So about a year for Codex: CSM then. Much better than the 9th edition treatment (though that was only particularly egregious because of the wound disparity). Keen to see what models we get - multipart Chaos Lord please!

1 minute ago, Subtleknife said:

I appreciate the new roadmap. I'm not sure SM should be getting an extra codex (DA) whilst other armies haven't gotten their main army one.

I would argue it's less of an issue with all of them having an Index, especially at the rate of one codex per month.

What I want to know is if whatever shape Emperors Children and/or their specific units will have will be absent from C:CSM.

If this image is the codexes coming this edition it's good news for Templars, as it looks like a full codex for us.

Bad news for the OG supplement codexes.

IMG_0017.png

Edit, it may be the indexes on day one. Either way, Templars fine. (This may seem obvious, but it hasn't been to all.)

Edited by Sword Brother Adelard

6 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

I would argue it's less of an issue with all of them having an Index, especially at the rate of one codex per month.

What I want to know is if whatever shape Emperors Children and/or their specific units will have will be absent from C:CSM.

If indexes are anything like the last lot armies without an index won't be very competitive. I would call that an issue personally.

The release model for codicies is archaic imo. There is no reason why in this day and age with digital rules armies need to wait a year or more to receive a codex which will likely be needed to be relatively competitive. I hope I'm wrong and GW have done a stellar job on the index/codex balance....past experience though has left me jaded.

The roadmap is a step in the right direction though.

Edited by Subtleknife

It's definitely a letdown that we're going to go through the rigmarole of some armies suffering from IndexHammer for two years again.

I guess it at least puts to bed all the fears were people having that the extra special snowflake Marine chapters would be sharing Faction Keywords.

7 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

I would argue it's less of an issue with all of them having an Index, especially at the rate of one codex per month

Except by the end of spring 2024 (so the start of summer 2024, 1 year into the edition) there will only be 9 codexes out. That is not even close to one per month.

1 minute ago, Dried said:

They also said Crusade rules would be sold separately to codex and rulebook...

A really poor decision for me.

But a really great one for the over 50% of the player base that doesn't play crusade, they no longer have to factor that into the cost and size of their codex and rulebook.

12 minutes ago, Dried said:

They also said Crusade rules would be sold separately to codex and rulebook...

A really poor decision for me.

Yeah, rip Crusade. Asking people to pay for it separately is going to kill the system dead.

Most people will be content just going back to leaving it to an event/campaign organiser with Matched Play rules. I personally had no skin in the Crusade system, but I know there was quite a good chunk of people who loved it. 

19 minutes ago, Subtleknife said:

If indexes are anything like the last lot armies without an index won't be very competitive. I would call that an issue personally.

The release model for codicies is archaic imo. There is no reason why in this day and age with digital rules armies need to wait a year or more to receive a codex which will likely be needed to be relatively competitive. I hope I'm wrong and GW have done a stellar job on the index/codex balance....past experience though has left me jaded.

The roadmap is a step in the right direction though.

Oh absolutely, I would've preferred tandem codex in a digital format after a good period off indexhammer, but of course they have to tie it to miniatures and books again.

18 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Except by the end of spring 2024 (so the start of summer 2024, 1 year into the edition) there will only be 9 codexes out. That is not even close to one per month.

Good point, I did only count the actual codex release windows, not the edition window. That means 2 and 1/4 codecies per quarter in the first year, which is still better than the average 9th achieved I think..

However if I were to be cheeky and count Indices that would be 2.9 rulesets per month average, which is hilarious and would be terribly disingenuous of me.

6 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

Good point, I did only count the actual codex release windows, not the edition window. That means 2 and 1/4 codecies per quarter in the first year, which is still better than the average 9th achieved I think..

However if I were to be cheeky and count Indices that would be 2.9 rulesets per month average, which is hilarious and would be terribly disingenuous of me.

The indexes do soften the blow. But it depends on what they do with the indexes. If the indexes are a bulk of the rework and the codexes just a few more detachment bonuses for variety, then I'm fine with a slow release schedule. But if the index is a bandaid and the codex has all the new toys and power creep, then it sucks. Time will tell!

7 minutes ago, marspeople said:

Eldar of both types being held back maybe mean a decent release for both?

Craftworlds need the rest of their old range updated.

And Dark Eldar need a full redo almost.

They don't. At least not more urgently than eldar.

Yes, the "mathematics average" age of their kits are more than 10 years, but most drukhari plastic kits released around 2010, at that timepoint GW plastic techniques already improved, and the quality of these model kits are close to "modern" kits.

It is different situation to eldar, which has multiple ancient garbage kits still on selling and need to be replaced ASAP.