Go to solution Solved by WrathOfTheLion,

2 hours ago, Xenith said:

I have always thought that TS should not have to take psychic tests, being masters of the mystic arts, and in 3rd that was what the MoT granted. I'd hope for strong baseline spells, and very strong, but hazardous suped up versions of them. 

This as been my wishlist item for many years. What differentiates us from the other 2 psychic powerhouse armies (grey knights and eldar) is our mastery over the mystic arts, but also our greed and penchent for pushing things too far(we have a history of this sort of behavior:biggrin:). 

I think its fitting eldar have no hazards on their powers. So far nothing groundbreaking, disciplined, yet measured powers with no fear of hazard. Grey knights I hope for something similar. 

For us, I hope for most(if not all) of our powers to have a normal version(like what we have seen so far), but then have a particularly nasty alt version that is hazardous.  Representing our psychic might, but at a cost. Only Magnus has the ability to ignore all hazards completely. This would introduce an opportunity to include a rule to sacrifice cultists or perhaps even tzaangor in order for the hazard affects to float on to them instead of the sorcerer. 

One can dream, I mostly expect to see something similar to what we have seen on the librian/ork datasheet. 

Edited by Ahzek451

1 hour ago, Ahzek451 said:

This would introduce an opportunity to include a rule to sacrifice cultists or perhaps even tzaangor in order for the hazard affects to float on to them instead of the sorcerer.

This is a thing in HH 2.0, isn't it?
Librarians, Esoterists, etc. can pass off their perils damage to the Squad they're attached to iirc.

With Characters joining units now, this could be a thing we can do now, if it's not just an inherent trait of Psykers that can squad up.

With the shift on how psychic works, here's hoping they give proper attention to the rest of the non-psychic units. I love rules that make sense lore-wise. With all the unique weapon stats being baked into datasheets, crossing fingers that all bolt weapons mounted on vehicles and such will get inferno bolts. 

I know the running gag is tzaangor hate, but also crossing fingers that laspistol/chainsword option will be more viable this round. Make tzaangor enlightened more useful(likely become a sniper option this edition), and make the mutalith more ineresting. 

5 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Maybe a third spell level, where the first is non-hazardous, the second has a chance of perils, and the third is a guaranteed perils, but really powerful spell?

Probably would only work for Characters with multiple Wounds, otherwise a Garunteed "blow up your Aspiring Sorcerer" spell might not be as appealing.

15 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Probably would only work for Characters with multiple Wounds, otherwise a Garunteed "blow up your Aspiring Sorcerer" spell might not be as appealing.

Isn't perils just on the unit, unless you choose to take it on a CHARACTER, in which case it's 3 mortals? 

When I say big dangerous spell, I'm thinking along the lines of knight powerfist level, 4A S14 D6+3D. I'd occasionally sacrifice a sorcerer to potentially drop 24 Damage on something! 

I dunno. 

To be honest, seeing the Sisters of Silence datasheet makes me really hope that inferno bolts don't have the psychic keyword. So far it really seems like the keyword is a liability with no benefit. 

aOPMsSRKGb8BDRqX.jpg

This would be a very typical "anti-psychic" unit in 10th. You could see it only has built-in protection against psychic ATTACKS, but can do nothing about preventing a buff/debuff psychic going off.

True, but if darn near everything in the tson's army is psychic attacks, then units like that will be a nightmare. Also keep in mind that a terminator librarian also grants a 4+++ vs psychic attacks. 

that would make terminators led by a librarian nearly impossible for us to shift. 

just saying. 

We are starting to see other types of Psychic powers, not just attacks. We have seen plenty of buffs already (Fortune, Veil of Time) but the Abominant has the first Hex we have seen for 10th edition in the shape of Vortex Terrors. SoS have no particular defense against that so if we get more in the 1KSons line, that should be a way to impede the enemy without having to resort to "mind bullets".

tgUHNJauLfSE6fTv.jpg

Yea, maybe an oversight that direct mortal psychic abilities are nt ignored by the sisters/other?

