Xenith

++Parasite of Mortrex++

LvLnMIE.jpg

Better late than never, and thanks to @Brother nathan for suggesting this unit, one that I admittedly forgot during the UotW series, we finally get around to discussin the Parasite of Mortrex. 10th edition looms large, however there is maybe 2-3 months of 9th left to play with, so lets talk about the ripper-father. 

What are you thoughts, and how best would you use it?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What Hive Fleet Traits, Adaptative Physiologies and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Uses in Matched, Narrative and Open Play

Over to you.

Edited by Xenith
typo

I've never actually gotten to use the PoM in my lists as I didn't pick up the nid codex for 9th as it seemed to be shaping up to be too strong and too unfun for myself or my opponents, however the Parasite itself seems a fun little unit that's hardly broken. In terms of damage output, the parasites ovipositor for me seems a bit weak to reliably push damage through, though the parasite rule only requires a successful wound roll, as opposed to causing a wound to a model, so gets a guardsman on a 2+ and a marine on a 3+.

While ok in combat with a good amount of AP-2 attacks, I dont think it really wants to be in protracted melee.

In terms of hive fleets, Gorgon for adaptive toxins could be fun to make the ovipositor wound most things on a 4+ with a reroll, likewise Kraken might be good to help it push wounds through on backfield units. 

I think iv used it in every game in 9th. More often than not its been a workhorse. It is weak and you do feel its no inv compared to say a lictor and need to pick its targets carefully as its very glass cannony and it wants support. Be it gargoyles or hormagaunts or a lictor or positioned broodlord etc. It wont do everything... but i find its infection rule very powerful. In its first game it cot into cc with a 20man mechanicum unit. Killed a few and infected them... obsec gone.  Now with alien cunning that meant that  this safe objective my opponent had was now mine. That each round they lost more men to infected did help but even with low rolls that wasnt the killer. Obsec changes did.

Elsewise that movement shouldnt be ignored either. 16 inch. Iirc only the flyrant (so important for synapse) and the harpy and drone do better. 

Warlord traits... alien cunning pairs so well with it. I dont think anything else compares as well for it in wl traits

Relics. Iv not had great success with and do feel like its over investment but... iv seen multiple players go with gestation sacs to drop rippers behind enemy lines and gain look out sir which is valid. Rippers are poor this edition. But this sort of use is valid. Elsewise i suppose mawclaws could help boost it. Are any others worthwhile? Im not so sure. As i play kronos primarily iv considered the hive fleet relic to gain from positioning but thatd usless against many armys. 

Hivefleets. Obviously the faster fleets can use it better but i think most do well with it. I use it with kronos so theres no stacking ofrules. Leviathan helps some with survivability but thats little now. 

And finally... you can take multiple... i havent but you can. Against the right army that could be... fun. Against marines itll do less or any multi wound army but anything t3 1 wound it should work well. Its not something that works on its own. It can be a great distraction and can throw a game. Or like it did for me against mech guard be pretty useless and just be used to objective camp... very fun little unit so worth the try!

I'm intrigued to see how the Parasite is done in 10th. I always loved the concept and I kinda hope it gets made into a leader option, if only because a Ripper-centric army sounds fun.

I need to get myself the Parasite model. I actually started converting one from random crap in my bitz box and I'm very pleased with her so far, but the actual model looks great.

Spoiler

DSC03400.thumb.JPG.98c4f479032326d7d0e549650de0326b.JPGDSC03401.thumb.JPG.389240fb4795cda2c8fd5d628dd0110a.JPG

I used the parasite quiet often and with great success.

Its a cheap unit to score some good amount of points with behind enemy lines. Leviathan and a bit of luck for a 3+ to spawn enough ripper to gain los combined with the small base to hide the parasit and no need to spawn the ripper unit wholy within 3" combines to some rly nice plays.

More often then not i just hid the parasite within the enemys deployment zone so my enemys had to dedicate some ressources to get rid of this piece or give up on me gaining 15 vp. I cant give exact numbers but i more often then not scored 10+ vp just because of this combo wich is nice compared to other options nids do have. And even if behind enemy lines wasnt a valid option the parasite is still good enough to throw into some backfield chaff and maybe flip an obj for a turn or as a infanterie action monkey.

That reminds me against deamons managed to infect khorne deamons and spawn to tie down then steal objective off beasts of nurgle to mess with home objective and redirect half of opponents army to deal with it. saved my main line and won me the battle.

Will also edit in pics of what iv been using as parasite as i made it before there was sn official model too and nids should have varients!

Screenshot_20230425_194639_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Brother nathan
Adding pic