably not before DA and BA though. 

It's never been said in the fluff, but I've always though that the Redemptor was meant as direct upgrade to the old dreads, as in using the old Castraferrum sarcophagus directly in the new chassis, plug and play. This would allow the existence of ancient venenerable dreads and classic characters like Bjorn among Primaris without problem.

I think the reality is from GW original designs all Primaris units will meant to be replacements for Firstborn equivalents, I think the reaction to Primaris from the fanbase and the popularity of Horus Heresy and Firstborn in general made them waver a bit and they started getting wishy washy with their intent. Where we are now I don't know but I would guess it's 80/20 towards Primaris.