Either way, plenty of scope to give TS varied things. I don't see inferno shells getting the PSYCHIC keyword. 

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

Yea, maybe an oversight that direct mortal psychic abilities are nt ignored by the sisters/other?

Either way, plenty of scope to give TS varied things. I don't see inferno shells getting the PSYCHIC keyword. 

Original wording of 10th rules:

"If a psychic weapon or ability cause any unit to suffer one or more wounds, each of those wounds is considered to have been inflicted by a psychic attack."

• Solution

The faction focus is out here. For psychic powers, the simple summary is that we get a set of extra powers we spend cabal points on that can be used by any Psyker model (so characters, Aspiring Sorcerers, etc.).

Very flexible and I think pretty great. There's a good mix of debuffs, utility/movement powers, damage and buffs in the six available.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Cabal of Sorcerers rules and the Rubric Marines seem pretty decent, though going back down to M 5" kinda sucks. Keeping the 5+ invul is nice to have, but with most anti-infantry weapons having less AP, I don't see it seeing having as much play. Hopefully our vehicles keep it too, but I'm not holding my breath!

At first glance I started getting a little salty about Inferno Boltguns looking like inferior Bolt Rifles, but the special rules on the squad itself make up for that in a big way. Warpsmite also looks decent too. 

However, I'm still incredibly worried about our anti-tank options, and depending on what he's allowed to lead (both on foot and mounted on disk), Ahriman might be awesome, or horrible. He himself is a tiny sliver of the psychic powerhouse that he once was, but giving a big brick of SOT's +1 wound would be pretty big, especially if you turn off enemy armor saves!

I'm kinda curious if there's going to be enough psychic attacks for Kindred Sorcerers to make much impact. Ahriman has one shot, and the aspiring sorcerers have two. We'll have to see when the index comes out!

Edited by Paladin777

Its nice to see the standard boltgun for marines is 2 shots no rapid fire, while non-marines are subject to rapid fire. 

And I read throught the cult of magic detachment rules too quick. I failed to read that the affects only apply to psychic weapons. I will be curious to see what other powers there are, I was surprised to see ahriman only had one power listed. 

I agree with the boltgun comment, and I did the same thing with Kindred Sorcery. The Cabal of Sorcerers is cool, but ultimately the psychic abilities of the individual models previewed, especially Ahriman, leaves something to be desired.

Edited by Paladin777

I like that Cabal points are still a thing. I really enjoyed them in 9th. They added a lot of flexibility and combo potential.

But Ahriman seems a lot less ... essential. Maybe that is by design? Ahriman was always an auto include for me in 9th.

6 hours ago, Ahzek451 said:

Its nice to see the standard boltgun for marines is 2 shots no rapid fire, while non-marines are subject to rapid fire. 

And I read throught the cult of magic detachment rules too quick. I failed to read that the affects only apply to psychic weapons. I will be curious to see what other powers there are, I was surprised to see ahriman only had one power listed. 

Sounds to me that there wont be additional 'powers' as they got rolled into other abilities/auras/cabal stuff.

My issues are once again no real anti-tank outside of what looks like a mandatory Vortex Beast and no MW output and with cabal points being a very big part of how TSons play most lists wont be able to afford to take any units that dont generate cabal points.

Maybe the heldrake will finally be decent? :biggrin:

Oh GW, just fill out the army already with new toys. 

At the bottom of the article :

“Magnus is also getting a real eye in this edition, with one of the most potent single profiles in the game. He shows his love for his misbegotten sons with a choice of auras that allow him to boost their mobility and offensive prowess – or he can play more selfishly, reducing Damage of incoming attacks and sabotaging enemy ranged weapons. Thousand Sons are replete with tricks and twists that are bound to make your opponent’s head swim – just be sure to bring plenty of psykers.”

The baleflamer has also already been previewed, and it's less than impressive for being the only weapon on a flyer. The heldrake's melee damage has also only ever been ok against things that aren't enemy flyers. 

C4E1DE20-9D7F-49F7-BEAA-F649E1940B75.jpeg

Edited by Paladin777