Valrak trusted rumor: Firstborn Land Speeder and Firstborn Dreadnought going to legends

1 minute ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Redemptor Bjorn once its time for a big wolf upgrade

Very interesting lore implications if they do this.

The Redemptor is a brutal machine that burns the pilot out. The mechanicus don't care much for the biological component.

It would be cutting the life of the venerable Marine inside short. However, this could actually be seen as a mercy. To live for thousands of years entombed in a Dreadnought would ultimately be a punishment. In the fee novels I've read that feature Bjorn, he comes across as... less than sane.

12 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Very interesting lore implications if they do this.

The Redemptor is a brutal machine that burns the pilot out. The mechanicus don't care much for the biological component.

It would be cutting the life of the venerable Marine inside short. However, this could actually be seen as a mercy. To live for thousands of years entombed in a Dreadnought would ultimately be a punishment. In the fee novels I've read that feature Bjorn, he comes across as... less than sane.

I sort of rate the burns out the pilot lore about the same as the super riskiness of crossing the rubicon lore. Kinda empty talk from GW. Which I'm perfectly fine with it being because I never cared for it in the first place.

EDIT: That said they would have to adress it somehow. Wether to acknowledge it, quietly drop it or outright retcon.

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

While nobody has to like it, it should not be a surprise to anyone. As long as the kit isn't too old that the mold's bad and as long as it sells GW will keep it, but it is only naive to think GW was going to fully support both lines going forward. Clearly one is the future. I say this as someone who has no dog in the race and would never play loyalist Marines.

For the record, I'll still play against "count as" redemptors as tiny boxnougnts, even on their smaller bases. I believe most people are not that cut throat and demand you go spend money on a model you might not like in a non tournament setting. But the second you try hiding your half size dreadnought behind a tree stump, you're getting the squinty eye treatment.

Yeah I think that bit of lore will get swept under the rug quite easily.

I've thought about this since I first heard Valrak mention it on his stream a few weeks back. The dreads were the bigger "hmm" of the two given, as others have said, the chapter specific uses of the chassis. The land speeders, I'm surprised have lasted this long though there is one variant not covered by a storm Speeder (not counting the Ravenwing one) that of the Land Speeder Storm. Given the rumours of new scouts via kill team, could we also receive a new storm Speeder variant to go with them at a later date?

Landspeeder, aight see ya, (basically) no one uses them and there's not been a similar release besides the Primaris version in a decade.

Dreadnought though?  That's a huge change.  We get new dreadnoughts all the time.  I doubt we're going to say goodbye to them now but if we did, that would be a bummer.

Damn shame, the boxnought is the iconic dreadnought design and its not even close, the redemptor might be a worthy sucessor, its essentially the same kit made modern style in many ways but this old grognard says baaah! and humbug! 

Speeders are alright, the newer ones are very good either though, bring back the older schools ones, when they had character! ;) 

Once the new demptor kit comes that has the same options, it's expected the older generic kit will e lnter legacy.

Same for the speeders.

Or it just gets rolled into the dreadnaught kit.

There are many Ravenwing players that will be saddened by the Land Speeders removal.

It is used more than some think.

Hell I have a dozen of them and they are my third army.

FW removed their fantastic Venerable Options a while ago, that's a huge sign of the times. For the less exciting GW plastic ones the clock is also ticking.

But I hold zero illusions that both Dreads and Land Speeders will last much longer in 40k.

2 hours ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Legends is still valid now? Thats how you have to field the primaris company champion as well as other not currently sold models

Let's not pretend Legends are supported or balanced though. I want to play a fun game after all, not out of date rules that don't fully work.

Interesting how they'll treat Legends mind. They'll have to update I guess, which is enough work to almost count as half a Codex. (I kid, but only a little)

I've still got a metal one (old school lead) which I like to wheel out every now and then.

It also doubles up as a handy objective in case of house invasions by a horde of mutant clowns from Neptune.

6 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Let's not pretend Legends are supported or balanced though. I want to play a fun game after all, not out of date rules that don't fully work.

Interesting how they'll treat Legends mind. They'll have to update I guess, which is enough work to almost count as half a Codex. (I kid, but only a little)

The Ironic thing about GW saying Legends not being updated and supported is that they will all have to be for 10th because of the new format.

We will have 2-3 years of New rules for all those units.

That's easily as long as a codex. They might as well make one.

My mind always boggles with GW logic.

TBF, they could just ditch things completely. Meh, when my toys can't be played I'll play something else. Plenty of alternatives out there.

1 minute ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

The Ironic thing about GW saying Legends not being updated and supported is that they will all have to be for 10th because of the new format.

We will have 2-3 years of New rules for all those units.

That's easily as long as a codex. They might as well make one.

My mind always boggles with GW logic.

TBF, they could just ditch things completely. Meh, when my toys can't be played I'll play something else. Plenty of alternatives out 

I'll likely play something else when my toys are broken too. But I like 40K Marines and wanted to play with them.

When it comes to legends, I'm sure updated PDF full armies is possible even if there's no miniature support from the company. It's respectful to the community and keeps people in the game so they'll still buy.

Could argue that's going to be resource, but I bet a single person could be employed to do that all year and he'd still run out of things to do (as they wouldn't need to update constantly) and let's be honest, there's still a lot of business to be had out of us older players who keep our armies.

They'd even be able to utilise a slightly more expensive service of made to order for stuff. Get older and out of print models at cost. Everyone is happy.

Alas, I fear GW is proper corporate now and would never do even close to such a thing.

Pipe dreams...

7 minutes ago, redmapa said:

I was thinking about this the other day and it makes sense but it still is kinda sad, the boxnought is such an icon! My 6 dreads will be sad but not forgotten.

That's the best way to approach it. The original Nintendo Entertainment System is what got me into video games and will always have a special spot in my memories, but not a spot on my TV stand. Sometimes you got to move on. People are getting mad they are not supporting some 25ish year old models that have direct replacements. It would be like being mad at Nintendo for no longer supporting Super Nintendo and making new games for it. Seems weird to me.