Warhammer Fest 40k

16 hours ago, Mr. Oddity said:

For reference, a brief recap of the demo games as discussed on reddit and in the space marine thread:

• 2 v 2 games for better flow of attendees - Marine players had 5 Incinerators and 1 dread each, Tyranid players had 10 gants and a Screamer-Killer each. 2 rounds, single center objective, no secondaries
  • Datasheets used were simplified versions staff called "demo" sheets - not final, may or may not be close to the Combat Patrol versions of the datasheets. Different faction rules than present on WarCom. No faction rules or stratagems officially present, Marines were "allowed" by staff to use a fall back and shoot strat.
  • Combat: same general system, overwatch is one unit/turn and may still be a stratagem. Allowed for shooting at an enemy that ends its move, starts its charge, or ends its charge within range (specific range not specified from material I've seen).
  • Consolidation moves must end within engagement range of an enemy unit or control range of an objective, otherwise not allowed (no free movement).
  • Models cannot be on top of an objective marker, only within the 3" radius of its edge.

Some additional bits to add:

• Torrent weapon ability is just the flamer rule, as expected: auto-hits
  • Blast weapons have changed - they roll one additional attack for every 5 models in the target unit. So, if you're firing at a 30-model unit with a Blast weapon that fires d6 shots, you'll get d6+6 shots total
  • Piling in is the same, but apparently the rules for who can fight is a bit different - a model that is in base contact with an enemy can fight it, as can any models that are in base contact with that first model
  • Desperate escape tests, within the context of being battle shocked and wanting to fall back, are basically a version of combat attrition, so we still have ways for models to flee from a unit. Basically, if you choose to fall back while affected by battle-shock, you roll a die for each model doing so and, for each 1 or 2, that model flees (leaves play)

While light on info, I am excited for the new direction for Crusade and firmly disagree that moving Crusade rules to standalone campaign books will hurt it.  One of the biggest downsides to Crusade was that armies without a codex had to use the generic rules while others were able to enjoy army specific rules.  Consolidating rules for All Armies into the Campaign Setting Books allows everyone to play with new toys from day one.   Hopefully that is how it works (ie rules for all armies) and its not just everyone has a small generic set of upgrades to pick.

32 minutes ago, KingYertle said:

One of the biggest downsides to Crusade was that armies without a codex had to use the generic rules while others were able to enjoy army specific rules. 

That is a fantastic point, and one I hadn't actually considered. Consider me converted over to the idea that this is probably going to be a good thing.

Technically, with campaign books like this you wouldn't risk things getting stale nor would you have to worry about layering too many options. Each campaign book could be its own thing, completely separate.

3 minutes ago, Lemondish said:

That is a fantastic point, and one I hadn't actually considered. Consider me converted over to the idea that this is probably going to be a good thing.

Technically, with campaign books like this you wouldn't risk things getting stale nor would you have to worry about layering too many options. Each campaign book could be its own thing, completely separate.

The Arks of Omen releases were in a similar format to this - Boarding Actions are their own separate game mode with the books specifically designed to add to that game mode, not the whole of the game. They've been very popular as well, so separating off a different type of game (in this case Crusade) from matched play with independent support definitely is a solid option for GW to take.

6 hours ago, lansalt said:

Great stuff except for the new mkIII armour. Why they needed to change the design? Now it breaks visual continuity with even the 40k Death Guard models. It doesn't make sense at all.

There are 40k Deathguard with MKIII of that style. More this style of MKIII than the older style, to be honest. 

Screenshot_20230430_161511_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230430_161555_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Marshal Mittens

6 hours ago, lansalt said:

Great stuff except for the new mkIII armour. Why they needed to change the design? Now it breaks visual continuity with even the 40k Death Guard models. It doesn't make sense at all.

because maintaining the visual continuity with the models in the game and army it is part of is more important than small superficial continuity with another game's army.

The DG 40k minis look closer to upscaled mk3 than these new minis, specially in the articulations and belt area. The details have been clearly redesigned to make them more practical, but not respecting the previous look. Just compare the new mk3 with the classic FW mk3 illustrations.

6 minutes ago, Wispy said:

because maintaining the visual continuity with the models in the game and army it is part of is more important than small superficial continuity with another game's army.

See above. These new models break the visual continuity with everything before in 40k and 30k. And the first it's supposed to be the same universe in the future, anyway.

Edited by lansalt

What I hope is that the previous Crusade content from dexes continues to be valid.

Bespoke campaign content in 9th has been good, but my favourite parts of Crusade have been the faction-based nid and long term goals, and these aren't the sort of thing that get attention in campaign books. Perhaps the first book contains baseline stuff for each faction in addition to campaign specific content?

Changes to core mechanics have already impacted the ability to simply port the existing content into the new game; content that interacted with the psychic phase or psychic powers will require modification in order to survive.

Hopefully there will be a New 40k article about Crusade soon.

7 hours ago, lansalt said:

Don’t spose you could provide a side by side? It doesn’t look too different to me.

