57 minutes ago, Ripper.McGuirl said:

I urge everyone to also remember that their road maps are often wrong. And are more educated guesses than set in stone.

Yeah... but I dont think we ever got things earlier than the roadmap shows, only later ;) So that doesnt really help with the mentioned worries at all.

Its odd though how empty the schedule seems to be for the rest of the year... I think there is a possibility this only shows codexes for armies we allready had.. not necessarily for new ones. (though usually they use [redacted] images for those.) or maybe a serial campaign series more like AoO rather than vigilus, altough these usually happen end of edition. In the end codex and books serve the purpose to better sell the more profitable plastic.. I doubt there will be little of the latter, so it requires more of the former. ( or the Necron and Admech waves are truelly that big.. but I doubt that.)

Yeah im low key astonished some people are credulous enough to think this roadmap is set in stone given GWs history with them. 

I do think its good that GW has been confident enough to be this specific though, perhaps they are getting on top of their production issues, and are confident they can broadly stick to a roadmap up to 9 months ahead now.

(Ofc Leviathan is likely a big source of production issues right now!) 

56 minutes ago, Scribe said:

100% this.

Now that I know the factions Im interested in will be Spring 2024, Ill keep the vault closed till then instead of picking up Necrons or AdMech.

Isn’t that the exact opposite of what you quoted, though?

Edited by Arkangilos

12 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

Yeah... but I dont think we ever got things earlier than the roadmap shows, only later ;) So that doesnt really help with the mentioned worries at all.

Its odd though how empty the schedule seems to be for the rest of the year... I think there is a possibility this only shows codexes for armies we allready had.. not necessarily for new ones. (though usually they use [redacted] images for those.) or maybe a serial campaign series more like AoO rather than vigilus, altough these usually happen end of edition. In the end codex and books serve the purpose to better sell the more profitable plastic.. I doubt there will be little of the latter, so it requires more of the former. ( or the Necron and Admech waves are truelly that big.. but I doubt that.)

Definitely a slower pace than last reset, checking Lexicanum, 2017 July-December had 10 codices. That edition released June 17th, so very close to the speculated 10th edition release date.
AoS 4th is likely to be June/July next year so that will start eating into the timeline with lead-up + release soon enough.

Edited by spessmarine

2 hours ago, Arkangilos said:

I didn’t say not to do books. 
I said do a general release of codices, and before the books are ready they can do an online release. (You buy the book, you get the online pdf, then when logistics are available they can ship the physical copy).

This is assuming my expectations are that they will change. But I never said it would. I merely said what would be a better approach.

My point still stands that you're wanting a release for gamers not for business.

Even if they could release all codexes day one, they won't.

You could take it all the way and ask why are we getting tenth Ed codexes at all. Why aren't we skipping to 11th Ed rules as they'll be all but written based on the timeframes they work to.

Staggered releases tempt impulse purchases of books and armies. Dropping in one go avoids this.

I hear you but there's little point arguing it further as practices won't change. I'll take a drop in power leap from 9th, that'd be something.

1 hour ago, Arkangilos said:

Isn’t that the exact opposite of what you quoted, though?

I dont think so, but its been a long day.

The concept is, if GW releases all the codex at once. I'll get what I want, and nothing more.

If I dont know whats coming, I dont know when I'll be getting what I really want, so maybe I pick up what I 75% want instead.

Like my 10th edition plan was either (forever) CSM, Orks, Necrons, Custodes, Admech, or Blood Angels.

CSM/Orks are Spring 2024, so, I'll sit on my hands and wait.

Just now, Scribe said:

I dont think so, but its been a long day.

The concept is, if GW releases all the codex at once. I'll get what I want, and nothing more.

If I dont know whats coming, I dont know when I'll be getting what I really want, so maybe I pick up what I 75% want instead.

Like my 10th edition plan was either (forever) CSM, Orks, Necrons, Custodes, Admech, or Blood Angels.

CSM/Orks are Spring 2024, so, I'll sit on my hands and wait.

Oh ok no, yeah that’s what he said

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

Yeah im low key astonished some people are credulous enough to think this roadmap is set in stone given GWs history with them. 

I do think its good that GW has been confident enough to be this specific though, perhaps they are getting on top of their production issues, and are confident they can broadly stick to a roadmap up to 9 months ahead now.

And of course, I still don't know how GW defines seasons. What are the winter months for them? What I am familiar with would have winter 2023 as January-March 2023.

6 hours ago, Hellex_The_Thanatar said:

Not sure if mentioned but custodes are still custodes. Not talons. Why? Dunno. And to my knowledge still no word on if forge world models are in or out or how they will be released along side index's are there??

They've reversed course a bit, but historically FW and GW acting like separate companies that don't want to cooperate has bugged me plenty.

18 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

If indexes are anything like the last lot armies without an index won't be very competitive. I would call that an issue personally.

The release model for codicies is archaic imo. There is no reason why in this day and age with digital rules armies need to wait a year or more to receive a codex which will likely be needed to be relatively competitive. I hope I'm wrong and GW have done a stellar job on the index/codex balance....past experience though has left me jaded.

The roadmap is a step in the right direction though.

There are people who will buy most anything... they get sucked in every new codex to start or restart an army, that is why they are spaced out. If you just play the same army for ten or twenty years you are in the minority. Look at the shiny new Tyranids, have you always wanted to play Tyranids... That is why things are spaced out, people have a budget or they should have a budget but they can spend so much money per month, per quarter, that is why things are spread out.

1 hour ago, 01RTB01 said:

My point still stands that you're wanting a release for gamers not for business.

Even if they could release all codexes day one, they won't.

You could take it all the way and ask why are we getting tenth Ed codexes at all. Why aren't we skipping to 11th Ed rules as they'll be all but written based on the timeframes they work to.

Staggered releases tempt impulse purchases of books and armies. Dropping in one go avoids this.

I hear you but there's little point arguing it further as practices won't change. I'll take a drop in power leap from 9th, that'd be something.

Sorry for the late response.

I generally agree if it were a vacuum and there was nothing left to fill it. But it isn't. 

The argument would be something like this:

All codices are available for purchase within a few months of each other. Due to logistics, not all codices will be published in hard form all at once. However, you can get a PDF version while you wait for yours to be in print.

Then there are two things that would help impulse buyers still have the impulses:

1) When the hard form releases (staggered, like now), you pump it up. 

2) What was before was a codex specific release for a new 'dex would be a Box, the now printed codex, and a campaign focused around it. This would still drive impulse sales.

Right now, they aren't going to get any money out of me outside of the new models. However, if they released the codex I would buy the codex. Then when the codex is released in hard form I will receive the hard form (as part of my current purchase), and then I would very likely buy any crusade and campaign book that comes with it. I would not do that otherwise. 

Now, it is possible that I am a very small minority, but because they haven't tried it, we cannot be sure that it wouldn't work. 

Anyways, my initial intent was not to change GW mind, like my posts have all said all of this was about the single post that said, "People- complain about no road map. Also people: complain when they get a road map because their faction isn't first." 

The whole point of my reply was that we were not complaining that our release was not first. It was simply to say that the complaint is because the road map means some of our armies won't have anything until the edition is already over halfway over. 

Edit to add:

Also, I used to do Continuous Improvement for a business, and one of the most common and reductive arguments was, "But that's good for such and such but not good for business". It ended up almost never being true, and when that argument gets removed businesses can work out the idea and make it good for business. (Not counting ideological stuff. Purely speaking of release and production).

Edited by Arkangilos

3 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

Would every faction receive at least 1 new model kit when its 10th codex released?

That seems to be implied based on the comments from the livestream. We're most likely looking at a mix of new models and re-sculpts of finecast models in plastic depending on the individual model lines currently available.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Oddity said:

That seems to be implied based on the comments from the livestream. We're most likely looking at a mix of new models and re-sculpts of finecast models in plastic depending on the individual model lines currently available.

Likely the trend GW has going since I'm not sure how long, book + one character. Unless you luck out and get a whole bunch of things, like looking at the AoS books the last while it has been book + hero for the most part except for lizzies with book + bucket of models.

Dark Angels of course, being the all-but-guaranteed bucket of models slot for 40k.

We have been going with at least 1 model for nearly each faction for a while now so that wouldn't be surprising, what will be interesting is if that only covers the 9 shown codexes or all 10th edition ones and if it will be a unit or just a single character.

Sadly since Chaos/Imperial Knights seem to be combined into Knight households now based on what they showed on stream we won't get both a new Chaos and Imperial knight and since Harlequins are part of Craftworlds now they also won't necessarily get something. But at least deathwatch might be getting something this way unless they just count the new generic SM units

Edited by Matrindur

It’s not just a matter of maximising sales, but also to avoid publishing rules for something that doesn’t exist yet.

Some armies will receive nothing or just one new plastic character, but some of them will receive a wave of new stuff (think Votann wave 2). 
Why would GW publish Votann wave 2’s rules 12-18-24 months in advance before the release of the miniatures, only to incentivise someone to design and sell 3D prints of unofficial models in the meantime?

If miniature releases are staggered, book releases must be as well. 
It sucks for us gamers but it just makes sense for GW.

36 minutes ago, AenarIT said:

Why would GW publish Votann wave 2’s rules 12-18-24 months in advance before the release of the miniatures, only to incentivise someone to design and sell 3D prints of unofficial models in the meantime?

Who says those can't be added via a campaign book, or a Codex 2.0 (the campaign book introduced new characters and units in this edition and 7th edition as well).

Heck, the way units are in this new edition you don't even need a codex. You can literally just release the unit rules on a PDF and you can download and print it. That is one of the appeals they advertised of this new edition.

Mainly I’m mocking the internet, that is entirely contradictory and has the impulse control of a two year old on sugar. 

cf lots of things, but in a GW context, complaining about hype, then complaining about lack of information; complaining about scalpers, then buying off scalpers; wanting the next HH book now, and then complaining about the book arriving; complaining about GW full stop. 

I mean, if it causes you so much angst, why not step away from it all? GW are going to GW, that’s the way the world goes. 

22 hours ago, TheMarsian said:

+++ EARLY CODEX APPROVAL +++

in all seriouseness tho - theyve said that our entire armys rules will be fitted on a 2 sided paper, what will they sell us in the new codexes if they want to avoid bloat/going beyond that 2 side count?

Fluff and pretty pictures! It's what most codexes are made of :)

2 hours ago, AenarIT said:

Uhhh they don't have to be in the codex that comes out 12-18-24 months earlier than the kit? The rules/datasheet could go online for free and or in the box when the handful of kits come out, and just get added to the next editions codex.

1 hour ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Codices probably can't go faster, they're limited by the speed of design and production and shipping of new plastic units.

Well that and they will want to space out profits, another reason why they will never ever release codexs all at once:yes:

What better way for GW to get us hyped for Epic 40k this Autumn than by releasing 10th this summer but slow walking the codexes :biggrin:

The legends thing is interesting. Theres been rumours of Landspeeders and maybe vanilla dreads moving to legends? They might consolidate some more datasheets too like Predators and Landraiders, but maybe theyll move some Marine codex stuff to Forgeworld/Imperial armour like Contemptor Dreads?

Edited by Dark Shepherd