25 minutes ago, Arkangilos said:

Don’t spose you could provide a side by side? It doesn’t look too different to me.

Quick and dirty comparison:

1. Square knee pads with rounded side protections
  2. exposed belt buckle
  3. backpack (very minor difference, though)
  4. redesigned Phobos bolter with fat barrel and inline ejection port
  5. redesigned helmet with rounded eye lenses and pickelhaube
  6. raised neck collar instead of a riveted band
  7. elbows with rounded side protections and exposed inner suit mesh

54564646464664646.thumb.png.5c8470bbe518fba086317c60c2101a8c.png

I don’t see what the fuss is about. What minor differences there are between old and new mkiii strike me at least as improvements. 
the bolter in particular is a big one for me, it’s nice to see a redesign that looks like it might actually function.

And the picklehaube is just the swipe of a knife away from being a problem.

Edited by apostle85

I first went to Fest when it was at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry. By 2018, it had clearly outgrown the venue; it had a lot of wonderful content, but it was hard to get to it. Whether it was miniature designers chatting and showing how they did things, or little seminars on painting approaches, or demos of games, or miniatures our on display; the content was great but the venue was poorly suited to what was happening.

I didn't make it to 2019 and then it was to make the shift to the NEC but the end of the world happened. Here we are in 2023 in a massive, massive venue and all the possibilities and...I dunno. Away from the hype of the announcements it was a miss for me.

The word of the event is 'queue'. You pay your money to get into the event and then...queue for eons to pay in the shop. Queue for eons to get into Paint & Take or the hobby challenger. Queue for eons for get a glimpse of the GD entries. Queue to play at a single stand of Squigapult. Queue for entry to the auditorium for a handful of talks. Queue to play Warpforge. Queue to play another videogame. Queue to play a demo game of 40k 10th on a handful of tables.

The tournament hall was abuzz, and picking up games was easy enough, and for that I applaud them. But, as a celebration of all things Warhammer it was sorely lacking - spend less money on 11 foot statues and get a mass of demo tables out, perhaps? Stop assuming that everyone who is into Warhammer is playing everything all of the time. Demos don't just equal things to do, they equal things to sell.

Aside from the bigger venue and a handful of third party stands you could queue at, this was no bigger, better or more amazing than any number of independent tournaments that are held regularly.

Gone is the exceptional content, the peek behind the curtain, the wonderful sense of community engagement through company and customer coming together. In its place, a large broadly empty space with queues and reveals that are probably better consumed online.

In a month it is the UK Games Expo, a celebration of all things tabletop. It is a glorious event, and based on this event and their already existing sponsorship, it's hard to think that GW shouldn't be forging closer relationships with them. GW were late in joining the party there, but there's definitely the opportunity to make it way more about them.

How are they less exciting than the tactical squad exactly?

they seem easily as exciting to me (though I did prefer the sword armed captain from the original ones).

terminator one suffered from awful terminator proportions, but hopefully they’ll do another terminator run with the new style terminators at some point!

47 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

How are they less exciting than the tactical squad exactly?

Well it's as much to do with the regular tactical kit as the Heroes themselves. The tactical squad kit comes with very little in the way of interesting poses or extra parts for the regular marines, you have some freedom with special weapons or how you outfit the Sargent but everyone else is standing still with their bolter across their chest.

The Space Marine heroes tactical squad has marines running into battle, reloading their bolter, leaning back to through a grenade and so on, things that make them unique from the regular kit. Brother Dolor is especially interesting since not only does he have an auspex he's got a hand free to use it and his bolter is hanging from his shoulder. There are some less interesting marine of course but I think most of the set has something to distinguish themselves from the regular box set.

There's less marines this time and I feel 3 or 4 of them could be easily replicated with parts from their respective default sets. The Assault Intercessor really seems like someone I could build now or already have built so does the Heavy Intercessor and them Intercessor on the far left. The reloading marine is slightly more interesting but there are already parts for having a marine reload in the  Intercessor kit, though they do look different. (If anything this is an endorsement of the regular Intecessor kit and it has some great options in there for this kind of thing)

I really like the grenade guy, he's exciting. He has a unique pose and has a bionic arm, and there's not a lot of those in Primaris kits that aren't holding a plasma pistol. I'm excited to get him and I've got a project he will fit into perfectly.

The eliminator would be useful to switch out with one of my guys from Shadowspear since 2 of them are identical or I could add him to the squad since I like my marine squads in 5s or 10s (I know you can't take Elminators in 5s, it's more for display than anything) but he still doesn't feel particularly distinguished from the regular kit.

Edited by CL_Mission
spacing

4 hours ago, CL_Mission said:

Strike Force Justian is maybe the least exciting Space Marine Heroes line so far but I will try to get my hands on the captain and the gentleman throwing the grenade.

Akshually this is the first instance of the Warhammer Heroes line, which is totally different from space marine heroes. :cool: